The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

sedinz

Brad Zeimer/Sunsational segment on Gillis / Cody Hodgson comments               CKNW 10:55 pm Tuesday

Surprised and I wonder would he have said this if the Canucks had a successful playoff run?

I was surprised by the timing of the trade and how it benefitted them short term.

Gillis did not speak highly of Cody (today).

Defensive deficiencies.

His very first draft pick and he loved Cody's  character then.

Canucks maintain they sign and acquire high quality individuals.

Canucks would have conducted  exhaustive due diligence before making Gillis' very first draft pick.

"Fans like me"....... a mind reader, are you? I haven't 'assumed' anything nor have I stated (or MG) that it was Hogson's ' bad attitude'. It was stated there were 'issues', which there most certainly were as has been well documented in the past, long before there was ever a trade made.

"Prior to his draft we were told he was a gentleman and a team player" That was how long ago? People change, outside influences change, circumstances change.......

MG was asked a question, he addressed it appropriately.........and moved on to the next question.

I missed that conversation.

However, I think he did violate confidentiality. Esp when Hodgson was asked that question in an interview and he just said i don't want to talk about it .. something like what's in the past is in the past and i want to move on. That did not imply that Hodgson had issues here. Gillis's previous quote also mentioned that I'm not getting into any back door conversations.

but in this presser he came out and threw Hodgson under the bus and basically said that trade happened because of issues with Hodgson. I also want to note that he and his management staff decided that hodgson maybe doesn't want to be here. Hodgson did not ask for a trade.

1.) In the mind of you and others, Gillis implying that Hodgson & Co, were a PITA = breaking confidentiality. On the other hand, if Gillis had implied that Hodgson & Co. were always the nicest people in the world with which to deal and he was so sorry he to trade "Cody" because he will be a future superstar and would have become captain of the team, then that would still have been confidential information, right?

Or would it be okay to make that second statement,merely because it was favourable to "Cody"?

2.) Folks who are fans of Hodgson keep clutching to this idea of, "Cody" did not ask for a trade. Why does it matter to you or anyone else if Hodgson did or didn't actually say the words, "I want to be traded"?

It seems that the most significant thing to be gained in any kind of discussion about this trade by Hodgson fans, is whether or not "Cody" had actually asked for a trade. The only reason I can come up with as to why this would be of importance to you lot is that you want to able to point fingers and lay blame.

You want to be able to say, "See, I told you so!" And you can't as successfully do that if Hodgson had actually asked to be traded, can you?

In ten years from now when (as you all perhaps hope and believe) Hodgson has won his tenth scoring title and tenth Art Ross and tenth Conn Smyth and tenth Stanley Cup while being the captain of the Sabres (and Team Canada), you want to be able to say, "See, we never should have traded Cody, and Gillis was wrong to do so, and AV hatez young playerz!!!" And somehow, this success on his part would vindicate Hodgson in this situation.

Well, I think it has never mattered if Hodgson actually asked for a trade. Hodgson could ask all day long, "Am I traded yet? Am I traded yet? Am I traded yet?" and If Gillis didn't want to move him then he wouldn't be going anywhere. Gillis has as much as said, "We've had issues for 3 years and I figured it was time for us to part company" so please, on Mike's behalf I give this to you: feel free to take what Gillis said in the press conference as a confirmation that "Cody" did not actually ask to be traded, if that pleases you. Feel free to place all the blame you want on to Gillis' shoulders, he has as much as said he'd freely and gladly accept any consequences for the trade by stating he'd do it again.

Just a final note: If Hodgson came out tomorrow and said in a TV interview, "Yeah, I was happy to leave Vancouver and come play back east again. I bugged Gillis about trading me for 3 years", would that make you sad for some reason? Would you feel rejected?

Or would it merely fuel your animosity towards towards Gillis and AV in that they they had not done enough to keep "Cody" happy?

regards,

G.

I wonder if it has to do with bitterness towards management?  We wanted a 2 year $4 million deal and wasn't given it.  Then only got a $2 million, one year offer.  After years of dedication and sacrifice they reward him by low balling him and then offering Marco Sturm more on a 1 year deal.  He was somewhat vocal about his dislike of the sleep dr. stuff too.  I could see him signing with a contender.  He's still human, not sure how he could not be bitter on how he's been treated.

Salo has been treated with respect from everybody in this organization. You are the most bitter person i have seen on this board. According to you every player you like has been low balled or crapped on by Gillis. Of couse Salo was sad as was every player on the team as they expected more from themselves but didnt deliver. To use Salo as as an exuse to rag on Gillis and this team is as low ball as it comes.

No question I'm bitter.  I'm a die hard Canuck fan and I've watched smoke and mirrors wreck a farm system and trade away our top prospects for very little in return.  Maybe I'm wrong, based on Salo's comments and his contract negotiations before the season there seemed to be a little bit of disappointment there.  I suppose you would know better.  Weird how many guys leave us with parting shots, i guess it's always teh player, never management.

Archived