The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Comments By David Booth On Twitter Today

luongo.is.god

Sorry, this is kind of the problem with some of the fans. Just because we buy tickets doesn't entitle us to a team that wins all the time. We are allowed to be unhappy, but to constantly question heart, soul, and effort? That's a little over the line. David Booth may not have been super effective and that may see him shipped off. But I'm sure it wasn't for lack of trying or caring.

When I first read the tweets, I wasn't quite sure as to who DB was aiming them at... but, after re-reading it, I don't think he was intentionally trying to flame the fanbase. I think that after the loss, a lot was being said about the teams supposed "lack of heart/ passion/ etc" and quite honestly, as observers, thats what it looked like. I think his tweets were just a way to tell the fans/ media that contrary to the rumours out there, the guys in the room did have passion. I mean, I don't think there is any other way of saying "Listen up people, we care, we had the fire and we're devastated about this loss contrary to what the critics believe" OTHER than using a speech or quote and so, thats what he did.

But, at the end of the day, in this hockey market-- these kinds of things are going to add fuel to the fire. And, obviously, he gets paid millions of dollars to score goals and play a game that we all wished we could make a living from.

PS: I'd like to also point out that I don't think he mean't for his tweets to be construed in a way that means "we lost because it was in God's plan."

I would be fine if this tweet came from Luongo, Schneider or any of the players who actually did something in the playoffs. When its coming from one of the higher paid players on the team who didn't do a damn thing in the playoffs it really makes me want him gone from the team. Too bad his contract is just brutal and will haunt this team in the near future.

I've defended his quote to a degree - but I definitely agree with the bolded part.

I don't like the fact that when something goes wrong, it was "a part of God's plan". If Booth really thinks that - fine so be it. But he should know that that is NOT what fans want to hear. We don't want to know that some higher power has something planned out for this team in the future - we care about the present and winning right now. Besides, some of us aren't religious and those of us that are, not all of us are Christian - so it does get a little awkward listening to him talk about his religion.

This is sport and you should talk about sports. Like someone mentioned, this quote: "On an off night I tell myself that hockey is not what defines me as a person." struck a nerve with me.

If hockey does not define Booth - then so be it. But again, please don't tell the fans that. To us, you're being paid over $4 million dollars to play a sport. Just play, that's all we ask :(

Edit: Also, I hope this doesn't come off as 'bashing' Booth. That's not my intention - it was just some pent up frustration.

Lol. At the end of the reg season you saw all the teams who didn't make the playoffs thank their fans. They used twitter and the media to send personalized "thank you" messages for the fans. This is what we get? A veiled "screw you". Ya, thanks. Thanks to Canucks fans for paying some of the highest tickets prices in the NHL, and selling out the arena consecutively more than any other NHL fanbase. In turn, it allowed Canucks org. to spend to the cap every year, employ sleep Dr.'s and nutritionists for the players enjoyment. Thanks for that David Booth, and thanks for the wonderful $4.3M season you gave us.

I kind of agree with you on this.. to be honest I get this feeling from a good chunk of the Canucks, i try to ignore it but it does bother me. I notice a lot in interviews the guys saying stuff like 'we do this for each other' 'we let each other down' 'we dont listen to anything anyone outside the room says' etc etc. All great and dandy but I feel like sometimes with the way they are saying it, its like the disregard fans, you hear that a lot more than 'we do it for the fans' etc. Obviously they play for each other.. and dont want to listen to negative critism etc, but being in the public like that they have to expect some criticism and let down from fans. And there are a lot of fans out there who are still supporting them and sending good wishes out for next year, its not fair to fans to shut them out and include them with the bad publicity.

put a playmaker in between kesler and booth and you'll see goals galore -

kesler doesn't pass

raymond cant do anything..

what do you expect? the guy to score 40 goals without a playmaker?

obviously he;ll try doing it on his own - just like kesler..

oh and the thread..

DAVID BOOTH IS ENTITLED TO HIS OPINION - on anything and everything - hes human.

The problem is the fans pay for Booth's salary...Booth does not pay fans for support. Like I already said Booth is very deserving of criticism since he's one of the higher paid players on the team and his contribution is nowhere near the level of compensation he is receiving. So in summation take the criticism Booth it is well deserved.

I wholeheartedly agree with the situation. No one except the guys in the locker room know what it's like, hence I hate it when the bandwagoners jump on, talking like they've coached 20 years in the NHL or something. You can have your opinion heard but much of it is criticism - too many times unjust. Whether it is deserved or not isn't something for fans to decide.

If you want to be of use for the Canucks, cheer hard and support them in every manner, don't play armchair GM, get off the playstation, and heck you may as well follow them in the community work.

If David Booth thinks he 'fought the good fight' or gave it his all, I beg to differ.

Based on what I saw this year, he either

A) Didn't try very hard at all

B) Isn't that talented to begin with.

Did David Booth contribute more to the Canucks than Samuelsson did in previous years? NO. Do you think Booth has it in him to play better? Well I damn well hope so because he was a disappointment out there, along with several other forwards (Among them is Mason R. or for confidentiality we can call him M. Raymond)

David Booth should take some inspiration from real rugged playoff warriors who DID put it all out there, like Andreychuk or Brind'Amour, or Joe Sakic/ Yzerman (2002 for Stevie Y, amazing despite massive injury) and then reflect on whether or not he gave it as much as those guys did. I bet he will find himself wanting.

The man quoted a great speech from an historical American President. What are you all b****ing about. How would you like a customer to tell you how to do your job every 2 hours?, and claim your invisible, useless etc etc. Yah the modern Canuck fan is a Narcissitic disorderd personallity, who can hurl insults at any and every hockey player, but can't handle a single one of them, quoting one wise man's speech.

The man quoted a great speech from an historical American President. What are you all b****ing about. How would you like a customer to tell you how to do your job every 2 hours?, and claim your invisible, useless etc etc. Yah the modern Canuck fan is a Narcissitic disorderd personallity, who can hurl insults at any and every hockey player, but can't handle a single one of them, quoting one wise man's speech.

I think he's right. Personally I don't mind dissecting, analayzing, and even criticising players, because I like the strategy and technical part of the game. But I hate when a little criticism turns into full on bashing and hate. I think there's a difference there.

Some fans have the attitude that the team somehow owes them something personally. It's so pathetic when people who are sitting on their comfy couch in the living room, straight up insult professional athletes who are actually out there doing the hard work and dedicating their lives to the sport. Well ff the player you're insulting is a "bum" or a "loser", then what does that make you? A huge hypocrite.

I think of the time when Paul McCallum missed that kick in the Grey Cup, and "fans" dumped cow sh*t on his lawn. How can any logical person do that?

are you ???? serious right now???(the bold) why the hell should he care what you idiots think... and you can't blame him for his salary blame florida they signed him and went with a big number to hit the cap floor. Second he spends weeks away from family and friends can u do that it doesn't matter how much money you have if you're never with your family and able to spend it on them, tell me what you want a guy to say after a lose where every damn person in the room is frustrated you need something to say and most guys go with the classic "they were better, outplayed us, blahblah" you people dont jump on them you go for the guy who says "it was god" because he just wants to get the hell away from the brainless turds in the media. and to those crying about "attacking" Christianity calm ur crap some people just arent able to get their point across on the internet. i agree with his quote. if you can come here and "rant" why cant he "rant" on twitter?

Archived