Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Only Place Luongo Can Go Is Tampa Bay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#31 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,094 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

I still believe Luongo can bring us a cup.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 April 2012 - 02:29 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#32 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Luongo isn't going anywhere. Gillis is not the type of GM that signs a player to a 12 year contract only to trade him two years into it. That would ruin his chances of signing any players long term again.

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into out lineup.

Luongo has proven that he can carry this team all the way. He just needs a backup that can carry some of the load during the regualr season, and a D core that doesn't meltdown consistently in the playoffs.

I think the odds of Luongo being the one moved went from about 10% before the playoffs started... to about 50% once he was supplanted in elimination games.

I suspect that there are many factors beyond their play which will be included in MG's decision:

1. The respective potential returns you can get in trade. If someone offers a lottery draft pick for Schneider vs. a middle rung veteran (eg. Malone) for Luongo... then it is hard to pass up on a potential franchise player.

2. What Schneider wants for salary and how long he will sign for

3. Related to #2... what the league costs for goalies is shaping up to be, if Price gets a Rinne type deal... then Luongo's contract is looking pretty damn good.

4. The locker-room chemistry. I think Schneider has an edge here, by all accounts he seems incredibly popular with his teammates and management.

5. Is Luongo going to make is easy or hard (a la Nash... who really didn't do his team any favours)
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#33 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

luongo to gillis: trade me to chicago
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#34 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

i see tampa but one of VERY few luongo would allow. one of the other few being the panthers. but obviously tampa is the most logical choice.

i would be fine getting nothing in return, take his contract and see ya later. luongo is a regular season goalie. his stats during the season are average, and the playoffs they are brutal. 8 goals in 2 games vs an LA team that is one of the lowest scoring in the league. also don't forget those 8 goal and 7 goal playoff games...

#35 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I just don't see how you guys can unload Luongo's contract with that many years and money left on it. I didn't think he was bad at all in games 1-3 with LA for you but for whatever reason he always seems to be the scapegoat when things don't go as planned. I don't see how he can be happy there getting pulled for game 4 especially when your coach admitted that tending wasn't the problem. I see Schneider being traded in the offseason and you guys getting some quality players or high draft picks in return. I don't see what other options are available as the Canucks are not going to waive Luongo and eat his contract. This is where those lifetime contracts can hurt teams. Every team seems to have a few of them and they become crippling in situations such as this.

#36 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I just don't see how you guys can unload Luongo's contract with that many years and money left on it. I didn't think he was bad at all in games 1-3 with LA for you but for whatever reason he always seems to be the scapegoat when things don't go as planned. I don't see how he can be happy there getting pulled for game 4 especially when your coach admitted that tending wasn't the problem. I see Schneider being traded in the offseason and you guys getting some quality players or high draft picks in return. I don't see what other options are available as the Canucks are not going to waive Luongo and eat his contract. This is where those lifetime contracts can hurt teams. Every team seems to have a few of them and they become crippling in situations such as this.

luongo played only in game 1 and 2. allowing 8 goals to one of the lowest scoring teams in the league....

#37 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

luongo played only in game 1 and 2. allowing 8 goals to one of the lowest scoring teams in the league....

7 actually, one was an empty netter. LA got their scoring act together after they acquired Jeff Carter. Agree with your sentiment though.

#38 iknowitall

iknowitall

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

oh yah, gillis: you NEVER sign goalies long term.

how many goalies in the last 10 years of the nhl have had sucessful careers? roy, brodeur and hasek. with 60+ goalies a season, over 10 nhl seasons, your probably looking at 300 or so goalies over that time but under 10 who stayed sucessful.

goalies are streaky. cam ward, osgood, nabokov, cujo, etc... they have their flashes of brilliance then back to medicrocity. luongo is no different. schneider will be no different. sign him to a 5 year contract and hopefully we get 3 or 4 great seasons out him, then on to the next one.

#39 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

luongo played only in game 1 and 2.  allowing 8 goals to one of the lowest scoring teams in the league....

Yep had typo above - meant to say games 1-2 sorry. Still my point is the same. Do you really fault him for those losses? I thought your D broke down in front of him on several of those goals.

