Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Canucks Press Conference (including discussion on Coho from MG)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
429 replies to this topic

#211 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Gillis didn't need to trade Cody this year. Cody was playing hard for the Canucks, if he was a discontent you couldn't tell by his effort on the ice. Gillis is making excuses for the trade.

Ultimately though Gillis said Kassian was one of 6 players he has been targeting for Cody and he would do the trade again. He can be judged on that assessment of Kassian in the long run but in the short run it has been a failure.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is not a good strategy.

I remember Tony G saying that about Bert when he spent his first few seasons here.

I really do not care about CoHo being gone. For what the organization had wanted...they got. Good for them.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#212 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Luongo said he'll waive his NTC if asked

:o :o :o

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#213 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,080 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Gillis didn't need to trade Cody this year. Cody was playing hard for the Canucks, if he was a discontent you couldn't tell by his effort on the ice. Gillis is making excuses for the trade.

Ultimately though Gillis said Kassian was one of 6 players he has been targeting for Cody and he would do the trade again. He can be judged on that assessment of Kassian in the long run but in the short run it has been a failure.

Also, I am not sure limiting trade discussions to just 6 players is not a good strategy.

That's true as well. Cody didn't seem to miss a beat. People are saying Cody was a cancer and attitude problem but he didn't play like that. Cody was still bringing it.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#214 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Sometimes what you don't say speaks volumes more than what you could say. It just leads to more speculation.

Then let people speculate, they will anyway regardless of whether or not MG came right out and disclosed all the dirty and lascivious details. MG is a lawyer, you don't really think he's going to step over the line regarding violating confidentiality, do you? :P

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#215 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,725 posts

$%^& Cody
Posted Image

#216 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,953 posts

Luongo said he'll waive his NTC if asked

:o :o :o

Who said that?

#217 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,000 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

sure hope the Canucks don't join the Nash sweepstakes (heard the Iginla sweepstakes which could be good but hope they don't have to sell the farm for him)... also good for some clarification from MG himself about the Cody situation (that doesn't make the Kassian acquisition any more justified at present... but good assertion at least on MG's part in establishing the team core with Hank and Kes, just hope Cody doesn't become the stud who in retrospect could've made the difference, or that Kass becomes a bust)

also, if Raymond is qualified can his rights still be traded?

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#218 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Put it together. Daddy Hodgson is a politician and realtor from Toronto. How did this benefit his popularity by having his hockey star son in Vancouver, a market that could of well been on Mars. Get me my son back here. I love that Gillis finally, let out the truth that his family were a huge pain in the a**.

#219 oldtimer

oldtimer

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

Two badly injured players and one of the best goalies in the league and you called it a "proven failed models of the same ineffective players". Might be time to climb out from under the rock and pay attention to the game.

Luongo is one of the best goalie in the league????? Behind Quick, Halak, Elliott, Rinne ,Lundquist,Brodeur,Smith....PLus he is a proven playoff choker.
Neither Raymond nor Malhotra were worth what they were paid in the first place and they certainly are not worth it as severely injured players whoare not likely to recover from the trauma of the severe injuries.
It is very sad that they both suffered debilitating injuries but it is not the Canucks responsibility to provide them with a roster spot out of sympathy.

#220 PuckDrop

PuckDrop

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Who said that?

Talking about it now on team 1040. Audio coming there soon apparently.

#221 HeyKenGuy

HeyKenGuy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Who said that?

umm... luongo?

#222 jyip

jyip

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's hard to say how CoHo will preform in the playoff this year because Sabres didn't make the playoffs. Certain players play well during the reg season but become invisible during the playoffs.

IMO, Having CoHo here wouldn't change the outcome of the situation. I think we would have more GA because of his lack of ability to defend.

IMO, having CoHo here could not possiblity hurt. Prospect for prospect trade is a dumb idea given that CoHo is at least 1.5 years ahead of Kassian in terms of development. Our window to win the cup is now. Why trade for a prospect that isn't going to help us until 2014/15?

