Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Luongo Get Out Of There, Go To Tampa Bay Or Somewhere ~ Don Cherry

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#91 keslerdude17

keslerdude17

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

so if cherry cant pronouce a guys name right that means he knows nothing about hockey? people are so stupid
cherry was so right about how la was on fire coming into playoffs and canucks were sleeping... if he pronouced sleeping wrong would that make him wrong too?

Edited by keslerdude17, 23 April 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#92 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Give Don a break. He played back in the day when safety equipment was thought of as being cowardly. I suspect we all remember Jacques Plant and the goalie mask, or this guy:

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#93 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

Its actually about which goalie can be moved and which goalie can't. That's what it comes down to.

Oh right no one with a ntc ever gets a trade do they? ... It comes down to who the team wants to go with and all indications are pointing to Cory.

#94 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I wasn't aware the fans were in charge of the starting lineup. This changes everything!

Whose talking about starting line-ups? I have no problem with Schneider, in fact, I agree that he is the better goaltender. The point I am making is that the fans are responsible jeering Lu, booing Lu and cheering when Schneider comes in net. It's pretty obvious that most of the fans hate Luongo. Therefore, If I were him, I would leave and never come back. Wouldn't you do the same? If everyone in the city you played for hated you?

He's a darn good goalie. It's sad really. Here's to hoping Lu rips it up in Tampa or wherever. He deserved a Stanley Cup the way he was playing the first two games.

Edited by JeffTambo10, 23 April 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Posted Image

#95 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

will be interesting how this all un folds

sad tho that Louuu will fall into that Mark Messier, Mats Sundin, Canucks history book of

the Eagles song

take the money and run!!

Lu will never drop as low as Messier (Thank goodness). Messier was hated by virtually everyone. Lu has had many supporters during his time with us and he still has some. Messier has next to no positive effect on our franchise, whereas Luongo would become the best goaltender in franchise history.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#96 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Seriously do any of you grasp the fact this team has really deep pockets, tons of assets and both goalies could be back next year ? More likely than the retarded rumors going around about Lou for an aging and nearly done Lecavalier ! Seriously CDC needs an ENEMA !

Edited by vanfan73, 23 April 2012 - 10:05 PM.

finn_and_jake_by_abysswolf-d6bgo83.gif

Once, on vacation,  using only a rake and a pair of sunglasses,

I single-handedly defended a small village in Italy from a colony of angry wasps. :ph34r:

#97 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

If I was Luongo I would leave and never look back. A vezina trophy winner, a gold medal winner and stanley cup finalist booted out by this city. Brutal "fans".

He didn't win the vezina...he was a finalist.

#98 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

Don just said in between periods that Luongo isnt a backup and should go to Tampa Bay or somewhere.

Seems like Lu's time here might be done.

Too bad we cant keep them both.

Luongo was solid this year and the reason we won the President's Trophy.

ya since cherry's opinion matters so much to MG... just cause he is predicting it doesn't me it will happen,

Posted Image

Posted Image

#99 Go Faulk Yourself

Go Faulk Yourself

Junko

• Members
  • 6,115 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

If Luongo does get traded, and then wins the Stanley cup against the Canucks in the finals sometime in the near future, I will laugh.

9HRDQZn.gif

St. Louis Blues STHS GM small.png

Colorado Avalanche EHL GM small.png

#100 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,374 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:55 PM

The Eastern media wants us to dump Luongo cause they know how good he is and that he gives us a chance to win every season.

They want us to fail people.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#101 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Luongo showed his loyalty to himself, when the local media asked him if he wanted to play for the Canucks ,and he said I want to play for any team that gives ME, the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. Zero loyalty to our city, and a clever extortion that had Gillis fumbling all over himself, and gave him the ridiculous 12 year 64 mill.deal.
No one has ever come close to Luongo for being the most divisive athlete in Vancouver sports history, including Bryant Reeves.

#102 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

<p>

If I was Luongo I would leave and never look back. A vezina trophy winner, a gold medal winner and stanley cup finalist booted out by this city. Brutal "fans".

Confusing Lou with Brodeur? Lou hasn't won a Vezina. Nominated...but never won.I'd still take Schneider over Lou. Lou is a good goalie but I think Schneider is better. He's faster laterally and has better balance. He's also younger. You'll get a definite split on this board who should be kept.
Posted Image

#103 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:00 AM

don cherry does indeed pronounce certain names wrong on purpose, its part of his schtick and all the players know it...and thats why Lu said he considers it a term of endearment when Cherry pronounces his name wrong.
It was documented in the don cherry story why he does it(pronounces names wrong) and it goes way back to his dons early days and has nothing to do with don being senile or just plain not knowing hes doing it....he gets corrected all the time by mcclean...but chooses to ignore him because its all part of the show...its become part of their trademark whether people like it or not.
I, lol, when people on here get upset about it, cause cherry is trolling them hard!

#104 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:31 AM

I'm excited about Joe Cannata, won his first pro game in decisive fashion and along with Lack provides some serious goaltending depth. I am of the opinion that Schneider is a better goaltender than Luo at the moment, but considering this team's future netminders, keeping Luo will be far from disasterous.

