The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis Passing The Buck On Hodgson Trade Through His Media Shill

gradin123

Gillis is still living off the legacy he received when he got here; eg. the twins, Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Salo, the goalies. He's done nothing. (Apart from trading away draft picks and prospects that is.) He was never a GM and he's shown it. His terrible trades have done this team in.

- I can't see this team getting better, as there are no prospects it's just a long, slow decline. (If we're lucky.)

Just read Tony Gallagher's follwing article in the Province this morning,

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1sqsjgdft

In it is says this,

"And practically speaking, exchanging Samme Pahlsson for Cody Hodgson in a lineup already having trouble scoring? That was something Mike Gillis got talked into by his staff but the buck stops with him."

Really Tony? And how would you know that? In reality, this is Gillis realizing now that the Hodgson trade sucked and blaming his scouts and getting Tony to write about it in the paper.

Remember Tony was also the one who leaked the info about Hodsgon demanding more icetime.

Gallagher obviously is a complete shill for Mike Gillis.

As admiring as I was of Gillis's job last year; I called him out for not picking up a big , high quality, defender. In my view, with CoHo coming down the pipe, that was the only short & long term major piece needed by the team. We did do a decent job of picking up depth, but not get that defender. I also criticized AV for not putting a big forward, Kesler was my preference or Torres, with the Twins when they had match up problems. But this year, the buck does stop with MG!

Unfortunately, the team looked in every way like it was reserving its energy for the play off's.

I find it hard to blame AV, because he managed to scrap together a Presidents trophy when its four best players (Sedin, Sedin, Kesler & Lou) all had significant drop off's in their performance. Thats when the team needs young, invigorated, talent like Hodgson to push and make the difference, not get traded. And you trade for a Claude Lemieux type player, who had a cross to bear and would give anything for a ring on his finger, not some young guy who has not earned his spot yet? The team played like it was let down for weeks after the deadline!

And a Gaustad (or Pahlsson or Hodgson) would have been great to have in place to sit Kesler back on the 4th line. He scored no goals & 1 point in ten games, while playing very ordinary. The coach tried all kinds of combinations (Bitz, Lapierre, Kassian, Raymond) but really did not have the option he needed. Nothing motivates a guy like Kesler, resting on his laurels, better than a young gun getting his shifts. Even better if he blasts the game winner past the worlds best goalie. We let the team down by letting Hodgson go.

And even more important (as I suggested would be the case), our D was toooo small. Dustin's Penner & Brown ate up Tanev playing with Hamhuis in game 1. And kept us under pressure jumping into Bieksa (who played like he was injured) after. Edler was completely handcuffed. We needed a BIG smash mouth defender to equalize size problems, and someone to lug the puck up ice. The Kings clogged the neutral zone and our breakout passes. LA also managed to create pressure & turnovers with their fore-check. Its why our scoring was down. We never even got up ice to set up. From day 1 this year, we needed a big mobile defender (Hamhuis is a defensive D-man, a different talent) to take pressure off.

MG did not give AV the right players; and No crappy article will have much influence on that!

Just read Tony Gallagher's follwing article in the Province this morning,

http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1sqsjgdft

In it is says this,

"And practically speaking, exchanging Samme Pahlsson for Cody Hodgson in a lineup already having trouble scoring? That was something Mike Gillis got talked into by his staff but the buck stops with him."

Really Tony? And how would you know that? In reality, this is Gillis realizing now that the Hodgson trade sucked and blaming his scouts and getting Tony to write about it in the paper.

Remember Tony was also the one who leaked the info about Hodsgon demanding more icetime.

Gallagher obviously is a complete shill for Mike Gillis.

Newell Brown can't get the powerplay to work = Fail

Rick Bowness can't get the D pairings right and they continue to meltdown = Fail

AV mixes lines and can't get the team to produce offensively = Fail

I don't see how any of the coaching staff survives this, except for maybe Rollie Melanson.

I do like Gillis, but he really hasn't done anything to justify being a "great" GM. The core is from Burke/Nonis and all he's done is manage to sign extensions.

He trades away the brightest star forward prospect we've had in... Since the Sedins?

NONE of the trades he has made has really made us better.

The Hamhuis signing was probably the easiest he could ever have made - Hamhuis did have his rights traded 2x, and then it was basically him telling Gillis "I'm playing for Vancouver".

So yeah, nothing really outstanding on Gillis' part.... I am SURE the Aquilini's will look at the management of this team. They just lost probably around $10,000,000 with Vancouver not playing as they should and going further.

AS FOR AV...

NOBODY knows how Hodgson would have done in the playoffs. NOBODY knows how Grabner would have done with another year here in Van. NOBODY knows how Shirokov would have done given a fair chance. So people can stop saying "So and so wouldn't have done anything in the playoffs anyways". You don't know that.

