Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 5 votes

A Schneider Trade Is Just What The Fans And Luongo Need?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

POPULAR

Before I start, I want to say that all the talk with the media about Vancouver being the "goalie graveyard" is total Bull. All Hockey crazed teams have it and huge criticism is present in sports....I'm pretty sure if cities like Toronto and in Montreal (which im going to talk about) had the luxury of goalies with the calibre of Luongo and Schneider, then the fans in those cities would be reacting the same if one of the goalies were to "not be able to perform" to their expectations, if not more in those cities, especially Montreal...... I mean, Reimer/Gustavsson is not exactly Luongo/Schneider LOL.

With all of the Luongo/Schneids talk going on nowadays, I see it being really similar to the situation we had in Montreal (I am a huge Habs fan and Canucks fan as I'm from originally from Montreal). A few years back it wasn't Luongo/Schneider but for us, it was Price/Halak. I remember that year when it was only pre-season that critics were ready to watch Price's every move, to see if he would stop all the pucks shot at him and if even one "bad" goal were to go in, EVERYONE in the bell center would start jeering and make fun of him, yelling at management to trade him (MUCH like that of Vancouver) and Halak (Schneider in this case) was the beloved one of Montreal. Carey Price was so hated at a time that people started making fun of him even in the Pre-season by "mockingly cheering" him when ever Price made an easy save (remember, this was in Pre- Season), causing Price to take shots at the fans with his "Chill out, it's only pre-season rant" (I'm surprised that Luongo didn't do anything like that even once). Halak soon became "the saviour" as there were games when Price choked and Halak basically came to "save the day" and even steal games for them. The goaltending controversy had begun in Montreal.

In the playoffs that year, the underdog Canadiens stunned the NHL when they took out giants like the Capitals and Penguins and Halak (the so-called backup) was the guy that lead the Canadiens to the Conference finals with the Flyers (Schneids played amazing in the first round). Even though the Canadiens lost that round, Montreal was beaming with excitement, making songs about about how Halak was the best goalie (yes, I said making songs), stores selling-out Halak jerseys and people were even saying that this "Halak" would be the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Canadiens fans were absolutely stunned when the management let Halak go to St. Louis (I believe he is the back-up currently) and were left with "having to accept" their "original projected Number 1" (sound like Luongo?) Carey Price. Sure, you can say that the Canadiens haven't been doing well, especially this year, but now, there is NO goaltending controversy in Montreal. In fact, most of the blame from a disappointing season like this (for the Canadiens) wasn't put on the most common target, Price, but rather the management and the leadership. Price actually seems to be doing a LOT better now without Halak and Montreal fans have grown into accepting Price. (Maybe that will be the same case with Luongo and Vancouver won't be a "goalie graveyard")

As much as Schneider lovers wouldn't want Schneids to go, I think you gotta keep Luongo. I think Luongo would do much better if he didn't have to worry about the other goalie outplaying him (I'm not sure about Eddie Lack but he is not as good as Schneider). Canucks fans are truly lucky that they are blessed with two wonderful goalies. Luongo, who lead this team one win away from glory, in my mind, must stay. I don't think the Canucks would be the same without him.

#2 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,140 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

POPULAR

Sorry, but you don't move a goalie like Schneider because you think Luongo might do better without him around.
Unlike the young Price, Luongo hasn't played worse with Schneider around - he has still played very well - it is simply the case that Schneider has slowly and surely earned his equality with Luongo.

Edited by oldnews, 23 April 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#3 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

POPULAR

As much as Schneider lovers wouldn't want Schneids to go, I think you gotta keep Luongo. I think Luongo would do much better if he didn't have to worry about the other goalie outplaying him (I'm not sure about Eddie Lack but he is not as good as Schneider). Canucks fans are truly lucky that they are blessed with two wonderful goalies. Luongo, who lead this team one win away from glory, in my mind, must stay. I don't think the Canucks would be the same without him.

Actually, without a goaltender pushing him to play good would be bad for him. He will relax when theres no CS breathing down his neck, he will be back to his prima donna attitude because we have no other option to play in net if he craps the bed again.

