Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
429 replies to this topic

#181 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Really? Confidentiality means nothing to you?

Confidentiality has it's purpose. As with RR37, you don't discuss a players personal issues. Gillis discussed Cody's professional issues, which is completely different. He didn't even go into details, other than saying he spent a disproportionate amount of time dealing with Cody's camp. He tried the "no comment" route, and if I recall even then you blasted him for it saying he was intentionally allowing people to speculate.

Cody was a problem. He solved the problem.

Edited by suolucidir, 24 April 2012 - 11:11 AM.

PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#182 questforthecup

questforthecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

What you're not considering is that, if I allow one, then ten crop up. Then you're faced with inconsistency and it's unfair to those who have recently HAD their Cody topics closed.

If it would stop at "one", sure....but it just doesn't happen that way and the floodgates would likely be opened with other "ideas" sprouting up.

The hot topic is being discussed here, so there is a platform for that. :)

Hope that helps to clarify....

I understand your rationale, but on the other hand it doesn't make sense to have a thread titled "Canucks Press Confrence Tomorrow 10 A.m !" the only place to discuss Cody Hodgson's trade situation. People who didn't watch the press conference would never know that this is the place to discuss this based on the thread title. sorry, just my 2 cents.

#183 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,500 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

It's not like he came out and disclosed the conversations that were had. He said he'd spent more time in three years on Coho issues than the rest of the team combined, where is the violation of confidentiality in that?

He threw him under the bus.
He called him a PITA when it is his job to protect his player's wishes and find a way to solve them.
If he was so secure in his position and this trade and how it effected his team's performance he would continue to honor Cody's wishes to leave and keep his yap shut.

#184 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

I understand your rationale, but on the other hand it doesn't make sense to have a thread titled "Canucks Press Confrence Tomorrow 10 A.m !" the only place to discuss Cody Hodgson's trade situation. People who didn't watch the press conference would never know that this is the place to discuss this based on the thread title. sorry, just my 2 cents.

Careful, the moderator is going to spend far more time with you than any other poster. You just might be traded to the Buffalo forum.

#185 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Seriously, how are cody fanboys not getting this through their head? Having Cody would NOT have made us win the cup. MAYBE get through the first round, but probably not as he was a blatant defensive liability. He was cancerous in the room, and had a bad attitude, and they sold him when his value was highest. Seriously people, this is the truth, accept it. He was not the future of this organization, nor did he want to be.

Everyone DOES accept this. The issues is the craptastic return and timing. I think it would have been prudent to hang on to Cody until the offseason. I personally don't think his value would have diminished. He may have had his flaws but he showed he could be a difference maker and add some secondary offense. He was an option the Canucks lacked in the playoffs.

#186 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Now that Gillis has thrown Hodgson under the bus after repeatedly stating player's confidentiality will be respected we get some insight into character.

It will be interesting to hear what Cody says at some point in time so we get both sides of the story.

Gillis would have better served his integrity (and that of the team's) by respecting his player's confidentiality.

I think it was fair game considering he took the high road after the trade and Cody pretended to be utterly surprised by the trade rather than acknowledge his role in it.

Cody showed little class in his response as he was most certainly aware of the issues since he and his camp initiated them. He should have said something like

"I think we all recognized that with such great players as Sedin and Kesler in my position, there was little chance of me moving up in the lineup. The organization did right by me by moving me to a situation where I had a chance to play more minutes."
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#187 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,374 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I've updated the title. :)

Hope that helps.

Posted Image

#188 carlweezer

carlweezer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Now that Gillis has thrown Hodgson under the bus after repeatedly stating player's confidentiality will be respected we get some insight into character.
Get of codys shaft
It will be interesting to hear what Cody says at some point in time so we get both sides of the story.

Gillis would have better served his integrity (and that of the team's) by respecting his player's confidentiality.

#189 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hodgson is not captain material, he's a cancer.

Says one thing to the Fans and media and then does the complete opposite.

Hodgson with Murph:

Hodgson "I don't care what line I play on, or how many minutes I get, as long as I can contribute"

10 Mins later:

Hodgson with Gillis:

"I want to be on the 2nd line and I want 16+ minutes a night or trade me!"

So happy Gillis gave him a low blow today, greedy, whiny kid deserved it.

#190 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

I'm def not a Cody fanboy ... just saying that if Cody could have helped us get to round 2, you never know what could happen after that. The further we go, the higher Cody's stock value might have been ... then trade his entitled arse in the summer. Let's just say that his defensive liability couldn't have been any worst than some of of our players in those 5 games.

I agree with you.

If he scored a couple of goals...his stock would be much higher. If he didn't get any points...his value wouldn't have dropped as much since the whole team played terrible (except the goalies).

Nucks may have gotten Kassian + 1st rather than Kassian + MAG. Or even Toronto's 5th overall pick.

Meh...what's done is done.

#191 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Cody was a problem. He solved the problem.

That was as simply as much info as Gillis needed to address. Pretty cut and dry, and at this point...a complete non-issue. Who really cares?!