What we DO know is that those 3 players were all skilled players. And AV has effectively depleted our skilled prospect pool, which is a HUGE blow to the team. Yes Gillis traded them, but AV dictated how they were being used. If they weren't being used, Gillis had to do something with them.

I highly doubt Gillis gets canned. AV on the other really needs to go. There has been too much subtraction of skilled young players for the average plug. And I'm pretty tired of it.

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

Is it totally unpalatable that AV talked MG into the deadline deals? A good GM gives his coach the proper tools. You wouldn't see Doug Armstrong sign Semin in the offseason, because he wouldn't jell with Hitchcock's style of play.

AV wanted 2 shutdown lines. He got them.

I think we need to calm down.

Firstly MG will NOT get rid of AV, not this year at least. That is not his style, he is a guy with a moral ethic and he knows it is easy to have a pat season after the kind of season we had last year. Even then we came through and won the PT.

We had players recovering from injury and we had players who we thought might have made a difference getting injured before we got going. The fact is however we were unable to acquire the type of player that would have made a real difference in the top 6 and in the defence.

I for one was really annoyed at the Booth trade and am on record at the time. I took the time to go back using GC Live and look at his style and performance in Florida. I thought then, that his style wouldn't change with us and it hasn't. His one handed play gives him little or no options. He is not a bust yet, but he needs to change style and play a team game, that is the only way he will be effective.

We thought we had depth but in the SC physical impact and ability to snipe goals trumps depth. Too many of our players lost form and too many were too similar. Even a player who has lost his scoring touch can make an impact if he is big enough.

Regards Hodgson, I agree with DN above. He wasn't going to alter the course of these games. In fact I suspect he would have been ground out of them due to his lack of speed and physicality. What we needed was a Perry or a Getzlaf, we got Kassian.

I still think we need to give AV and his coaches another season but even they will know this market has limited patience. MG in my opinion let AV down in that he, over the season, failed to get the big gritty sniper or the imposing D AV really needed. The two pieces in fact most of us KNEW we needed. He must get them now because bargain basement, and rehab acquisitions only get you so far in the long run

LA invested in Richards and Carter. Two players who were instrumental in putting us out. Gillis must make a similar move if we are to impose ourselves on our opponents.

You can't put this on Gillis.

Was he the one playing out there? No.

How many of our payers actually showed up for any of the games?

Burrows - 1 goal, Kesler - 0 goals, Booth - 0 goals, Raymond - 0 goals, Higgins -0 goals, Hansen - 1 goal, Pahlsson - 1 goal.

We had no offence other than a couple of players. And our D couldn't even get the puck out of our zone.

Hodgson would not have made the any difference in this series.

Its all media hype.i mean thats Tony's job is to state what he sees and that is not always the way it is.MG said he would trade any unhappy player and he got what he thought was the best deal.the players we got back are still young so dont go thinking they wont be good.AV well what can you say he did his best with what he had, the Canucks did for 70% of the series play as good and better then LA but we lost.So dont go blamming the coaches or goalies, its a team game and LA just had better luck.I think the team will take a hard look at players and decide which goalie to trade the best deal right now would be with edmonton for two first round picks including this years and whatever else we could get for schnieder, even though I think luo should be the one dealt to an eastern team for a 40 goal scorer and ehatever else we can get.The second line needs a pure goal scorer for us to reach the next level and one good stay at home D man who can hand out punishment.

I'm one of the few who really likes Gallagher and appreciates his approach to writing his columns. Sometimes he can be a bit negative but honestly, I'd rather read a guy tell it like it is, a guy who writes like he relates to the fans, than a cheerleader or someone who writes without any hint of personal investment in the team. Journalism is supposed to be objective, yes, but personally I like a bit of feeling and emotion and from that article I can tell Gallagher is upset at the Canucks this year. THAT is what I want to read. I watched the game, I don't need a report on it.

Kudos, Gallagher.

The deal gave AV the tools he thought the team would need. And honestly, I don't think Hodgson would have gotten the 14 minutes of ATOI that Pahlsson got. In a defensively tight series, Hodgson would have sat on the bench or in the press box.

Big changes aren't necessary, and Gillis is smart enough to not make them.

Biggest mistake they can make is to blow up a team that's as good as this one. All it needs is some upgrades in certain areas and they'll be ready to take a longer run next season.

A long offseason should benefit this team alot. Clearly they didn't have it in them this season after last years crushing defeat.

Big changes worked for Philly. They made the finals in 2010 and blew up their core soon after. Now look at them. Hungrier, faster, younger, bigger, tougher, etc.

minor tinkering won't work with this team. They're going to have to make some significant moves in order to get to the next level.

Archived