The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

Mostly because we didn't have what we had last year. Players stepping up when needed. Torres, Higgins, Lappy, Burrows when the Sedins couldn't score. Kesler carried the Canucks in the Nashville series. It was picture perfect until the team got pushed around like the Chicago series when they had Byfuglien. This year we had no one step up when Kesler and the Sedins couldn't produce.

Last year was amazing, no matter how bad it looked we always found a way to win. Whether it was one goal games, or high scoring the Canucks adapted. That's why they were so successful. But I still haven't seen them deal with teams that get in their faces.

Our season was lost when Daniel went out, lets face it.

The Sedins are not the same players when they're apart. If they're together from the start, we likely don't lose game two, because our powerplay would have been clicking, and we likely don't lose game 3 because we would likely get at least one goal from them.

We can thank Duncan Keith for our season ending like this. Lets just hope karma pays his team back.

And during those times that we WERE able to get the puck out of our zone, we need someone who can shoot the puck worth a damn. Here's a little known fact. This year, out of all of our forwards, Cody Hodgson had the highest goals/shots of 15.4%.

It's so easy to say "oh yea so-and-so wouldn't have made a difference", when in fact, it's usually only a couple of players that make a difference in a playoff series. I would take my chances with Hodgson over Kassian and/or Kesler.

I don't blame Gillis for the wrong trade because he tried to get what AV wanted/needed based on their communication. But somehow it really bothers me is AV doesn't utilize Gillis' picks sometimes ( like Ballard last year?). That's an evidence of bad communication between team and management. One has to go and I pick AV.

Oh right, I forgot. "Elite" players like Parise are so common these days. Why didn't we get 2 or 3 of them?

Sorry but Booth was supposed to be that "elite" winger Gillis was hoping for. Samuelsson was one of the best 2nd line winger we had in recent years.

The problem i have with the Hodgson trade is that any plan for NEXT season involving him is now toast.  It's like starting over again.  

Unless Gillis has a few major moves coming through in the summer, this team might start a real decline.  Cheers.

TOML

I really find the "AV coached us to President's trophys" argument to be something that needs an asterix beside it. He was the only canuck coach to have a goalie like Luongo - Luongo flat out won AV's coach of the year award for him, he was unearthly that year. When luongo was an average tender, AV's coaching couldn't get the team into the playoffs. That doesn't say "great coach" it says "great goaltending carried him". And then he's gifted with back to back Art Ross trophy winners, a Selke trophy winner, and the emergence of a goaltender as good or possibly better than Luongo.

A team that deep could be coached by a cardboard cutout and make the playoffs.

AV simply has shown he can coach a good roster when the competition is not so stiff. He got out-coached by virtually every coach in every series here. Against Chicago, a fluky giveaway in game 7 OT saved us or we'd never have made it out of the first round last year, not a lot different from this year...

Give the core of this team a coach who can out-coach other coaches and adjust on the fly when a coach tries to counter what he's doing, and you'll see the difference...

Archived