#4 Grape

Grape

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

I agree

Schneids, Raymond, 2nd round pick for

Purcell, Connolly, 1st round pick (TBL)
Posted Image Posted Image
Sig made by The Great Honey Badger™

Don't Click!

#5 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

There wasn;t much to choose between Halak and Price...This year the stats are so much in Schneiders favour that you are comparing apples to oranges ! If Lou was not pushed he may not have been as good as he was...but unless Lou fixes whats broke...we will live without a cup.

#6 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

POPULAR

"I think Luongo would do much better if he didn't have to worry about the other goalie outplaying him" ....Why not just trade the weaker goalie with less mental-toughness.....Welcome to the Schneider Era.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#7 oblique

oblique

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

POPULAR

Nice try, Luongo.

#8 lappykass

lappykass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I read your post, I remember the Halak era. I just dont think Luongo really beneifts NOT having somebody to steal his job away from him. If anything, it should make him more determined and wanting to perform. I really strongly believe that Luongo's style of goaltending just dosent work as well as Schneids does.. I mean, with the canucks, who's D-man love to be involved in the offence and love to pinch, Breakaways are common. Luongo is at his absolute best when he plays big, at the top of his crease using his shoulders to stop shots. He is NOT the goalie from 2007 that was an amazing spectacle to watch. Cory, is fast from post to post and is a similar goalie to Quick, and Rinne. Staying postionally sound, while taking away the bottom of the net, with a nice glove hand.

I just feel Luongo needs to be on a team like Phoenix, St.Louis, Nashville, even LA, or Tampa. Teams that take away shots from the slot and let shots from the point come freely. Luongo was his best when we were a trapping team.

No matter what fate shall be laid upon us, every season, we will brush off our shoulders and bleed blue

canucks or bust.

#9 tylernorton

tylernorton

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

OMG we could have signed kopitarz.111!

Posted Image<<<<<<<<<<<Kesler, before his hair and ego got huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

There wasn;t much to choose between Halak and Price...This year the stats are so much in Schneiders favour that you are comparing apples to oranges ! If Lou was not pushed he may not have been as good as he was...but unless Lou fixes whats broke...we will live without a cup.

tell me how much games Schneider has played compared to Luongo this year.

#11 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,415 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

habs suck.

#12 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

how about we just get rid of lui instead?
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#13 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

My Ideal Scenario.

1) Trade Luongo this summer

2) Cory Schneider asks for a trade in a couple years.

3) Lack doesn't have what it takes.

4) Get Ty Conklin as starter.

------

Vancouver doesn't deserve any decent goalie in the league.
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#14 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Actually, without a goaltender pushing him to play good would be bad for him. He will relax when theres no CS breathing down his neck, he will be back to his prima donna attitude because we have no other option to play in net if he craps the bed again.

well have you even thought of the other method? what you say could be true, but it can also end up relieving some unnecessary pressure. If you look at the Luongo/Sabourin or Luongo/Sanford and Luongo/Raycroft years, look at how much better he did without having another Number 1 goalie breathing down his neck.

#15 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

and your point is what twin??

#16 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Have to admit that is a pretty interesting way to look at the whole Luongo vs Schneider thing.

A original post, good job OP!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

habs suck.

At least we cheer in our home arena. And tell me that when you win 24 stanley cups.

#18 wesley

wesley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

OK. So LU needs a bad backup to be able to play better? :lol:

#19 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

So basically you are saying internal competition for playing time is too much for Luongo to handle. HAHAHAHAHA That pretty much defines someone who lacks confidence in their own abilities. Or sees the writing on the wall.

#20 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

well have you even thought of the other method? what you say could be true, but it can also end up relieving some unnecessary pressure. If you look at the Luongo/Sabourin or Luongo/Sanford and Luongo/Raycroft years, look at how much better he did without having another Number 1 goalie breathing down his neck.

All I remember from those years was getting bounced by Chicago in spectacular fashion.

