Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Five-Star Hotel Not Good Enough, Bev Oda Opts For Posh Hotel Favoured By Royalty

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

#31 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

I never liked her and feel she is more of a cancer to the economy than a positive influence.

If she's cancer then Jim Flaherty is the bubonic plague.

Ironically the credit infection is nation wide and the cause (made so easy by the super availability in credit thanks to federal policies) is the average Canadian doing their own Bev Oda impression and living well above their means, on the public dime.

Same thing, just times 10-20 million.........

#32 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,328 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Just fire her already, it can't be hard to replace someone who is that self-centered.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#33 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Hopefully she pays for it in the polls.

If she resigns then we have a by election which will cost even more money.

Should recall be an option?

#34 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Okay, ron. What does Bev Oda have to do in order to resign. How far is too far for you?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#35 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Okay, ron. What does Bev Oda have to do in order to resign. How far is too far for you?

I would insist in receipts being given and all travel arrangements be followed. If there are any deviations she pays for them. Determine a policy (stay at the venue, etc.) for what is covered by the state and what is not.

Don't follow this and then she's gone to far.

Don't get me wrong. She's not been good, just not so bad to boot her out. You can see it from there though.

That done, direct parliment to our own very real problems.

#36 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

If you were in the head of a large corporation not only would you be staying in swanky places like that you would get ten times the salary.

Except Oda is nowhere close to the head of the "corporation". She is somewhere along the lines of junior officer.

Also, you are defending her as though its her first time. Its not. She has pulled crap like multiple times in the past.

Edited by The Situation, 25 April 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Posted Image

#37 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Hopefully she pays for it in the polls.

If she resigns then we have a by election which will cost even more money.

Keep a hawk eye going, submit all receipts, and let her fate be decided.

I really don't care if she does resign but I find it funny we worry about a couple grand on a hotel room yet remain oblivious to the country teetering towards a massive recession/depression..........

http://www2.macleans...housing-bubble/

When the credit bubble pops (housing bubble is the least of our problems) the cons are going to have bigger problems then overindulging on hotel rooms!

It's because of these entitled fools that our country is teetering towards a massive recession/depression. Trim the rot from the branches before the whole tree is killed.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#38 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,278 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

I would insist in receipts being given and all travel arrangements be followed. If there are any deviations she pays for them. Determine a policy (stay at the venue, etc.) for what is covered by the state and what is not.

Don't follow this and then she's gone to far.

Don't get me wrong. She's not been good, just not so bad to boot her out. You can see it from there though.

That done, direct parliment to our own very real problems.

I'm not sure if there's going to be a policy on venues. It's very hard and subject to a lot of circumstances. Yes, Harper is very controlling of his party caucus and will try to make sure Oda or anyone else does not make a stupid mistake like this again. But they've always defended some of their extravagant airline fees (helicopters, fighter jets among other things). It's just that this particular instance was indefensible.

Something we should note here is that the Conservatives did not defend her until after she apologized. That means whatever she did, there's no excuse to it, or at least nothing that the party could try and sell. That's pretty bad, considering Harper's history of vehemently defending his cabinet ministers.

You said earlier that she would pay for it in the polls. I disagree. If she messes something up in her own riding, she will pay for it in the polls. She is apologizing and all, but the reality is that the party is making her do it. The Conservatives are in damage control, but this is different from last time. Last time she screwed up, they defended her and they were willing to pay the price. This time, they made her apologize straight up. Her leash just got a lot tighter, and I'm tempted to believe that she's been given a THIRD chance because of she's a female minority. Because let's face it: she REALLY sucks as a politician. If anything, she should go or at least step down (that whole poor people thing and the 17 dollar juice looks really bad on her) as minister, for the party's sake.

I know I'm taking a different approach to this (Scorpio Ego will accuse me of being complacent towards the political games), but she is an idiot who will probably screw up again. Nobody wants someone like that, or at least not in the public sphere or at the front bench.
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#39 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

It's because of these entitled fools that our country is teetering towards a massive recession/depression. Trim the rot from the branches before the whole tree is killed.

(Way) Too Late......

#40 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Bev Oda should step down as Cabinet Minister (in fact politically it woudl be best if Harper removes her).

I don't think this offense merits resignation as an MP though.

#41 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

Bev Oda should step down as Cabinet Minister (in fact politically it woudl be best if Harper removes her).

I don't think this offense merits resignation as an MP though.

Punishment for her poor judgement and doesn't trigger a by-election the taxpayers would have to pay for?

Sounds like a solid solution to me.
Posted Image

#42 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

go back and look at her pic, she is laughing at us......!"/$%?&*....that is all.
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#43 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Fool me once.......

The Libs and REEEFFOOORMMM !!! as ole Preston would say have shown us TIME and AGAIN that they cannot be trusted. Anyone who thinks that this stuff will is in lala land.

Plush pensions, the ability to "reward" "friends" , the list goes on and on for reasons why corruption will reign.

enjoy

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.