#40 Lou#1

Lou#1

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Him acting like he's uncertain which goalie he's going to keep is just him playing the game of further increasing Schneider's value. Schneider can bring us a huge return this summer as in a top 5 pick. This could very well be an impact player that can step right into our lineup.

well said

#41 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,094 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Yep had typo above - meant to say games 1-2 sorry. Still my point is the same. Do you really fault him for those losses? I thought your D broke down in front of him on several of those goals.

That's been our problem ever since Luongo has been here. Our D consistently melts down in playoffs and allows a ridiculus amount of odd man rushes.

It's the risk you take when your an offensive minded team, but in the playoffs, plays like the ones Bieksa and Edler make will kill you. But it's up to the coaching staff to adapt our game and play more conservatively, otherwise this is what happens.

It always comes down to Luongo's salary though. Fans think that because he makes so much, that he should make every save even when the D completely hangs him out to dry.

As Fleury showed this season, even cup winning goalies can have meltdowns when they don't have any helpfrom their D.

Posted Image

#42 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

oh yah, gillis:   you NEVER sign goalies long term.  

how many goalies in the last 10 years of the nhl have had sucessful careers?    roy, brodeur and hasek.    with 60+ goalies a season, over 10 nhl seasons, your probably looking at 300 or so goalies over that time but under 10 who stayed sucessful.

goalies are streaky.   cam ward, osgood, nabokov, cujo, etc...   they have their flashes of brilliance then back to medicrocity.   luongo is no different.  schneider will be no different.   sign him to a 5 year contract and hopefully we get 3 or 4 great seasons  out him, then on to the next one.

Agreed. We signed Huet to a 4 year deal in Chicago after he had a small playoff run with Washington. After half a season in his first year in Chicago we realized he was a bust. He hung around a second season when we finally replaced him with Niemi. Then the last 2 years of his contract we had to 'eat it' by sending him overseas to play. Technically you guys could eat Luongo's contract as well but I dont' see that happening for a 10 year deal. Plus if your GM and you signed this deal for Luongo you would not want to admit a mistake but absorbing years and money for him. Difficult situation.

#43 tiredatwork

tiredatwork

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Did someone have a press conference I missed? Because no official message like that has been sent aside from the media blowing everything out of proportion. So he sat 3 games in the playoffs after the team decided they couldn't be bothered to show up so the obvious shake up was to start someone else and it seemed to be working. But of course on CDC that translates to he is no longer # 1, he wants out, he will ask to be out, he will move far far away.

This fan base is so dramatic and childish they deserve neither. Would be great to get stuck with Lack as a starter since a bunch of fanboys once told me he was the second coming of Rinne. Good luck with that.

Game 3 is one thing but game 4 is a fairly significant message. You might disagree but when Schneider is coming off a loss and they go back to him for 2 elimination games..........there is something to it. I'm not sure I've seen a sports show that hasn't discussed the implications of this for next year. You really think it will just be business as usual next training camp?

#44 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

I would hate to have to face Luongo....Our crappy "D" was what lost it for us....Both He and Shniides are great goalies. But IF Luo left us and we faced him in the Post season....it would not look good for us.~!

word~!

#45 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

forevernucks19, on 23 April 2012 - 01:08 PM, said:
GET A LIFE PEOPLE!

what

I think he said "GET A LIFE PEOPLE!" did I read that right?
Posted Image

#46 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Luongo will make Tampa a cup contender. That's why Stevie Y wants him. Simple as that
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#47 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,094 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

Luongo will make Tampa a cup contender. That's why Stevie Y wants him. Simple as that

There's no way Tampa would take on Luongo's contract unless they dumped Lecavalier, since they're not a rich team.

Us going to Tampa with a trade would wreak of despertation on our part. The return on him would be so weak, that the benefit wouldn't outweigh keeping Luongo and trading Schneider.

Schneider could probably get us a top 5 pick from either Columbus, Toronto, or NYI.

Posted Image

#48 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Luongo makes $5.3M per year.  Tampa Bay has only $3.4M per year in cap space.  Hard to see how they can make that fit unless they deal someone.  And they have a majority of their money on that team going to a few guys.

Edited by I-miss-Wis, 23 April 2012 - 03:13 PM.

#49 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,448 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

There's no way Tampa would take on Luongo's contract unless they dumped Lecavalier, since they're not a rich team.

Us going to Tampa with a trade would wreak of despertation on our part. The return on him would be so weak, that the benefit wouldn't outweigh keeping Luongo and trading Schneider.

Schneider could probably get us a top 5 pick from either Columbus, Toronto, or NYI.

