The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

Just read Tony Gallagher's follwing article in the Province this morning,

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1sqsjgdft

In it is says this,

"And practically speaking, exchanging Samme Pahlsson for Cody Hodgson in a lineup already having trouble scoring? That was something Mike Gillis got talked into by his staff but the buck stops with him."

Really Tony? And how would you know that? In reality, this is Gillis realizing now that the Hodgson trade sucked and blaming his scouts and getting Tony to write about it in the paper.

Remember Tony was also the one who leaked the info about Hodsgon demanding more icetime.

Gallagher obviously is a complete shill for Mike Gillis.

Btw, based on all the criticism Tony has wrote about AV this year I think it is clear Gillis is going to let AV go.

Gallagher's latest on AV from the same above article.

"There are people in this town who won't hear a negative word about Vigneault. None of it could be his doing they argue because he got them to the Stanley Cup final last year and therefore is beyond reproach. But how can you bring him back after this? How long can you cling to this narrative in the light of some of the comments after the game is a mystery."

AV is a fine coach in the regular season, but fails to adapt in a series of games where the opposing coach can come up with a counter attack. But AV is not the only one to be blamed. Gillis himself for making some questionable trades (Hodgson) should be blamed. Certain key players just not performing as well as they should, or decided to do things their way by not passing the puck, must also be blamed.

"If anyone calls this organization from Florida in the future, the staff should be instructed to hang up."

I agree. Stop picking up trash from Florida please.

Newell Brown can't get the powerplay to work = Fail

Rick Bowness can't get the D pairings right and they continue to meltdown = Fail

AV mixes lines and can't get the team to produce offensively = Fail

I don't see how any of the coaching staff survives this, except for maybe Rollie Melanson.

WOW thanks MG. You trade a real star in the NHL for 2 scratches. THANKS!!! Oh ya Thanks again for another presidents trophy. I just love these piling up. If your goal is to have a great regular season team , full points to you!

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Guest BuckFoston

That is not what this topic is about. This topic is about the fact Mike Gillis knows he is getting heat about the trade and is trying indirectly through Tony Gallagher to pass the blame onto his scouts.

MG should fire AV and get a coach in here who is more willing to work with our young talent and actually let them play. Enough with hindering the development of our young players. I know we're built like the Detroit model, but I find it frustrating drafting players we never see (if at all) until years down the road, even if they have the talent to step in sooner. It sure would be nice to do what Philly did and re-tool this team with the assets we have and acquire some top franchise type youth. This team is getting old and we need to transition this team now onto a post Sedin era path before it's too late to get anything for the assets we have. Let's get some young guns like Philadelphia did. It worked for them quite well and with no drop-off in team performance. The truth of the matter is we have to give up assets to get assets and they won't be easy decisions but MG needs to be more bold like Holmgren and rework this roster. It needs attention.

I say if we can get the 2nd pick in this year's draft, DO IT! We need an infusion of this type of top end youth. If the only way to do it is to trade Schneider to Columbus then so be it. We'll get back more than we'll ever be giving up. After seeing how Schneider handled himself in these playoffs, Columbus has probably made it top priority to get him and I believe they will pay MG's price and then some! We could hit a home run here and should. It'd be nice to get Johansen from them as well. If I were MG, I'd really try to get their 1st rounder for next year as well. It could turn into a significant player for us. At any rate, Gillis has used up the luxury of standing pat and only adding smaller pieces to the mix every year. That plan is tiresome. He is in the unenviable position of having to do something significant. He can't hide any more from making serious changes. He must re-establish trust with the public especially after how he handled the Hodgson trade. He needs to look at new ways of making this team competitive and it might involve some major changes that (hopefully) will make us all forget his previous mistakes. He has to save himself now and that is why I think he'll make those changes happen, starting with the imminent firing of AV.

I forgot wonder boy Hodgson, who had 1 point in the playoffs, would have solved all of our problems. Hodgson did not have the speed or grit to be able to outmuscle the Kings D. If guys like Burrows, Kesler, and Higgins couldn't do it, Hodgson wouldn't either.

Our problems ran deeper than having a third line center. If we're struggling for 2/3 of a game to get the puck out of our zone, we're probably not going to win.

And during those times that we WERE able to get the puck out of our zone, we need someone who can shoot the puck worth a damn. Here's a little known fact. This year, out of all of our forwards, Cody Hodgson had the highest goals/shots of 15.4%.

It's so easy to say "oh yea so-and-so wouldn't have made a difference", when in fact, it's usually only a couple of players that make a difference in a playoff series. I would take my chances with Hodgson over Kassian and/or Kesler.

Archived