The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Seismic Move

I feel that Mike Gillis will still decide to move Cory Schneider despite all of the speculation regarding Roberto Luongo's future with the team because he will try to save face and show confidence in his decision to give Roberto a 12 year contract. With that said, if contract talks break down this summer between Zach Parise and Lou Lamoriello, a potential trading partner could be had in New Jersey. However unrealistic, crazy and risky this trade may be, it could bring significant improvements to both sides in a perfect world:

To New Jersey:

G Cory Schneider

LW David Booth

To Vancouver:

Rights to Zach Parise

D Henrik Tallinder

2012 1st Round Pick

Conditional 2013 2nd

David Booth helps fill the loss of Zach Parise up front for the Devils while off-setting (cap-wise) the acquisition of Henrik Tallinder, who would bring a calming presence to the Canucks blue-line with his strong positioning and big frame. New Jersey obviously solves their biggest need in goal with the addition of Cory Schneider, while Vancouver improves their defence and their attack with a more skilled forward that would likely mesh better with Ryan Kesler and provide another potential gamebreaker in his own right. The Canucks also receive the 1st round pick, receiving a bit more fair of a return for the franchise goaltender, and just in case Vancouver isn't able to lock up Parise, the 2nd is there to make it less of a blow, although I don't see that being an issue if these are the assets MG is moving to acquire such a dynamic forward.

I see these two teams in a similar position with Parise and Schneider. They both locked up a player long term (Roberto Luongo for VAN and Ilya Kovalchuk for NJ) and a short while later they now have a player at the same position up for a contract that they'd probably prefer to have locked up. This deal addresses the situation for both clubs and spreads their wealth of assets out better in terms of both respective team needs.

This is a far riskier and unrealistic proposal than the norm for me, but I figured I'd have fun with it and I feel that paired with whatever other potential trades and signings that are pulled off in the summer by our GM that this makes the Vancouver Canucks a far more dangerous team moving forward.

you know what, if parise was an RFA then id be down but since noone can get a handle on what he is planning...im not on board. tallinder has missed a lot of time this season and i think he feels most comfortable on the left side on D so he wouldnt fit

That is probably very true. I would hope that Kesler would be able to convince him. Even with the first round exit, Vancouver is seen as one of the best teams in the league, a beautiful place to live, and a GM who goes the extra mile for his players. The chance to play with Kesler and Booth may be enticing to him. I hope!

You seriously think Scott Wedgewood is a guy that could step in next year and become a starter without ANY professional experience at all? He is currently only 19 years old and put up mediocre numbers in the OHL. That'd be like us saying we don't need Luongo OR Schneider because we have David Honzik lol. He's not really a prospect that you'd want to count on, especially now.

My thoughts are along these lines....

Out goes Louie, Booth, Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts

In comes Weber, Allen, Sauve ( Chicago Wolves), and Perry

Take the extra draft picks and restock.

Change the coaches, especially the special teams coach...the last half of the year we really fell off.

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows

perry/kesler/kassian

hassen/pulson?/higgins

Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen

KB/DH

Sauve/Salo?/Rome/Tanev

Schneider

?

They say Schroeder will challenge for a spot, same for Lack, Jensen is close we would then wait and see?

First try at this ....not so easy, but we do upgrade in 2 positions, and get grittier.

Change the coaches, especially the special teams coach...the last half of the year we really fell off.

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows

perry/kesler/kassian

hassen/pulson?/higgins

Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen

KB/DH

Sauve/Salo?/Rome

Schneider

?

Um, that's all fine and dandy but how in the hell do we simply acquire Perry and Weber this off-season with only losing Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Raymond, and Alberts? That's ridiculous to say that we will get either of those players. Here, I'll do what you just did: yeah the way I see it, we will add Crosby and Stamkos this summer and out will go Aaron Rome and Dale Weise. Sounds idiotic right?

Here is my thoughts...which you could be right, but this is how

Bryan Allen is a UFA

Shea Weber is a RFA

Perry is under contract

Allen we just sign...........2 yrs @ 3.75 per

Weber we offer sheet.....5 yrs @ 8.75 per

Perry we trade for

Here is how.....Cap is going up to 70 million?

Louie is worth at least a high prospect and a 1st rounder or 2 first rounders

Edler is worth 2 first rounders or as above, but we will say 2 first rounders

Ballard is worth a 2nd rounder

Canucks own their own 2012 and 2013 1st rounders

The way I figure is that Booth and 2 first rounders should get Perry out of the Ducks

That leaves us with 4 - 1st rounders and 2 seconds in the next 2 years after the trade, maybe less, but not too much less

Whereas I can see your point of striking while the iron is hot on Schneider, We are still then left with a goalie who clearly cant win the big one consistently.

Our woes also lie with the offense as 2.9 goals scored [if my numbers are correct] during the regular season is not a recipe for winning a cup in any league.

I was happy to see a complete defense this playoff season, but my gripe is all offense. Cycling is a blast to watch but if it is not scoring its more time off the clock. I was thoroughly disappointed with Kessler and Burrows round one.

Whatever happens with Luongo this off season so be it.. I'd prefer Schneider in net... I want to see a proven goal scorer or two come to vancouver.

If we cant win games without Daniel Sedin, We had better rethink keeping the twins as well.

My lines would be

sedin/sedin/burrows

perry/kesler/kassian

hassen/pulson?/higgins

Lappy/maholtra*/Wiesse

Weber/allen

KB/DH

Sauve/Salo?/Rome/Tanev

Schneider

?

They say Schroeder will challenge for a spot, same for Lack, Jensen is close we would then wait and see?

First try at this ....not so easy, but we do upgrade in 2 positions, and get grittier.

Archived