Luongo is a very good player, but Schneider is simply better for now. I think it's stupid to get rid of the more promising player with hopes that the worse player would play better.

Posted Image

#21 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

And remember Luongo being worned out once playoff came??

#22 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

You wanna talk goalie graveyards look at WSH, PHI and TOR they have had many goalies in the last ten years. Van is no better or worse than any other team. The media can go FRAK itself to death with all the negativity we receive. I love both goalies but to say Cory is better than LOU is insane. Lou has won multiple 40 game seasons a gold medal and has a ton of experience. Even Cory would tell you he is no Lou yet. He will maybe even be better but that remains to be seen. Consider how many teams would love to be in the Nucks position with 2 top goalies to chose from ? Who knows maybe the Nucks rock both guys again next year anything can happen.

Edited by vanfan73, 23 April 2012 - 09:40 PM.

2zf729h.jpg

"BiG UP"  to TS for the deadly sig !

#23 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

If you guys wana talk trade value, then most teams would be looking at Schneider rather than Luongo as he is a younger goalie. We would get more in return for Schneids and give Luongo a chance to "steal the spotlight" as he has done before. I remember when analysts used to say "Luongo stole the game for the canucks" almost all the time. I want to hear more of that come next season.

#24 Green Building

Green Building

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

I agree with the sentiment echoed previously by others; you don't trade a goalie because his counterpart might play better, nor do you move hime because the fans need you to make a choice. These are 2 of the worst rationalisations for moving an asset I can think of. The goal is to win a goddamn Cup, not please people. It's simply a coincidence that by winning the Cup people will be pleased.

I need to say that like others, I don't know who will stay or who will go (The Clash), but there's no way that Gillis moves Schneider, or Luongo for that matter, for 2 such cavelier reasons.

Edited by Green Building, 01 October 2012 - 10:02 PM.

#25 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

And remember Luongo being worned out once playoff came??

I'm sorry, I don't know what "worned" means.

#26 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

If you guys wana talk trade value, then most teams would be looking at Schneider rather than Luongo as he is a younger goalie. We would get more in return for Schneids and give Luongo a chance to "steal the spotlight" as he has done before. I remember when analysts used to say "Luongo stole the game for the canucks" almost all the time. I want to hear more of that come next season.

If an appropriate offer for Schneider presents itself, I would not be opposed to making the trade. People get too caught up in fanboyism for individual players.

Posted Image

#27 linden16kesler17

linden16kesler17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Whatever happens I have this terrible fear that it will be the wrong choice.

If MG trades Schneider even if Lu gets his mojo back (not saying he was bad in the playoffs) people will still be watching CS to see him succeed and compare them. Even if he ends up on a team that doesn't get into the playoffs, people will be checking GAA and all that other stuff.

Alternately, if we keep CS and trade Lu (if he requests, which I wouldn't blame him the way he's treated), and Lu does heat up, maybe CS does falter long term, then we're in a worse situation than we are now because we won't have 2 elite goaltenders.

Any choice, I see MG getting flamed by the media and everyone else, it's a possible lose lose situation.

So glad it's not my job because I think both goaltenders are fan-freaking-tastic and I really respect them both.

#28 tylernorton

tylernorton

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

Your so right, your logic is epically sound. It is clear that luongo's goaltending woes are due to the pressure of having competition. I will create a petition to trade schnieder, that will surely solve Lou from always biting on breakawaysh. This new confidence will stop Lou from doing his classic
leg split/fall on face fail. And with schnieder gone he wont lose composure after the D gives up a 2 on 1, go Lou go
Posted Image<<<<<<<<<<<Kesler, before his hair and ego got huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 Canuckz101

Canuckz101

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Actually, I agree he would be a different goalie if he didn't have the pressure of the backup taking his #1 job. This makes a lot of sense OP. Besides, Schneider is too valuable an asset not to move. He could net us a HUGE return.

#30 Canuckz101

Canuckz101

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

OK. So LU needs a bad backup to be able to play better? :lol:

No, just a decent one...not a great one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.