Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Seismic Move

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:53 AM

I feel that Mike Gillis will still decide to move Cory Schneider despite all of the speculation regarding Roberto Luongo's future with the team because he will try to save face and show confidence in his decision to give Roberto a 12 year contract. With that said, if contract talks break down this summer between Zach Parise and Lou Lamoriello, a potential trading partner could be had in New Jersey. However unrealistic, crazy and risky this trade may be, it could bring significant improvements to both sides in a perfect world:

To New Jersey:

G Cory Schneider

LW David Booth

To Vancouver:

Rights to Zach Parise

D Henrik Tallinder

2012 1st Round Pick

Conditional 2013 2nd

David Booth helps fill the loss of Zach Parise up front for the Devils while off-setting (cap-wise) the acquisition of Henrik Tallinder, who would bring a calming presence to the Canucks blue-line with his strong positioning and big frame. New Jersey obviously solves their biggest need in goal with the addition of Cory Schneider, while Vancouver improves their defence and their attack with a more skilled forward that would likely mesh better with Ryan Kesler and provide another potential gamebreaker in his own right. The Canucks also receive the 1st round pick, receiving a bit more fair of a return for the franchise goaltender, and just in case Vancouver isn't able to lock up Parise, the 2nd is there to make it less of a blow, although I don't see that being an issue if these are the assets MG is moving to acquire such a dynamic forward.

I see these two teams in a similar position with Parise and Schneider. They both locked up a player long term (Roberto Luongo for VAN and Ilya Kovalchuk for NJ) and a short while later they now have a player at the same position up for a contract that they'd probably prefer to have locked up. This deal addresses the situation for both clubs and spreads their wealth of assets out better in terms of both respective team needs.

This is a far riskier and unrealistic proposal than the norm for me, but I figured I'd have fun with it and I feel that paired with whatever other potential trades and signings that are pulled off in the summer by our GM that this makes the Vancouver Canucks a far more dangerous team moving forward.

Edited by Touchet, 23 April 2012 - 05:47 AM.

troll-dad-jump.pngtroll-dad-jump.png

#2 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

no way too much of a gamble
Posted Image

#3 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

you know what, if parise was an RFA then id be down but since noone can get a handle on what he is planning...im not on board. tallinder has missed a lot of time this season and i think he feels most comfortable on the left side on D so he wouldnt fit
Posted Image

#4 johntobes

johntobes

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Terrible. Parise won't sign here. He's a proud American with to many Big name American cities with cap space. No way he chooses Vancouver over Detroit, Boston, Chicago, or his hometown.

#5 underrated

underrated

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Terrible. Parise won't sign here. He's a proud American with to many Big name American cities with cap space. No way he chooses Vancouver over Detroit, Boston, Chicago, or his hometown.

That is probably very true. I would hope that Kesler would be able to convince him. Even with the first round exit, Vancouver is seen as one of the best teams in the league, a beautiful place to live, and a GM who goes the extra mile for his players. The chance to play with Kesler and Booth may be enticing to him. I hope!

#6 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

That is probably very true. I would hope that Kesler would be able to convince him. Even with the first round exit, Vancouver is seen as one of the best teams in the league, a beautiful place to live, and a GM who goes the extra mile for his players. The chance to play with Kesler and Booth may be enticing to him. I hope!

lol booth was part of the trade

#7 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

First off, I wouldn't label it as "terrible" and I also wouldn't count us totally out of the running, especially if we acquire his rights and show him we want him here. Ryan Kesler is obviously a proud American as well, yet he took a discount just to stay in Canada, and if Parise sees what an ideal situation he could be stepping into here he may be inclined to sign. The teams you mention also don't seem to be as a good of a fit as you'd think: Detroit will probably spend their cap on defence as it is a more pressing need if Lidstrom retires and Brad Stuart leaves and Boston and Chicago both have an exceptional nucleus of forwards so I don't see them shelling out money for him either. I could see Minnesota and Carolina taking serious runs at him though, but the big American teams you generally mentioned probably aren't going to target him as seriously despite his obvious talent. Also, you lost a lot of credibility with your inability to use "too" as opposed to "to".

By the way, I'd love to see some of your marvellous proposals that don't consist of Mason Raymond and/or Keith Ballard, although I don't believe you have ever bothered to create a single proposal. You must just enjoy putting down other's proposals as I've now seen similar responses in several thought-out proposals.

Edited by Touchet, 23 April 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#8 Spoderman

Spoderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

New Jersey still was a good goalie prospect in Scott Wedgewood, so I don't believe they'll go for it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Credit to BananaMash for both

STHS GM Anaheim Ducks

#9 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

New Jersey still was a good goalie prospect in Scott Wedgewood, so I don't believe they'll go for it.

You seriously think Scott Wedgewood is a guy that could step in next year and become a starter without ANY professional experience at all? He is currently only 19 years old and put up mediocre numbers in the OHL. That'd be like us saying we don't need Luongo OR Schneider because we have David Honzik lol. He's not really a prospect that you'd want to count on, especially now.

#10 Spoderman

Spoderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

You seriously think Scott Wedgewood is a guy that could step in next year and become a starter without ANY professional experience at all? He is currently only 19 years old and put up mediocre numbers in the OHL. That'd be like us saying we don't need Luongo OR Schneider because we have David Honzik lol. He's not really a prospect that you'd want to count on, especially now.

No, I'm just saying they can just use a veteran for now, like Vokoun or maybe Antero Niittymaki until Wedgewood is developed.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Credit to BananaMash for both

STHS GM Anaheim Ducks

#11 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:33 PM

No, I'm just saying they can just use a veteran for now, like Vokoun or maybe Antero Niittymaki until Wedgewood is developed.

