The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Comments By David Booth On Twitter Today

luongo.is.god

I agree that technically the players don't owe anybody anything, except maybe they owe putting in the effort for their coach and teammates - but by the same token I, as a fan, don't owe them anything either. Some people just can't afford the sky high prices for the tickets and fan gear, I can, but decided to spend my money elsewhere this year after witnessing some very sub-par hockey. If people were actually smart enough, they would do the same. Those that go to hockey games and later complain about the price have the option not to go. And maybe if enough people actually followed through on their anger, the team could feel the wrath and play a few games in a mostly empty arena. Then they would see that maybe they do need us as much as we need them and that this relationship goes both ways. This is why Toronto pisses me off so much, always complaining about the team and yet every game is sold out. Well then, you get what you pay for.

As for Booth and his tweets, it's clear they can rub people the wrong way, but talking about how hockey player careers cannot be compared to other jobs and are oh so hard and we just can't understand what it's like, blah blah - listen, it's a sport - it requires unparalleled physical fitness and discipline. It is hard on the body, it causes injuries. It also pays a lot of money. I enjoy it and respect it, but don't act like it's something more important than doctors, scientists, engineers or teachers who get paid squat all for carrying our future on their shoulders. I am sorry but professional sports doesn't compare. He is paid 4.5 mil to win hockey games and my old man got paid 35,000 to teach 150 teenagers every day. And when his job was on the line he sure as hell wasn't sitting around quoting Teddy Roosevelt.

I was trying all day to keep my temper under wraps and then he tweeted that and I fricken blew up! Started swearing and the whole works lol

I don't like his attitude. Stop being philosophical about defeat. Reality is he's being paid $4.25 million to do a job and he didn't do it. He didn't even come close to doing it. Quoting the Bible or famous figures isn't going to help justify his play and lack of effort.

I can understand that sometimes in life we can do all we want and we still won't get a desired result. I'm a hockey player too and there have been times where I've poured my heart and soul into a game or season or tournament and, when we lost, it devastated me.

But there has to be an accountability and a recognition of what went wrong. Booth doesn't seem to be overly hard on himself for failures. He just chalks it up to "the will of God". I'm not ok with a guy making that much money being satisfied to pass off blame to a higher authority

/end rant.........wow that felt good

Since this is the "bash Booth" thread I'm just going to say that David Booth was not the worse Canuck in that series. He worked hard every shift despite not passing but to criticize him on a tweet is obsurd. He is absolutely correct. Who are we to sit here and bash on him? I believe that we should be allowed to criticize a players performance but not to this degree. David booth doesn't play for the fans; neither does any hockey player. They play for their coaches, teammates, family, friends. David should be allowed to voice his opinion besides he's nearly getting run out of town

Since this is the "bash Booth" thread I'm just going to say that David Booth was not the worse Canuck in that series. He worked hard every shift despite not passing but to criticize him on a tweet is obsurd. He is absolutely correct. Who are we to sit here and bash on him? I believe that we should be allowed to criticize a players performance but not to this degree. David booth doesn't play for the fans; neither does any hockey player. They play for their coaches, teammates, family, friends. David should be allowed to voice his opinion besides he's nearly getting run out of town

Some people may think this is nonsense, but sometimes i really worry about the separation between the Canucks and their fans. You can tell the team and fans aren't a close bunch. The crowd hardly ever really gets into it, the Canucks were obviously quite bothered by the riot last year, and some players are starting to speak out a bit. You had Bieksa calling out the crowd for not being loud enough and now you have Booth calling out people in a way on Twitter.

The fans are getting restless and the players sense it. I think the pressure is getting to them. The Canucks organization possesses a wealth of resources and a damn good roster (on paper) but year after year they just can't get it done.

Well, then, they lost the battle. So what do the fans, who ultimately pay for Booth's salary say then?. "Good job"? "Nice try"? Horsebleep. He underperformed, as did many Canucks. To excuse that, or to say "we'll get 'em next time" is just excusing poor performance. Try doing that in the real job world and see how it goes down with clients.

I still want him on this team. He will have a whole summer with us this time to get ready. He will be a beast next season for sure. I hope he isn't traded.

Our team needs a few tweaks, that's all. If anything major needs to happen, it's with the coaching staff.

Lol. At the end of the reg season you saw all the teams who didn't make the playoffs thank their fans. They used twitter and the media to send personalized "thank you" messages for the fans. This is what we get? A veiled "screw you". Ya, thanks. Thanks to Canucks fans for paying some of the highest tickets prices in the NHL, and selling out the arena consecutively more than any other NHL fanbase. In turn, it allowed Canucks org. to spend to the cap every year, employ sleep Dr.'s and nutritionists for the players enjoyment. Thanks for that David Booth, and thanks for the wonderful $4.3M season you gave us.

Archived