Also CoHo gets us points on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hanson. Higgins & Hanson are fast enough to cover for CoHo's slowness. With CoHo here, our 3rd line would outscore LA's third line match ups. It would have been a difference makers for us. 1 goal per game type of difference. IMO.

#223 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Cody wanted out of Vancouver and now luongo does too.

MG comparing us to Columbus.

What a joke our market is becoming.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#224 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

What I read into MG;'s commentes regarding CH is that he had become a distraction. He was not happy and his "team" were causing problems.

Cody had no intention of re-singning with Vancouver and wanted to use this year's playoffs as a showcasing of his talents so he could garner some good offers.

Cody isn't likely a "cancer" but certainly put himself and his career ahead of the team's interests. On a team where so many have parked their egos at the door to play on the Nucks, that is a major irritant.

#225 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Then let people speculate, they will anyway regardless of whether or not MG came right out and disclosed all the dirty and lascivious details. MG is a lawyer, you don't really think he's going to step over the line regarding violating confidentiality, do you? :P

He stated on trade day that he would not comment on what was discussed behind closed doors and that he would respect the confidentiallity of those discussions.

Now Gillis risks Winter and Hodgson comments that leads to further dissention. :sadno:

Edited by nuck nit, 24 April 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#226 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

alrighty, AV not going anywhere.

MG is not going to say "Yes, and I plan to fire AV. Surprise!"
If AV gets sh*tcanned, which I think most people believe will happen, it will not be at a press conference.
Odds are AV is gone . . . with Lou.

no duh.

You win the internet, EOM.

#227 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

No, but most people can't see the forest for the trees. I prefer a room with a view. :bigblush:

Edited by Hotdawg, 24 April 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#228 jyip

jyip

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

$%^& Cody

Why are we blaming CoHo for wanting more minutes? Don't we want him to succeed here? With Kesler's injuries ... why didn't AV give CoHo more and more minutes? Now we know why CoHo production dropped off sharply ... he was getting pee'd off for busting his butt off and still not getting the type of minutes that Kesler or Raymond are getting. my 2 cents

#229 Jimbo572

Jimbo572

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I missed the press conference can somone post it

#230 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

He stated on trade day that he would not comment on what was discussed behind closed doors and that he would respect the confidentiallity of those discussions.

Now Gillis risks Winter and Hodgson comments that leads to further dissention. :sadno:

And MG did not comment on what was discussed behind closed doors and has not violated (or disrespected) the confidentiality of those discussions.

#231 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I get the idea MG is forced to fire AV or be fired himself after he meets Aquilini.

#232 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Seriously, how are cody fanboys not getting this through their head? Having Cody would NOT have made us win the cup. MAYBE get through the first round, but probably not as he was a blatant defensive liability. He was cancerous in the room, and had a bad attitude, and they sold him when his value was highest. Seriously people, this is the truth, accept it. He was not the future of this organization, nor did he want to be.

So you've talked with all the players? You've heard them say he was a cancer in the room? Seems to me he was pretty shocked to be leaving the team and choked when the trade was made. Was Hodgson ever given a real chance on the wing on the 2nd line? No. 2 shifts maybe? I blame AV for all that nonsense. Cody played excellent on the 3rd line and when he was here we actually had a 2nd unit powerplay. When he was gone? Nope. I'd love for someone to pull up some stats but I'm pretty sure our 2nd unit PP scored 0 goals after Hodgson left. Would that have helped us in these playoffs? Without question.
Posted Image

#233 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

IMO, having CoHo here could not possiblity hurt. Prospect for prospect trade is a dumb idea given that CoHo is at least 1.5 years ahead of Kassian in terms of development. Our window to win the cup is now. Why trade for a prospect that isn't going to help us until 2014/15?

Also CoHo gets us points on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hanson. Higgins & Hanson are fast enough to cover for CoHo's slowness. With CoHo here, our 3rd line would outscore LA's third line match ups. It would have been a difference makers for us. 1 goal per game type of difference. IMO.

Agree. The elephant in the room is the .org did not protect the team's centre position with a Ryan Kesler in ghost mode.

Kesler was MIA down the stretch and that second line was ,as well.

