The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting Comments By David Booth On Twitter Today

luongo.is.god

I don't understand everyone in this thread. He is under performing based on his salary, and everyone looks past it. I've seen MANY quotes on how people are defending him. Let me put it this way.

I'm going through school as a Nurse. Now, for being paid like 2% of his annual salary, my job is arguably going to much harder than his (perhaps not physically). If I make mistakes, by God, my teachers drill new ***holes into me over and OVER until I get it right. There is NO excuse for failure for me, especially when lives may or may not be in my hands.

What I'm pissed about is his f***ing quote. Yeah, you're so poetic when you quote an old US president about how you can't point fingers at failure because we're not in his shoes. You're ****ing right I'm going to point fingers. That quote shows how he believes there's not much "accountability" for his actions. I have an incredible amount of accountability in my future job for being paid almost nothing compared to his salary. But it's OK, he can pull out a quote and shift blame from his underachieving season to how hard the game is.

Now you're thinking... well, you're just some guy on the internet pointing fingers. Well, that's quite true, but not without a point. David Booth is a very bad player this season. He doesn't pass, barely scores and barely has any points. He was almost an invisible player in the playoffs except for maybe 1 or 2 chances, which of course, that he has troubling finishing on. If I'm indirectly paying for his salary and the city of Vancouver as well, he is not above criticism and he should be damn well performing alot better. Then, to pull out the quote and then not thank the fans who's paying his damn salary on top of it... slap in the face. Really hope he steps it up next season or gets traded.

No one forced David Booth, or any other professional athlete to chose this profession as their job. It was a choice. And the reality in professional sports and fanbases are, you don't have one without the other. Their is no 'Vancouver Canucks' if they don't have a large fanbase who a) buys tickets to hockey games b ) purchases team merchandise c) watch the team in TV

You choose to play professional sports, then you choose you to be in the spotlight. That spotlight will always provide a combination of love and hate, it's how professional sports work. Habs are under just as much pressure as the Leafs, why have they made the playoffs? The Leafs are a bad hockey team, that's why they didn't make the playoffs - it has nothing to do with their fanbase.

I am under public scrutiny in my job, but I realized that when I accepted the challenge. I chose this career and it meant I chose what came with it. The sooner David Booth can accept that, the sooner he can take responsibility for his own actions.

Interesting he chose Theodore Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" quote.

Essentially, it means that the man we should praise is the man who’s out there fighting the big battles, even if those battles end in defeat.

Obviously I'm disappointed with the loss, but I'm just a fan. It must suck way worse as a player who sacrifices a lot (monetary gain aside) to play 82 games in a season waiting for the big show - only to be ousted so early once it arrives.

This loss feels horrible, but I'm still proud of the team :)

I have no doubt in my mind that Booth is someone of amazing character. When guys on our team were flopping around and pleading to the refs, Booth came out and said he doesn't focus on missed calls and just focuses on playing his game.

Beyond that, I do believe he works hard, even if the results weren't quite there. It's kind of like how the Sedins' / Kesler mentioned when they first got into the playoffs they tried TOO hard if anything, and didn't perform well because they'd essentially exhaust themselves for the next shifts or latter portion of the game.

I think Booth has the right physical / mental skill set to succeed, but needs to work on his chemistry with other players. Realistically though, our team chemistry this season has been down the crapper, so he's part of a bigger problem that was plaguing most of our team.

That quote shows how he believes there's not much "accountability" for his actions. I have an incredible amount of accountability in my future job for being paid almost nothing compared to his salary. But it's OK, he can pull out a quote and shift blame from his underachieving season to how hard the game is.

Money doesn't make any easier to handle pressure. And the pressure Vancouver puts on its team is WAY higher than it ought to be. The truly funny thing is that the only way to handle pressure is to disregard it and the people who put it on you. But if they do, they get criticised for that as well.

I don't understand everyone in this thread. He is under performing based on his salary, and everyone looks past it. I've seen MANY quotes on how people are defending him. Let me put it this way.

I'm going through school as a Nurse. Now, for being paid like 2% of his annual salary, my job is arguably going to much harder than his (perhaps not physically). If I make mistakes, by God, my teachers drill new ***holes into me over and OVER until I get it right. There is NO excuse for failure for me, especially when lives may or may not be in my hands.

What I'm pissed about is his f***ing quote. Yeah, you're so poetic when you quote an old US president about how you can't point fingers at failure because we're not in his shoes. You're ****ing right I'm going to point fingers. That quote shows how he believes there's not much "accountability" for his actions. I have an incredible amount of accountability in my future job for being paid almost nothing compared to his salary. But it's OK, he can pull out a quote and shift blame from his underachieving season to how hard the game is.

Now you're thinking... well, you're just some guy on the internet pointing fingers. Well, that's quite true, but not without a point. David Booth is a very bad player this season. He doesn't pass, barely scores and barely has any points. He was almost an invisible player in the playoffs except for maybe 1 or 2 chances, which of course, that he has troubling finishing on. If I'm indirectly paying for his salary and the city of Vancouver as well, he is not above criticism and he should be damn well performing alot better. Then, to pull out the quote and then not thank the fans who's paying his damn salary on top of it... slap in the face. Really hope he steps it up next season or gets traded.

If that was a preview of how he plays in the playoffs, I'm a little worried.

I'l give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that he was just slow to adjust to his new team. But if not, it looks like we have another Mason Raymond type player that costs almost twice as much.

Archived