He's 19, that's a long time to fill the goaltending position with a stop gap goaltender. Plus like I said, he has no professional experience, so if you don't address the goaltending situation and this marginal goaltending prospect that you're banking on doesn't pan out you really are hooped and hurting yourself. That's really really stupid if you ask me. I'd bet money on Wedgewood never becoming a number 1 in the NHL, let alone the AHL. I've seen him play several times the past two years, he isn't special and there isn't much to get excited about.

#12 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

My thoughts are along these lines....

Out goes Louie, Booth, Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts

In comes Weber, Allen, Sauve ( Chicago Wolves), and Perry

Take the extra draft picks and restock.

Change the coaches, especially the special teams coach...the last half of the year we really fell off.

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows
perry/kesler/kassian
hassen/pulson?/higgins
Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen
KB/DH
Sauve/Salo?/Rome/Tanev

Schneider
?

They say Schroeder will challenge for a spot, same for Lack, Jensen is close we would then wait and see?

First try at this ....not so easy, but we do upgrade in 2 positions, and get grittier.

Edited by zcaptain, 23 April 2012 - 06:27 PM.

#13 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Change the coaches, especially the special teams coach...the last half of the year we really fell off.

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows
perry/kesler/kassian
hassen/pulson?/higgins
Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen
KB/DH
Sauve/Salo?/Rome

Schneider
?

Um, that's all fine and dandy but how in the hell do we simply acquire Perry and Weber this off-season with only losing Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts? That's ridiculous to say that we will get either of those players. Here, I'll do what you just did: yeah the way I see it, we will add Crosby and Stamkos this summer and out will go Aaron Rome and Dale Weise. Sounds idiotic right?

#14 janisahockeynut

janisahockeynut

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Um, that's all fine and dandy but how in the hell do we simply acquire Perry and Weber this off-season with only losing Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts? That's ridiculous to say that we will get either of those players. Here, I'll do what you just did: yeah the way I see it, we will add Crosby and Stamkos this summer and out will go Aaron Rome and Dale Weise. Sounds idiotic right?

Here is my thoughts...which you could be right, but this is how

Bryan Allen is a UFA
Shea Weber is a RFA
Perry is under contract

Allen we just sign...........2 yrs @ 3.75 per
Weber we offer sheet.....5 yrs @ 8.75 per
Perry we trade for

Here is how.....Cap is going up to 70 million?

Louie is worth at least a high prospect and a 1st rounder or 2 first rounders
Edler is worth 2 first rounders or as above, but we will say 2 first rounders
Ballard is worth a 2nd rounder
Canucks own their own 2012 and 2013 1st rounders

The way I figure is that Booth and 2 first rounders should get Perry out of the Ducks

That leaves us with 4 - 1st rounders and 2 seconds in the next 2 years after the trade, maybe less, but not too much less

Edited by zcaptain, 23 April 2012 - 07:18 PM.

#15 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:30 AM

Here is my thoughts...which you could be right, but this is how

Bryan Allen is a UFA
Shea Weber is a RFA
Perry is under contract

Allen we just sign...........2 yrs @ 3.75 per
Weber we offer sheet.....5 yrs @ 8.75 per
Perry we trade for

Here is how.....Cap is going up to 70 million?

Louie is worth at least a high prospect and a 1st rounder or 2 first rounders
Edler is worth 2 first rounders or as above, but we will say 2 first rounders
Ballard is worth a 2nd rounder
Canucks own their own 2012 and 2013 1st rounders

The way I figure is that Booth and 2 first rounders should get Perry out of the Ducks

That leaves us with 4 - 1st rounders and 2 seconds in the next 2 years after the trade, maybe less, but not too much less

Hahahaha

#16 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hahahaha

You think Gillis keeps Luongo because of his contract?

If anything it's because Schneider is better and will fetch more.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#17 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

You think Gillis keeps Luongo because of his contract?

If anything it's because Schneider is better and will fetch more.

No I also think that's why Schneider will be moved. Luongo is worth more to us than he is gone. Schneider could be worth more to us as an asset.

#18 peedenmark7

peedenmark7

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:06 AM

Whereas I can see your point of striking while the iron is hot on Schneider, We are still then left with a goalie who clearly cant win the big one consistently.

Our woes also lie with the offense as 2.9 goals scored [if my numbers are correct] during the regular season is not a recipe for winning a cup in any league.

I was happy to see a complete defense this playoff season, but my gripe is all offense. Cycling is a blast to watch but if it is not scoring its more time off the clock. I was thoroughly disappointed with Kessler and Burrows round one.

Whatever happens with Luongo this off season so be it.. I'd prefer Schneider in net... I want to see a proven goal scorer or two come to vancouver.

If we cant win games without Daniel Sedin, We had better rethink keeping the twins as well.

#19 Pride

Pride

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

one of the worst proposals ever posted on cdc.

congrats

#20 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,856 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows
perry/kesler/kassian
hassen/pulson?/higgins
Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen
KB/DH
Sauve/Salo?/Rome/Tanev

Schneider
?

They say Schroeder will challenge for a spot, same for Lack, Jensen is close we would then wait and see?

First try at this ....not so easy, but we do upgrade in 2 positions, and get grittier.

I can't see Kassian getting a second line spot over Hansen,Higgins,Pahlsson or Lappy.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#21 Touchet

Touchet

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

one of the worst proposals ever posted on cdc.

congrats

You're obviously an idiot.

Congrats.

#22 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

I think the most likely destination for Schneider is still in CBJ, 2nd overall (Murray) and a prospect for schneider + first + other intangibles.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.