The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Do We Draft Now?

bronski beat

With the 26th overall pick, we would be smartest to pick the best available of:

-Dalton Thrower (as stated, models his play after Bieksa, and is damn good at hitting and dropping the mitts, from Vancouver too, RD)[listed 6'0, 195lbs]

-Ludvig Bystrom (best talent to come out of Ornskoldsvik since Hedman, think defensively minded Edler, LD)[listed 6'0, 208lbs]

-Colton Sissons (Bases his game off of Kesler, not as fast but gives it his all and is solid on both ends of the ice, from North-Van, Captain of the Kelowna Rockets, C)[listed 6'1, 195lbs].

If we trade Schneider/Luongo to Tampa for the 10th Overall pick(+):

Between:

-Griffin Reinhart (Vancouver boy, big d-man, not real mean but solid physically, can play both ends of the ice, LD)[listed 6'4, 207lbs]

-Jacob Trouba (Best D-man in the US dev program, don't really know much about him though, RD)[listed 6'2 193lbs]

or, if we're lucky

-Sebastian Collberg (Some people think that he may end up being the best Swede out of the draft, skilled scorer, solid passing, RW)[listed 5'11, 176]

If we trade Schneider(+) to Columbus for the 2nd overall pick:

Between:

-Ryan Murray (very solid defenseman, compares (optimistically) to Scott Niedermayer, NHL ready, Captain of the Everett Silvertips, LD)[listed 6'1 195lbs]

-Mikhail Grigorenko (big playmaking centerman-can also play rightwing-, has an awesome shot, can play the point on the powerplay, compares (optimistically) to Malkin-but has said he wants to become his own player-, long reach and good defensively, ready for the NHL and could play a two-way game with the right supporting wingers, or come in and be a very good offensive force, C/RW)[listed 6'3.5 200lbs]

-Filip Forsberg (very good Swedish born player, great speed, hands, and shot, as well as passing, plays a solid two way game, a common comparison I have seen would be Daniel Alfredsson, might be most NHL ready player of the draft, the thought of this kid playing with Kesler or the Sedins makes me drool, he is not as physical as Landeskog but has no problem throwing the body and is strong)[listed 6'2 181lbs]

-(Wild Card if Edmonton doesn't trade down and picks Murray)-

-Nail Yakupov (there isn't enough good to be said about Nail, he is a force out on the ice, compares to a Pavel Bure Alex Ovechkin mix, great wheels, great hands, great shot -interesting fact about Nail's shot, when he shoots, there is no set point of release on his blade, this makes the shot very hard to read for goalies and the only NHL'er I'm fairly certain is known for a shot like this is Kyle Turris- he can hit hard, and is by no means afraid of going to rough areas, he is also not greedy with the puck and can be a solid playmaker, he is the most hyped prospect since Tavares, and if Edmonton takes him, be frightened, unfortunately for Nail, he is a Canucks fan destined to go to Edmonton, I feel very sorry for him)[listed 5'11 190lbs]

I've followed the draft prospects quite closely this year and this is my 1st round predictions for us. As for the 2nd round, that one's a throw down between BPA or Henrik Samuelsson/Tim Bozon.

Schneider should only be traded for a top 5 pick, otherwise Luongo might be the better option.

5th overall pick = Filip Forsberg

3rd overall pick = Ryan Murray

2nd overall pick = Mikhail Grigerenko

Hopefully we can get two first round picks this draft, and add to our prospect pool.

I have a few guys in mind who could be available,,,

1. Tomas Hertl - CZE - C, LW - I think he will be the steal of the draft if he goes later than 10. From rankings that I've seen we do have a chance at him even at 26.

2. Derrick Pouliot - SSK - D - He would have to fall a whole bunch of picks but he's a great puck-moving dman.

2. Colton Sissons - North Van - RW, C - Great leadership and defensive abilities

3. Dalton Thrower - North Van - D - Punishing defenceman

4. Tom Wilson - Toronto - RW - Not the greatest top end potential but he should make the NHL in some capacity. He will not be as good offensively as Lucic or Kassian but he will be a reliable bottom six forward.

We've got a good big forward prospect in Kassian.

We've got plenty of good small forward prospects like Sweatt and Schroeder.

We've got good puck-moving defencemen prospects like Grangnani and Connautan.

We've got a good goalie prospect in Lack.

Now all we need is a big, physical shutdown defenceman. Something our team is lacking right now, and something our prospect pool is lacking. Go for size on the blueline MG!

Archived