The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

sedinz

MG's comments about Cody did nothing to clear things up. What I got from it was he was cowed into trading Cody before he should have because of AV whining to him about the Cody camp asking for more ice time (which he deserved).

Yes Cody's dad, a Conservative politician who hangs around the likes of Mike Harris and Stephen Harper, is obviously a d%#k who thought his son was entitled to be the star he pictured in his head. But Gillis could have told him to shutup and worked this Summer to make it happen instead of right before a playoff run where offense was badly needed.

MG jumped the gun when the first of the "chosen six" of the players he was willing to trade Cody for, became available. No reason to think that at least one of these six would be up for offer in the off season.

And another thing that smells in all this is AVs stubbornness to simply appease the Cody camp even slightly. Just release a little steam out of the pot and increase his minutes by 2 or 3. Not only would this have at least kept the Cody camp appeased until the Summer where he could have been moved, but it would have HELPED Kesler to be more healthy for the playoffs. I still do not understand why AV could not have played Cody centering the third line more and the Kesler line less in the months before the playoffs, like a 2a and a 2b line, with the understanding with the players that minutes would be slanted more towards the second line at the start of the playoffs....Presidents Trophy be damned.

Kesler said in his interview that he re-injured himself sometime in February, and was playing through it for the rest of the season. Yet AV arrogantly goes before the media and scoffs at the idea of reducing Kesler's minutes (to increase Cody's) EVEN THOUGH HE KNEW OF KESLERS RE-INJURY! Kesler was playing huge minutes when his playing time should have been 'managed'.

I would have been fine with trading Cody in the Summer, if he was indeed overly influenced by a dotting dad and an overly aggressive agent (ie. Lindros). But MG held all the cards and it sounds like he buckled. Between the whining by Cody's dad, and the whining from AV, Mike Gillis just couldn't take it anymore. I thought he had a little more fortitude than that.

No, Cody wouldn't have won us the Cup singlehandedly. But if he could have helped us win any one of those first 3 games, which were very close, until Daniel got up to steam...there is a big big chance we would still be playing now.

It's amazing how ole smoke and mirrors can pass the buck. Looks like the entire season is Coho's fault. It's amazing how the flock is eating it up too. Could he at least admit he made a mistake in evaluating his character when he drafted him? Wasn't that something he was going to focus on with our draft picks? But no, nothing is ever MG's fault. This complete disaster is the fault of a kid that's been gone for 2+ months.

What happened to our "class" organization? What a joke.

Why would AV or any of the current mangement be gone? Take a look at the teams in the West that have made it past round one. All of them are teams that were on the bottom or close to the bottom of peoples lists of who would likely make it out. Furthermore, AV is the winningest coach in Canucks history, lead the team to 2 straight Pres' trophies and to the Stanley Cup Final (Game 7). To assume he is gone would be stupid.

As for Luo, the same goes. He's waived his NTC, but given his previous stats the likelyhood of him leaving is still slim, unless management chooses to roll the dice with Schneider, even though it wouldn't be a HUGE risk.

And to assume BOTH would be gone is ridiculous. You're talking a massive revamp of our organization because we underestimated our first round opponent, greatly.

There is no logic in giving away BOTH of our most successful pieces in order to improve.

It's amazing how ole smoke and mirrors can pass the buck.  Looks like the entire season is Coho's fault.  It's amazing how the flock is eating it up too.  Could he at least admit he made a mistake in evaluating his character when he drafted him?  Wasn't that something he was going to focus on with our draft picks?  But no, nothing is ever MG's fault.  This complete disaster is the fault of a kid that's been gone for 2+ months.

What happened to our "class" organization?  What a joke.

What I took from the interview is:

- Raymond will get another chance to prove he's a top 6 forward, if not then they will trade him in TD.

- Jensen might be NHL ready depending on what happens this Summer.

- AV is a great coach (probably trying to build him up for another coaching job elsewhere) I think he will still get fired.

- There were alot of behind the scenes drama with CH thats why he was traded.

Man this off-season is gonna be exciting. From Luongo willing to waive his NTC, the upcoming changes that will happen, I've already forgotten about the 1st round exit :D

MG jumped the gun when the first of the "chosen six" of the players he was willing to trade Cody for, became available.  No reason to think that at least one of these six would be up for offer in the off season.

I liked the fact that he has a lot of expectations on Jensen. Would love to hear that he's ready to play next season, a 3rd line with him and Hansen would be great.

I wouldn't be surprised if Schroeder spends one more year in the minors, but we may see Connauton, Sauve and even Sweatt.

MG's comments about Cody did nothing to clear things up. What I got from it was he was cowed into trading Cody before he should have because of AV whining to him about the Cody camp asking for more ice time (which he deserved).

Yes Cody's dad, a Conservative politician who hangs around the likes of Mike Harris and Stephen Harper, is obviously a d%#k who thought his son was entitled to be the star he pictured in his head. But Gillis could have told him to shutup and worked this Summer to make it happen instead of right before a playoff run where offense was badly needed.

MG jumped the gun when the first of the "chosen six" of the players he was willing to trade Cody for, became available. No reason to think that at least one of these six would be up for offer in the off season.

And another thing that smells in all this is AVs stubbornness to simply appease the Cody camp even slightly. Just release a little steam out of the pot and increase his minutes by 2 or 3. Not only would this have at least kept the Cody camp appeased until the Summer where he could have been moved, but it would have HELPED Kesler to be more healthy for the playoffs. I still do not understand why AV could not have played Cody centering the third line more and the Kesler line less in the months before the playoffs, like a 2a and a 2b line, with the understanding with the players that minutes would be slanted more towards the second line at the start of the playoffs....Presidents Trophy be damned.

Kesler said in his interview that he re-injured himself sometime in February, and was playing through it for the rest of the season. Yet AV arrogantly goes before the media and scoffs at the idea of reducing Kesler's minutes (to increase Cody's) EVEN THOUGH HE KNEW OF KESLERS RE-INJURY! Kesler was playing huge minutes when his playing time should have been 'managed'.

I would have been fine with trading Cody in the Summer, if he was indeed overly influenced by a dotting dad and an overly aggressive agent (ie. Lindros). But MG held all the cards and it sounds like he buckled. the whining frBetween the whining by Cody's dad, and from AV, Mike Gillis just couldn't take it anymore. I thought he had a little more fortitude than that.

No, Cody wouldn't have won us the Cup singlehandedly. But if he could have helped us win any one of those first 3 games, which were very close, until Daniel got up to steam...there is a big big chance we would still be playing now.

Not one word from these experts about how they mismanaged the player. Made a bad call regarding his injury, called him out on it, put him in a training program that didn't help.

These guys never make a mistake, and then rather than admiting to any mistakes, they throw him under a bus. Now that's rich. It's all about what Cody did, nothin about what they did. Bunch of morons.

Wow...how do we know if Kassian is a bust when Coach V wouldn't even let him play? His decisions during this playoffs along with his coaching staff were close to pathetic and it showed on the ice. Give Kass some time, because he was looking pretty good when he had confidence and was playing on the second line. Cody is gone, so get over it. I had to do the same thing with Grabs.

Wow...how do we know if Kassian is a bust when Coach V wouldn't even let him play? His decisions during this playoffs along with his coaching staff were close to pathetic and it showed on the ice. Give Kass some time, because he was looking pretty good when he had confidence and was playing on the second line. Cody is gone, so get over it. I had to do the same thing with Grabs.

Archived