The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If That Was Luongo's Last Game.......

rypper-37

Guest Dasein

I seem to remember another goalie controversy from a couple years ago where a backup goaltender took over and ran to the conference finals with the team, and their fans drooling all over him and demanding that they trade the starter.

The franchise keeps the starter, and trades the heralded backup. Fans lose it, but the franchise keeps faith.

The starter then shut everybody up the next year.

Schneider didn't even make it out of round 1, and we're talking about trading Luongo? Please. If anything, this raised Schneider's stock higher, but we will not move Luongo in favour of Schneider in my opinion, or at least, we shouldn't.

Lou is as good as gone. There is no way you start the back up in elimination games and bring him back. You've basically told him "we trust the other guy more than you, and think he gives us a better chance to win".

If that is the case. How do you then go to the fan base and say "we had a guy we felt was better in the most important games but chose to stick with the guy we felt was inferior". That's assinine. The decision has already been made. The doubt was planted last year in the Chicago series when they started Schneider in game 6. It was further cemented when Schneider was not dealt at the deadline this year.

On top of all that, Schneider is 7 years younger than Lou, can be had for cheaper, and is as cool of a customer as they come. It's a no brainer. Sure Lou has a big, lengthy contract but if Columbus could easily move Carter's (which was way more disgusting then Lou's) then moving Lou's can be done. Especially considering there's lot's of Jeff Carters in the League and not many top notch goalies.

I seem to remember another goalie controversy from a couple years ago where a backup goaltender took over and ran to the conference finals with the team, and their fans drooling all over him and demanding that they trade the starter.

The franchise keeps the starter, and trades the heralded backup. Fans lose it, but the franchise keeps faith.

The starter then shut everybody up the next year.

Schneider didn't even make it out of round 1, and we're talking about trading Luongo? Please. If anything, this raised Schneider's stock higher, but we will not move Luongo in favour of Schneider in my opinion, or at least, we shouldn't.

Schneids to CBJ for the 2nd overall. Thats where I think this is headed. Don't forget Tim Thomas had a horrible season and became the backup in Boston before coming back and winning the Vezina and Conn Smythe last year.

Luongo has a lot of good hockey left in him and I think it will be with the Canucks. If he does get traded there will be a significant return. I disagree with those who think no one wants Luongo's contract. Its 6 more years at $5.3 per year cap hit. That's a descent contract for a goalie of Luongo's calibre.

Guest Dasein

The starter you speak of has been golfing for 2 weeks. While the back up (now hurt) is now playing for the top seed in the west.

Archived