The best part of the presser was that he would do that trade all over again.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#192 Grape

Grape

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

So it seems, av, Raymond and gillis r staying. High possibility of LU and Cory staying too? WTF ..... And Kesler was dealing with injuries, why did he come back to play then?

Do you expect him to say they are leaving?
When he says that he still hasn't made the decision on goalies, he probably already decided to let go one of them.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  
Signature Credit to Vintage Canuck!

Don't Click!

#193 LindsLuvsBurrs

LindsLuvsBurrs

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

For anyone that really thinks Cody would have been that difference maker for us in the playoffs needs to remember he wasn't that difference maker in getting Buffalo into the playoffs!

#194 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Maybe he's trying to save Raymond's trade value so then he can be traded July 1st? you don't really want to throw him under a bus then trade him.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#195 oldtimer

oldtimer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

If they don't make major changes to this team, no matter how much Gillis claims "others" are envious of our team, the Canucks will have trouble selling out their games and will have to manufacture their "sellouts". This market is too knowledgeable to be served proven failed models of the same ineffective players: Raymond Malhotra Luongo to name a few.

#196 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,221 posts

Everyone DOES accept this. The issues is the craptastic return and timing. I think it would have been prudent to hang on to Cody until the offseason. I personally don't think his value would have diminished. He may have had his flaws but he showed he could be a difference maker and add some secondary offense. He was an option the Canucks lacked in the playoffs.

As has been stated, and also backed up with statistics if you've seen the more informed blogs from the time of the trade, his value was peaking for the year. Cody was playing sheltered minutes and his scoring had a fair helping of luck, with an unsustainable shooting % of about 25 during his streak. After the deadline the real hockey starts, and we wouldn't be able to shelter his minutes as well as we had, and his point generation was due to decline. The timing of the trade was just fine.

The return on investment did not help us in the playoffs directly. Pahlsson over Cody was still an improvement, indirectly. Overall you can't call it a bust until we see what Kassian and Gragnani can provide in the coming seasons.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#197 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I agree with you.

If he scored a couple of goals...his stock would be much higher. If he didn't get any points...his value wouldn't have dropped as much since the whole team played terrible (except the goalies).

Nucks may have gotten Kassian + 1st rather than Kassian + MAG. Or even Toronto's 5th overall pick.

Meh...what's done is done.

... or Hodgson would have gotten to be more of a distraction and then after the season publicly asked for a trade (through his father most likely).

Gillis explained his logic, that a player he wanted became available and that was not a chance he was willing to give up. Buffalo would have likely moved Kassian somewhere at the deadline.

The only question is whether Kassian turns into the player they hope or not.

#198 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Seriously, how are cody fanboys not getting this through their head? Having Cody would NOT have made us win the cup. MAYBE get through the first round, but probably not as he was a blatant defensive liability. He was cancerous in the room, and had a bad attitude, and they sold him when his value was highest. Seriously people, this is the truth, accept it. He was not the future of this organization, nor did he want to be.

I don't believe the cancerous part or the attitude. Some players need to play and he wasn't getting it here. Doesn't mean he was dragging the team down in the locker room. At least that's not the sense i get when the players are all talking and laughing.

Kyle Turris needed to play. Ottawa gave it to him and now he's progressing pretty well. That could be the same for Cody.

Personally i want to hear Cody's side of the story.

I think people are starting to jump to conclusions too quickly. I want to be careful of that.

Edited by Monteeun, 24 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#199 Trelane42

Trelane42

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Reading between the lines

-one goalie is almost certainly gone – still not sure which (return governs all), hence hedging his bets

-Lack is very close – not willing to publically gift him backup role just yet, plus may compete with goalie coming back for the above

-Hodgson – “spent more time in the last 3 years dealing with Cody issues than with all other players combined.” (Kind of reminds me of certain CDC members’ priorities.) Priceless, and strong stuff for Mike so you know he had it up to here what with the guy.

-better than 50% AV walks the plank – maybe sold as “mutual agreement” type thing as in Calgary . Knows ownership will have him (Gillis) back, hence no need to delay on AV as he was doing in the presser

-Jensen – sounds like most ready to make the jump, plus coaches really liked him at last last year’s camp. Desperation to get skilled size into lineup?

-Rodin – another year on the farm highly probable

-other minor leaguers – no real indication either way, just name throwing

-Kesler, Edler – no question or indication as to their futures. Thing is you never know with MG. If Philly goes far it will be tough to overlook what they did with their once upon a time 2 core pieces.

#200 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

For anyone that really thinks Cody would have been that difference maker for us in the playoffs needs to remember he wasn't that difference maker in getting Buffalo into the playoffs!

That's a hard comparison, Hodgson had to get adjusted to lines/teammates in Buffalo whereas he was quite versatile here - 2nd or 3rd line. I think we would all agree that the team was better before the trade then after ... we don't know about the long term, we'll see. Getting rid of a whiny PITA as a GM vs. taking a risk to the overall chemistry of a clicking team is a big question. If he was such a PITA, suck it up for a couple more months ... remember we won with Cody vs. that epic game with Boston.