The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades. - Simon and Garfunkle ;)
Posted Image

#105 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

True. He calls him "Bieska" ON TV!!!!!!!!!!! So I wouldnt trust what Don Cherry says, if he cant even pronounce Bieksa's name, and hes "apparently" his favorite player.

just because Cherry says one thing doesnt mean it will happen. Cherry is (even if you hate to admit it) quote s respected and at times can be funny guy. He speaks his opinion and never holds back even with superstar players, and that is something you must respect with him. But like i said because he thinks Luongo should leave does not mean it will happen. Gillis has a lot of thinking to do between the coaching staff, the goaltending situation and what the Canucks need to get rid of and what they need to obtain. This off-season should be a busier one than last year.Regardless of how the year ended, I am still proud to be a Canuck fan and you have to face the facts, LA wanted to win a lot more than we did. Quick and Brown were great agaisnt us and I wish them and all other teams still in the playoffs the best of luck this year. We'll be back stronger next year.

team-canada-jarome-iginla-photo.jpg

#106 inCalgaryCANUCKSFAN

inCalgaryCANUCKSFAN

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

CS agent thinks that we might not have to worry about getting rid of a goalie at this point. At the same time CS agent could be just saying all the right things.

http://www.calgaryhe...7161/story.html

#107 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Yup, so I WOULD NOT trust what he says...if he CANT even pronounce players names right...And his suits are PATHETIC!

Rag on Don Cherry and CBC all you want but NEVER bash the suits! :bigblush:

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#108 Great Save Luongo!!!

Great Save Luongo!!!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,898 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

Nothing would make me happier than if somehow we kept both Luo and Schneids.
Posted Image

#109 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Seriously do any of you grasp the fact this team has really deep pockets, tons of assets and both goalies could be back next year ? More likely than the retarded rumors going around about Lou for an aging and nearly done Lecavalier ! Seriously CDC needs an ENEMA !

It's not about deep pockets in a cap system. When 4 to 5 mill of goalie could be a stud D-man, you have to start making decisions.

As for Don, he's a fussy old windbag, but his mispronouncing names is not stupidity, it's his silly style. Chances are, it's because he really likes you but you are in a situation he would normally not like. (Guy La Flower anyone?)

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#110 Line Juggler

Line Juggler

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

You know what, it's the bloody media that is making a big mess of things. It's frickin rediculous!!
Posted Image

#111 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

You know what, it's the bloody media that is making a big mess of things. It's frickin rediculous!!

Ok easy now... it's not the media making decisions and it's not the fans! Mike Gillis calls the shots so relax a bit and let it happen. Every year there is all sorts of speculation but not much of it ever happens!

#112 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I tend to agree with you. Although I will point out he was only a Vezina finalist. He did win the Jennings though. In the future a lot of people are going to yearn for the days when we had an "elite" goalie in our nets. I honestly hope MG finds a way to keep them both and they split duties more evenly, but I think it is unlikely.

Cherry is right in that Luongo doesn't deserve to be a back-up.
Posted Image

#113 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Luongo showed his loyalty to himself, when the local media asked him if he wanted to play for the Canucks ,and he said I want to play for any team that gives ME, the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. Zero loyalty to our city, and a clever extortion that had Gillis fumbling all over himself, and gave him the ridiculous 12 year 64 mill.deal.
No one has ever come close to Luongo for being the most divisive athlete in Vancouver sports history, including Bryant Reeves.

That is pure BS. You've based your opinion on Luongo on one soundbite from our media. How many other times has he said all the right things about being apart of this team , in this city, about wanting to win the cup with this team? Plenty.
Posted Image

#114 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

+100

Stopped posting in GDT because of Luo getting blamed all the time, even when he wasn't playing. As horrible as MAF was in that one game against Philly, the Pen fans supported and cheered him on the next game he played. Do you think that would happen here? Nope. Sick and tired of the constant negativity towards this team and certain players.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#115 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,845 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

True. He calls him "Bieska" ON TV!!!!!!!!!!! So I wouldnt trust what Don Cherry says, if he cant even pronounce Bieksa's name, and hes "apparently" his favorite player.

I trust Don Cherry way more than the armchair wannabe GM's and Coaches here on CDC.

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#116 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

Facts for the this years playoffs: Schneider earned 100% more wins than Luongo did...

Math fail.
Posted Image

#117 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

That is pure BS. You've based your opinion on Luongo on one soundbite from our media. How many other times has he said all the right things about being apart of this team , in this city, about wanting to win the cup with this team? Plenty.

Talk is just that, talk. The point is he said it and walked into the most undeserving contract in Vancouver sports history. Ridiculous, and Gillis and the owners fell for it. And I'm sure they now regret it. Also if you think I don't study goalies and just listen to their soundbytes your wrong.I study them more than the other players, so no my opinion is not Bs, it's based on observation.Luongo said it and everyone knows it. You calling my reporting of secondary data pure bs is what is even funnier!

#118 Loselongo

Loselongo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Are you the same guy that wrote the bio for Luongo in the Italian Walk of Fame?

#119 grumpworsley

grumpworsley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Did I hear that right during the presser Mike Gillis screwed up and called Roberto Luongo Roberto Aquilongo

#120 PlayingBurke

PlayingBurke

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

I would trade it all for a Stanley Cup.
Posted Image
Credit: -Vintage Canuck-

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.