The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver - Pittsburgh

jj99

No way Kesler is way to valuable no deal. I like stall but there has to be better deals free up the money with a goalie deal. Kesler in my opinion gives us are strong 2nd line center hes fast is on the pk and is awesome on faceoffs, hes a selke nominee almost every year. Bad deal Vancouver. Van needs to get a big power forward or to that can play in the top 6, They are hard to find but they are out there. Size they have lots of speed but they don't have affective size there big players are there worst skill players. Sedins need a speedy guy like raymond on there line kesler needs size on his wings thats where they lack lapierre and Burrows are third line players, Pahulson gone do not resign, Higgins needs to be considered trade bait or 2nd line if he finds some chemistry there with kesler and new added Star power forward. Hanson, Bitz, Kassian compete for 3rd line role with others playing wing to Malhotra 4th line. D looks good maybe draft d in 1st this year play more size Alberts, Rome, less Tanev, Fire Coach Vigneault because its apparent the team is consistent in the regular season on there talent alone, but needs motivation from an angry coach at least I think in the Playoffs. The cap Room can come in lous contract there is room there either way with a restructured contract or being dealt to free up millions on the cap.

No. What's with everyone wanting to trade Kesler after his rough season? Chances are the guy's gonna rebound just like Bieksa did last season. Instead of trading Ryan Kesler, sign or trade for a player that will compliment his shooting mentality (his and Booth's mentality).

Why do people seem to think Staal is an improvement over Kesler? They are basically the same style player but Kesler has accomplished far more as an individual.

Ether way though this doesn't help Pittsburgh. No way Kesler plays as the line 3 center and moving him to a wing doesn't make the #1 ranked offense any higher ranked plus it hurts the depth down the middle. The vibe from Pittsburgh is they want a defensive makeover. If anything they try to package him for someone like Weber if both are shopped or other prospects.

Kesler just doesn't make much sense for them.

EDIT: Not to mention Staal was the 1 thing that went right for them in the playoffs.

This is an interesting proposal and I can see a benefit for both teams. This would definitely give us a different look next season.

I like Kes but I am disappointed with his last few years and some of his on ice antics (yes, I know he has had injury issues). Kes has great heart and I would be reluctant to trade him but I am intrigued by a Kes for Jordan Staal swap (straight up or Kes plus a pick or 4th line player). It would be interesting to see what Staal could do on our second line (they're both centres). He has put up respectable numbers on Pittsburgh's third line with less ice time than Kes.

The Pens would get a strong defensively responsible centre and we might get greater point production from Staal. Kes would be a great fit for the Pens as they already have two superstar centres. Actually, with Kes they could be scary. My gut feeling is that Jordan Staal will ultimately have more offensive upside than Kes. He outperformed Crosby and Malkin during the 2012 playoffs. That's a heck of an accomplishment for a 3rd line centre.

I don't like the proposals involving trading Kes to a team in our division or in the Pacific division which we may be part of next year. What's the point of trading Kes to a team that we'll have to tangle with on a regular basis. Plus, I'm sure Kes would prefer to be traded to an Eastern Conference team where he'd be closer to home.

Some more pluses regarding Staal:

• he is 4 years younger than Kes

• he is bigger

• his cap hit is $4 mill per year compared to Kesler's $5 mill per year

• he is a Staal (one of 3 in the NHL).

Archived