The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Only Place Luongo Can Go Is Tampa Bay

yete

1st off, I doubt MG will be offering further contracts that look anything like Lu's so to ask Lu to part or play 2nd fiddle is in the cards. Lu will request a trade if he can't be the deisgnated starter.

I disagree that LU has shown he can take us all the way. He has, as far as I'm concerned shown the exact opposite. He had regula melt-downs in the playoffs last year agains CHicago and Boston. He showed up for 4 games against Chicago and 3 against Boston. Simply not good enough. Look at Quick this las series...he wasn't as good as Cory but he made our guys work for every goal. Not a single softy. Even in game 2 this year, Lu let in a softy. He's inconsistent and on the decline. Time to mive on wiht COry.

Oh...and why would we fdraft a high first rounder: develop him for 6 years; show case him as a future super star goalie and then trade him for a high first rounder?!! Absolute insanity!

Lets see Quick play like that for 4 straight series. He won't be able to.

Luongo is not the only one that has meltdowns. Our D has consistently been melting down ever since AV got here. Edler and Bieksa are constant turnover machines when they try and pinch, and Luongo can only bail us out so many times.

We would trade him for a high first round pick because it would likely be a franchise player that can make an impact right away. Putting a guy like Grigerenko on our second line would give us a cheap impact player and allow us to spend more money upgrading our D.

1st off, I doubt MG will be offering further contracts that look anything like Lu's so to ask Lu to part or play 2nd fiddle is in the cards. Lu will request a trade if he can't be the deisgnated starter.

I disagree that LU has shown he can take us all the way. He has, as far as I'm concerned shown the exact opposite. He had regula melt-downs in the playoffs last year agains CHicago and Boston. He showed up for 4 games against Chicago and 3 against Boston. Simply not good enough. Look at Quick this las series...he wasn't as good as Cory but he made our guys work for every goal. Not a single softy. Even in game 2 this year, Lu let in a softy. He's inconsistent and on the decline. Time to mive on wiht COry.

Oh...and why would we fdraft a high first rounder: develop him for 6 years; show case him as a future super star goalie and then trade him for a high first rounder?!! Absolute insanity!

there just seems to be too many IFs when it comes to a Luongo trade. My guess is CS is gonna be traded for high picks and/or a top 6 forward. then again, we really need a good D man. either way I think CS is more likely to be traded.

It is not entirely impossible that Montreal would be in the running for a new goaltender. They like Price a lot, but he is also going to be asking for a very big contract. Montreal has beaucoup bucks tied up into players with NTC contracts and may have real difficulty in paying a goalie a $6.5 million dollar contract.

On top of that, they have a huge image problem that is going to be addressed this summer. They are as much a cultural icon for Quebec as a hockey team and need to exemplify the French culture. Getting a hometown Luongo who is francophone AND Italian would be pretty sweet in that regard.

I don't understand the people who are speculating that Luongo doesn't like to be in a big hockey market and have the spotlight on him. I think he wants that quite badly and that is why he signed in Canada and why he plays in things like the Olympics. Whether he is good at dealing with the pressure is a whole different topic than whether he wants the pressure.

Luongo is not the only one that has meltdowns. Our D has consistently been melting down ever since AV got here. Edler and Bieksa are constant turnover machines when they try and pinch, and Luongo can only bail us out so many times.

We would trade him for a high first round pick because it would likely be a franchise player that can make an impact right away. Putting a guy like Grigerenko on our second line would give us a cheap impact player and allow us to spend more money upgrading our D.

I doubt we can trade Lu to Columbus. The only way CBJ is willing to part with their 2nd overall is if we trade Schneider to them. It would suck but then we would have another franchise forward in Grigorinko or if the Oilers screw up, Yakupov.

YOu're right that LU isn't solely to blame but he is the piece that can be moved perhaps easiest for the best return, assumin management agrees Cory is the better long-term option for the team.

If we could get a top 3 pick, maybe it would be worth it but it still feels like a gamble to me to keep Lu after his increasingly slow starts and history.

Cory is an impact player now and after 6 years of grooming him and him learning his trade behind Lu, it seems like he should be worth more than a pick that might impact right away.

ON a side note, a rookie with AV may never get teh chance to impact the team unti he has spent 3 years in the minors no matter how energizing, creative or effective offensively.

Well if Gillis makes a trade for a young impact player, AV better be on board with playing him or he's gone.

If we can get an impact player that could be another Alexander Mogilny, I think it would make up for the loss of Schneider. Plus having an impact player on a cheap contract means that we could spend more money on D to help out Luongo.

For the 2.3 mil in difference that Luongo would likely make over Schneider, I think the best move would be to go for the impact player, rather than the likely weaker return that luongo would fetch.

Why wouldn't a team just offer a sheet to Schneider for 3 million per year ? If he takes it all they have to give in compensation is a 2nd round pick ? I don't think at this point Schneider is worth more than that and that put Gillis on the spot.....

Nobody will take lou and his contract...and the thought of Gillis having to pay 3 million to a backup is a nice one...

Archived