No Kes and no second line.Hodgson could have been inserted on the second at centre.

Kes was not bringing it and yet there is silence regarding that important fact.

#234 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I missed the press conference can somone post it

Anyhoo...just watched about 25 minutes of the whole Gillis presser, here are some key points/answers:

-Today he will be meeting with ownership to discuss his own future, and then all folks involved, today will also be the exit meetings with players.

-Hinted that AV will still be at the helm, indicated you dont make changes with the Canuck's most decorated coach because of early playoff exit just for the sake of it.

-Made a few references about his GM peers being envious of the Canucks position as an organization. Points of envy were our goalie tandem and coaching.

-Is behind Mason Raymond. Developing him out of his bad season to get stronger from injury during off season.

-Under no uncertain terms, finally admitted that CoHo wanted out, but did not indicate at which point in time. The way he was deployed was all by design. And he would do the trade all over again. Had offers for a time, but the Kassian offer was one that was presented first.

-Wants to complement the core with youth and size and grandfather the younger prospects (according to plans) into the team.

Namechecked Sweatt, Rodin, Jensen,Gragnani, Tanev, Lack,Schroeder, Connauton, Kassian as players he feels can make a big push next year. Thinks Rodin is the most dynamic of the bunch but suspects he may need one more year. They will be working closely with Lack to work on some areas.

-Schnieds was used all by design to gauge how he handles pressure, but still indicated at retaining a goalie tandem.

-Dissed the media by letting them know that they are approaching this presser as if they are the Blue Jackets.

-Believes the current state of Hockey, and this team, must be about offence. If not "you might as well change the name to Goalie." :lol: Is as suprised that a lauded collection of offensively gifted teams have been bounced in the first round, but maintained his belief in offence.

-Echoed what Hank said about crapping the bed in the first 2 home games and the difficulty of coming back.

-Said players all have ups and downs in careers. Hinted that Kesler has been injured for quite some time.

-Claimed that Jason Botchford is a hack and he wants to punch his stupid hockey-mindless head off his chubby neck.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#235 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Ritch Winter has quite a few clients and the relationship between him and Gillis may now mean no Ritch Winters client will willingly come to Vancouver.

#236 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts

Luongo is one of the best goalie in the league????? Behind Quick, Halak, Elliott, Rinne ,Lundquist,Brodeur,Smith....PLus he is a proven playoff choker.
Neither Raymond nor Malhotra were worth what they were paid in the first place and they certainly are not worth it as severely injured players whoare not likely to recover from the trauma of the severe injuries.
It is very sad that they both suffered debilitating injuries but it is not the Canucks responsibility to provide them with a roster spot out of sympathy.

lol.. of the 7 goalies u mentioned.. all 7 plays behind a defensive style team that doesn't give up much great chances.. proven playoff choker? so basically any goalie in this league that played in the playoff and never won a cup is a choker no?

#237 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

-Claimed that Jason Botchford is a hack and he wants to punch his stupid hockey-mindless head off his chubby neck.

LMAO!! :lol: And I think there would have been a resounding cheer heard throughout the fan base if those words had been said! Go, MG! :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 24 April 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#238 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Do I mind the fact that we gave up Hodgson in a trade for two promising young players? No. Do I mind the fact that they never really got a chance to shine under AV? Yes. I hope they get a decent shot next year, especially when other players aren't performing on our top lines.
Posted Image

#239 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

When the GM is saying he spent more time on one players issues than all other players combined over 3 years that should tell you something. That player cannot be helping the chemistry or the focus of a team. They were 100% right to trade him. (and pssst, he wasn't exactly lighting it up in Buffalo...)

#240 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

And MG did not comment on what was discussed behind closed doors and has not violated (or disrespected) the confidentiality of those discussions.

Sorry,he stated that he spent more time on Hodgson's issues than any other player.Commented.
If he had uttered specifics his rear end is in endless litigation.
If he was secure in his position as GM he would have not commented on his discussions of any player.
He deflected the trade pretty soundly onto the shoulders of a rookie.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.