I think he and tanev could get Malone and Connolly

#50 Canucksu

Canucksu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Blue Jackets for Johanson.

#51 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Uhmm.... Ya im pretty sure there are more destinations available.

not really

considering he has the say in where he goes

typical first post in a cdc thread

shooting down a thread that actually makes sense

Edited by cIutch, 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM.

Posted Image

#52 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,065 posts

Luongo makes $5.3M per year. Tampa Bay has only $3.4M per year in cap space. Hard to see how they can make that fit unless they deal someone. And they have a majority of their money on that team going to a few guys.

Ummm... Tampa has over $16 million in cap space next year and 7 players to sign with it. Roloson, who Luongo would be replacing would be off their books as one example.

No way we take on Lecavalier's contract... maybe Malone.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#53 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

if lu goes to tampa so do i

Nice to know you're a good fan of the team.

#54 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

1st off, I doubt MG will be offering further contracts that look anything like Lu's so to ask Lu to part or play 2nd fiddle is in the cards. Lu will request a trade if he can't be the deisgnated starter.

I disagree that LU has shown he can take us all the way. He has, as far as I'm concerned shown the exact opposite. He had regula melt-downs in the playoffs last year agains CHicago and Boston. He showed up for 4 games against Chicago and 3 against Boston. Simply not good enough. Look at Quick this las series...he wasn't as good as Cory but he made our guys work for every goal. Not a single softy. Even in game 2 this year, Lu let in a softy. He's inconsistent and on the decline. Time to mive on wiht COry.

Oh...and why would we fdraft a high first rounder: develop him for 6 years; show case him as a future super star goalie and then trade him for a high first rounder?!! Absolute insanity!

#55 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

cory will be moved

will get a better return. cory for nash.
Posted Image

#56 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,774 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Could be florida, it will most likely be some combination of Connolly Purcell and a 1st

After finding out Connolly is from BC it makes a lot of sense to bring him in with Kassian at teh same time and a new coach. With Raymond gone we need 2RW and we've got em.

You could get Purcell and he'd be great to have. Connolly I doubt is going anywhere but we would certainly be able to get another player and possibly Detroits 1st or TB's 2nd depending on the other player.

I would love to get Purcell out of TB though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,135 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

7 get it right

and that tells you how bad nux were playing in gm 1 and 2, if you even watched it. obviously not.
Posted Image

#58 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Lots of GM's would love Luongo, it's just whether or not Lu would waive his NTC. There are so many fringe teams that Luongo would push into the playoffs. The revenue alone would make it worth it for them to sign him. If the Canucks straight up told him they are wanting to sign Schneider and they will split the games, Lu would probably waive it to be a starter anywhere.

At this point if the Canucks are going with Schneider I think they would be happy just dumping Luongo's contract even if they don't get much in return.

This is all too bad. Luongo did so much for this organization and took them within 1 game of winning it all. Helped lead them to 2 President Trophy's. 1 year later he wasn't even the starter. Now it seems inevitable that he will be the one gone. Probably best for this organization and Luongo himself. I think this team is better off with Schneider long term. I'll miss the hell out of Lu if he does go and wish him nothing but the best. He is one of my all-time favorite Canucks.

#59 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

realistically luongo can only be moved to tampa bay

why luongo would go to tampa bay

1) his wife closer to home and family

2) think off-season luongo goes to visit family in flordia, im positive they will put pressure on him to come closer

3) lu is a competitor he is obviously pissed off that he did not get to play

4) Steve Yzerman why won't he want to be in that organization?

5) no media pressure luongo can play his game without the crap vancouver media does

realistically it will be vinny lecavilar for luongo its a fair trade for both sides think of it.... two heavy contracts that is the only place i see luongo being traded to otherwise its going to be cory......................

(be realistic canucks fans no other team will take on luongos contract and lu also has a trade clause)
also keeping lu here would be a big mistake he needs a fresh start too much pressure

Lu to TB for Connolly and Purcell. Am definitely fine with that, and am sure Stevie Y is fine with it too. He knows Bobby Lu because he selected him for the Olympics and you have to give to get. Connolly is redundant in TB with Lecavlier and Stamkos on the top two lines.

Posted Image

#60 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,389 posts

I think Burkie could woo him in Toronto.

Match made in heaven for me, just need a fair trade back.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.