The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Only Place Luongo Can Go Is Tampa Bay

yete

What I still fail to comprehend is that if last year's loss was so devastating, why didn't he leave then? After just one year of his contract. But he will leave now? Who signs a 12 year deal and then asks to opt out TWO years later? 5 years, maybe.... 7 years... but after 2 years?

When he got signed, no one knew how old he was? Or that he would be getting older? Or that he could have shaky seasons? Or that he wouldn't be the best of the best anymore? Come on, people. Get real.

What I still fail to comprehend is that if last year's loss was so devastating, why didn't he leave then? After just one year of his contract. But he will leave now? Who signs a 12 year deal and then asks to opt out TWO years later? 5 years, maybe.... 7 years... but after 2 years?

When he got signed, no one knew how old he was? Or that he would be getting older? Or that he could have shaky seasons? Or that he wouldn't be the best of the best anymore? Come on, people. Get real.

Guest BuckFoston

I think it's you who should get real. After last season he still had his starting goaltending job... not looking like that is going to happen for next year is it? So do you think he is going to want to sit on the bench for games at a stretch waiting to get a game to play or waive his ntc and go play somewhere as a starter?

Guest BuckFoston

It's not the amount of years into the contract. Management has given him the message that he is no longer the #1 guy. The thought of being a backup or even the guy we are "stuck" with might not appeal to him. To be the number one guy someplace else is probably something he would want. Nobody knows for sure at this poitn though.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

I still believe Luongo can bring us a cup.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into out lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

i see tampa but one of VERY few luongo would allow. one of the other few being the panthers. but obviously tampa is the most logical choice.

i would be fine getting nothing in return, take his contract and see ya later. luongo is a regular season goalie. his stats during the season are average, and the playoffs they are brutal. 8 goals in 2 games vs an LA team that is one of the lowest scoring in the league. also don't forget those 8 goal and 7 goal playoff games...

I just don't see how you guys can unload Luongo's contract with that many years and money left on it. I didn't think he was bad at all in games 1-3 with LA for you but for whatever reason he always seems to be the scapegoat when things don't go as planned. I don't see how he can be happy there getting pulled for game 4 especially when your coach admitted that tending wasn't the problem. I see Schneider being traded in the offseason and you guys getting some quality players or high draft picks in return. I don't see what other options are available as the Canucks are not going to waive Luongo and eat his contract. This is where those lifetime contracts can hurt teams. Every team seems to have a few of them and they become crippling in situations such as this.

I just don't see how you guys can unload Luongo's contract with that many years and money left on it. I didn't think he was bad at all in games 1-3 with LA for you but for whatever reason he always seems to be the scapegoat when things don't go as planned. I don't see how he can be happy there getting pulled for game 4 especially when your coach admitted that tending wasn't the problem. I see Schneider being traded in the offseason and you guys getting some quality players or high draft picks in return. I don't see what other options are available as the Canucks are not going to waive Luongo and eat his contract. This is where those lifetime contracts can hurt teams. Every team seems to have a few of them and they become crippling in situations such as this.

oh yah, gillis: you NEVER sign goalies long term.

how many goalies in the last 10 years of the nhl have had sucessful careers? roy, brodeur and hasek. with 60+ goalies a season, over 10 nhl seasons, your probably looking at 300 or so goalies over that time but under 10 who stayed sucessful.

goalies are streaky. cam ward, osgood, nabokov, cujo, etc... they have their flashes of brilliance then back to medicrocity. luongo is no different. schneider will be no different. sign him to a 5 year contract and hopefully we get 3 or 4 great seasons out him, then on to the next one.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

Archived