Edited by Neversummer, 24 April 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#201 canucks_booster

canucks_booster

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

If they don't make major changes to this team, no matter how much Gillis claims "others" are envious of our team, the Canucks will have trouble selling out their games and will have to manufacture their "sellouts". This market is too knowledgeable to be served proven failed models of the same ineffective players: Raymond Malhotra Luongo to name a few.

Two badly injured players and one of the best goalies in the league and you called it a "proven failed models of the same ineffective players". Might be time to climb out from under the rock and pay attention to the game.

#202 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

If The Brahma Bull is looking at this thread can you tell Cody Hodgson to "Know your role and shut your mouth!"

#203 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

It's not like he came out and disclosed the conversations that were had. He said he'd spent more time in three years on Coho issues than the rest of the team combined, where is the violation of confidentiality in that?

Sometimes what you don't say speaks volumes more than what you could say. It just leads to more speculation.

#204 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

-Hodgson – “spent more time in the last 3 years dealing with Cody issues than with all other players combined.” (Kind of reminds me of certain CDC members’ priorities.) Priceless, and strong stuff for Mike so you know he had it up to here what with the guy.

I think Gillis was dying to say that ... he must have had that prepared and just waiting for the right moment.

#205 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

I don't believe the cancerous part or the attitude. Some players need to play and he wasn't getting it here. Doesn't mean he was dragging the team down in the locker room. At least that's not the sense i get when the players are all talking and laughing.

Kyle Turris needed to play. Ottawa gave it to him and now he's progressing pretty well. That could be the same for Cody.

Except that is unacceptable in a rookie who has not proven himself... it shows a sense of entitlement which is absolutely against the culture that MG has repeatedly said he runs the club on (being that you earn your ice time).

If Hodgson wanted more minutes then he had to show that he was better than Kesler or Sedin. He was given premium icetime (playoffs and offensive zone faceoffs), and did fine but not well enough to knock off an Art Ross and Selke winner.

#206 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thrilled to hear that the plan is to get younger and stronger
100% agree with that

Nice to have some clarity on Cody's situation

Annoyed that he's still sticking with Mason Raymond. The Canucks have shown Raymond such patience and loyalty. He'd better reward them with his performance next season

Was hoping for a bit more clarity on the goalie situation but perhaps he doesn't know what the plan is yet either.
Seems unfathomable to let Schneider go though

Interesting to hear that MG admit that the team wasn't the same after the Boston game. We all said it and the team denied it but I guess it was true.

Also interesting to hear him call Game 1 of the playoffs a disaster because it was but I just never thought he'd say that.

Hopefully our prospects work hard this summer so that they are ready to make the team next year. We need that youthful talent and energy

I think that's what we've been lacking for a while now. The youth will push this club harder and sometimes, that's what we need to jump start the core players.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#207 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Gillis didn't need to trade Cody this year. Cody was playing hard for the Canucks, if he was a discontent you couldn't tell by his effort on the ice. Gillis is making excuses for the trade.

Ultimately though Gillis said Kassian was one of 6 players he has been targeting for Cody and he would do the trade again. He can be judged on that assessment of Kassian in the long run but in the short run it has been a failure.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is a good strategy.

Edited by gradin123, 24 April 2012 - 11:40 AM.

#208 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,658 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

I was hopping they could, at the time, give him more chance. Maybe take some pressure off of the first and second line.

I'll give Cody one thing, he's driven.

I am somewhat disappointed. He is an awesome player.

Good luck to him.

Edited by Monteeun, 24 April 2012 - 11:31 AM.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#209 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

If Hodgson wanted more minutes then he had to show that he was better than Kesler or Sedin. He was given premium icetime (playoffs and offensive zone faceoffs), and did fine but not well enough to knock off an Art Ross and Selke winner.

If Cody was still around, he would have gotten the chance to prove it in the playoffs. With Kesler's invisibility down the stretch (given that Kes might be playing with an injury), I think the view was that Hodgson would have been another option, not saying he is the savior, just another asset.

Edited by Neversummer, 24 April 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#210 windiddy0

windiddy0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Everyone is acting as if Gillis blatabtly bad-mouthed Cody on live TV. He was basically saying (if you read between the lines) that he worked with Cody to improve his ability as a player and tried to put him in as big a role as he could without sacrificing the teams ability to compere. That being said, it was clear to him that Cody would've rather played a larger role on a different team than a smaller role on this one. I don't think either party lost integrity or was thrown under the bus, he handled that question (after being asked the same one for the 10000000000th time since deadline day) with professionalism.
Furthermore, if you watch any post-season interviews, it's clear that MG, AV and the rest of management all have a strict confidentiality policy while their team or teams they've dealt with directly are still competing in the season. Once that's over, they open up quite a bit to the media, which I think is respectable both strategically and professionally.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.