Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Where Does This Loss Rank Amongst Disappointing Canucks Playoff Exits?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#31 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

This was easy to get over for me because once they were down 3-0, I knew it was so unlikely, I tried not to get very invested in the rest of the series.

Good thing too I guess. Now I'm looking forward to the offseason, hoping for some meaningful changes that will help us going forward, and interested to see what next year brings. Fingers crossed that it isn't a lockout.

#32 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

1. Last year
2. Tie between this year, 1994, 2003, and the Chicago loses. They all hurt.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#33 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,001 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

it was kinda expected when they play against LA.. they work hard and got a world class goalie..

#34 Rovy

Rovy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

This year is quite disappointing.... soley because Vancouver now has another record of futility, being the President's Trophy winner with the worst playoff record (no other PT team lost worse than 4-2....)

#35 canadaguy_25

canadaguy_25

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

It's disappointing for sure, but it doesn't even register in the top 10. As some people have said, this team has not looked like a serious contender since about January. When we matched up with the Kings, I already accepted the fact that we would be in tough. After going down 3-0, I basically had a week to accept our likely demise, so even forcing a game 5 helped ease things too.

On a positive note, this now gives Gillis an excuse to retool this team (new coaching staff, adding some offensive pieces, and a top 4 D-man) which may have been overlooked if we advanced to the second round.

#36 canuckniforlife

canuckniforlife

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

It's disappointing for sure, but it doesn't even register in the top 10. As some people have said, this team has not looked like a serious contender since about January. When we matched up with the Kings, I already accepted the fact that we would be in tough. After going down 3-0, I basically had a week to accept our likely demise, so even forcing a game 5 helped ease things too.

On a positive note, this now gives Gillis an excuse to retool this team (new coaching staff, adding some offensive pieces, and a top 4 D-man) which may have been overlooked if we advanced to the second round.

Absolutely agree except that I had some hope they might come back well a little anyway.....

#37 'Nucks Fan from Montana

'Nucks Fan from Montana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

This easily has to rank as one of my top five playoff disappointments:

1. 2011 SCF vs. Boston (led series 2-0 and 3-2, couldn't close the deal because the Bruins were too big & flat outplayed the Canucks in all four series wins)
2. 2012 WCQF vs. Los Angeles (never led the series at any point, worst first-round performance ever by a President's Trophy winner, never won a game at home during series)
3. 2003 WCSF vs. Minnesota (led series 3-1 and Minnesota roared back to win series)
4. 2010 WCSF vs. Chicago (Canucks never won a game at home & Blackhawks physically wore the Canucks down)
5. 2002 WCQF vs. Detroit (led series 2-0, but Nicklas Lidstrom's goal from the red line in Game 3 was the kiss of death)

Edited by 'Nucks Fan from Montana, 23 April 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#38 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

This years team never gave me that feeling that we could win it all so the results from this years playoffs were kinda what i was expecting , Last season was a major let down even more then 94 because we really should have won and my bet is if the officiating would have been the same as the previous 3 rounds we would have
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#39 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,348 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I was over this series when we were down 3-0.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#40 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,540 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

They went down 0-3 which I appreciate because it was fair warning for us to prepare for the loss

It doesn't making any less humiliating - in fact I'd say this is the most humiliating of them all - but at least we were somewhat prepared
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#41 funat5pm

funat5pm

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

This one hurts up their with the SCF last year but not quite the same. We were the much better team this year and got lazy. Last year we were so close and may never get there again for quite a while. The blackhawk ones weren't hard to swallow because they were obviously the better team and was a mistake to try and out-physical them.

#42 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

The way that the President's Trophy winner gets DOMINATED by the 8th seeded team in nearly every game, this got the be the most disappointing defeat in our 40 year history.

Let's face it. The Kings didn't win b/c they were lucky. They outplayed us in nearly every game. Take yesterday's 3rd period and OT for example. It was a MUST WIN for the Canucks. The Kings were up 3-1 and they could afford to lose the game. Yet the Kings put in so much more effort than us. Sorry boys but we deserved this lose fair and square. The refs doesn't even have anything to do with it.

Edited by CHIPS, 23 April 2012 - 11:41 AM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#43 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

The way that the President's Trophy winner gets DOMINATED by the 8th seeded team in nearly every game, this got the be the most disappointing defeat in our 40 year history.

Let's face it. The Kings didn't win b/c they were lucky. They outplayed us in nearly every game. Take yesterday's 3rd period and OT for example. It was a MUST WIN for the Canucks. The Kings were up 3-1 and they could afford to lose the game. Yet the Kings put in so much more effort than us. Sorry boys but we deserved this lose fair and square. The refs doesn't even have anything to do with it.

Like Heretic said, the Canucks have been playing poorly for months now. How can this really be that big of a disappointment? The power play was absolute, total, unbelievable garbage going into the playoffs. Henrik, Kesler, Booth were all under-performing, and Daniel was't even practicing.

Did you expect the playoffs to just make everything click, and for them to breeze through a talented, healthy team?

I predicted a second round exit for the Canucks, and while I was pretty upset at the first two losses of this series, I was over it quick.

This loss was disappointing, but nowhere near as bad as some previous ones
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#44 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,445 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

i called the canucks losing to the Kings. the kings where the one team i did not want to play...

because of this i expected it so im not too disappointing. most disappointing for me is losing to the flames in 2003? and chicago in 2009
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#45 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

i called the canucks losing to the Kings. the kings where the one team i did not want to play...

because of this i expected it so im not too disappointing. most disappointing for me is losing to the flames in 2003? and chicago in 2009

cool sig
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#46 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

I've seen three playoff series in its entirety so i am not in a position to judge. But it was a gut wrenching loss. The imminent feeling of elimination for nearly two weeks was torturous.

Edited by GreatSaveJasee, 23 April 2012 - 01:39 PM.

Posted Image

Ebbett is as useful as a North Korean ballot box.

#47 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

This is the first 1st round exit in 8 years, so I would say it was right up there in dissappointments based on the expectations of this season.

The biggest disappointment is that this was the group of guys that I wanted to see win the cup. And now there's so much uncertainty with what the team will look like next season, and whether or not we make moves that actually make us stronger or not.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#48 jimsandlak83

jimsandlak83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I guess, if you would've told me at the start of the year that St. Louis, Phoenix (maybe), and Nashville were going to be the other 3 teams left in the West, then yes I would say this is a huge dissapointment. However, given that they played so poorly from January on, I would say that I am not "too" surprised. I remember last year they came out soooo physical against Chicago (i really don't know what happened this year).
But I think this year fails to compare to past years =
Last year was by far the biggest dissapointment having been up 2-0 on the Bruins. The way we imploded in Boston will always be one of the most frustrating times in Canucks history. Also, up 3-1 against the Wild and a chance to meet the 8th seed Ducks, and giving up that series was brutal. And round 2 vs. the blackhawks to me was one of the most dissapointing because we reacted in the exact same way and didn't learn anything from the year before

Edited by jimsandlak83, 23 April 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#49 funat5pm

funat5pm

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I guess, if you would've told me at the start of the year that St. Louis, Phoenix (maybe), and Nashville were going to be the other 3 teams left in the West, then yes I would say this is a huge dissapointment. However, given that they played so poorly from January on, I would say that I am not "too" surprised. I remember last year they came out soooo physical against Chicago (i really don't know what happened this year).
But I think this year fails to compare to past years =
Last year was by far the biggest dissapointment having been up 2-0 on the Bruins. The way we imploded in Boston will always be one of the most frustrating times in Canucks history. Also, up 3-1 against the Wild and a chance to meet the 8th seed Ducks, and giving up that series was brutal. And round 2 vs. the blackhawks to me was one of the most dissapointing because we reacted in the exact same way and didn't learn anything from the year before

Having a 2-0 lead in the finals is the hardest to swallow. In the blackhawk series in 2010, we tried to use emotion and hardnose play to beat them and really couldn't match them in physical play or talent. They just beat us down no matter what style we chose. Hard to be upset at them for that.......but I am pissed as hell at cheapshot keith for knocking out Daniel. I think it's a different story at full strength.

#50 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Not very disappointing, since we had a week to let it sink in between going down 0-3 and actually being eliminated. 2004, now that was a disappointment. Damn that Sutter, damn him to hell!

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#51 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

i find this year's loss worse than last year. last year we were the best team and expected to go far and we did. this year those expectations were the same and we didn't even come close to it.

uhhh we were 1 game away from the cup twice and THIS hurts more?

did you just start watching hockey last year?

we;ve been down 0-3 for over a week i dont know how anyone hasnt come to terms with loss yet

Edited by cIutch, 23 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#52 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

It was more of a season disappointment. By the time the playoffs came around the team had been playing so poor for so long that getting humiliated in the playoffs wasn't a surprise for fans that had followed the team all year.

#53 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

i find this year's loss worse than last year. last year we were the best team and expected to go far and we did. this year those expectations were the same and we didn't even come close to it.

Last year's loss was worse, because it was in the Finals and we had the best team in the league that year by a country mile. #1 in GA, #1 in GF, #1 in PP and #2 in PK. We had a lot of depth on defense and we had the Jennings winner, Art Ross and Ted Lyndsey winner and the 40 goal scoring Selke winner along with the Executive of the year and the Presidents trophy. Last year we had the best chance to win and to go to the game 7 of SCF and lose is probably the most heartbreaking loss in Canucks history. It is even worse than the 1982 and 1994 SCF losses. This years loss is bad but it was expected. Am actually not sad at all, because I knew they would be eliminated or have a short playoff run way back when they were playing garbage in January, February and March.

Posted Image

#54 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Every year they don't win is tough. I'm certainly not going to bail on this team now.

Go Canucks Go

#55 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

It's disappointing because if you watch any other series going on , they are full of intensity , heart, desire like we didn't see from this years Canucks playoff team.
Our defence was so slow at moving the puck and getting caught from behind making horrible passes , wiffing shots.
If any changes are made it should be to change this laid back culture in this team.
You want the building to be loud?
Less DJ more organ, thats whats going on in these other arenas.

#56 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I feel like that poor Winnepeg fan in the Visa commercial, I have to go shave now.

#57 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

1. 2012 SCF vs Boston
2. 2010 Round 2 vs Chicago (2nd time)
3. 2004 Round 1 vs Calgary
4. 2009 Round 2 vs Chicago (1st time)
5. 2003 Round 2 vs Wild

Edited by Canucksbiggestfan, 23 April 2012 - 05:13 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:16 PM

Nowhere near the other ones.

Posted Image

#59 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Are you high? Last year, we lost the SC! THE SC!

Posted Image

#60 memememe76

memememe76

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Nothing, NOTHING, was as bad a loss as 2003. NOTHING!

This year's sucks because it's this year but the Canucks were sooo outplayed and soooo easily dispatched. For a lot of fans, they were preparing themselves to grieve after game 2.
Dan Cloutier--the Marie Reine LeGougne of Goaltending!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.