The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Schneider Trade Is Just What The Fans And Luongo Need?

TwinTelepathy

Before I start, I want to say that all the talk with the media about Vancouver being the "goalie graveyard" is total Bull. All Hockey crazed teams have it and huge criticism is present in sports....I'm pretty sure if cities like Toronto and in Montreal (which im going to talk about) had the luxury of goalies with the calibre of Luongo and Schneider, then the fans in those cities would be reacting the same if one of the goalies were to "not be able to perform" to their expectations, if not more in those cities, especially Montreal...... I mean, Reimer/Gustavsson is not exactly Luongo/Schneider LOL.

With all of the Luongo/Schneids talk going on nowadays, I see it being really similar to the situation we had in Montreal (I am a huge Habs fan and Canucks fan as I'm from originally from Montreal). A few years back it wasn't Luongo/Schneider but for us, it was Price/Halak. I remember that year when it was only pre-season that critics were ready to watch Price's every move, to see if he would stop all the pucks shot at him and if even one "bad" goal were to go in, EVERYONE in the bell center would start jeering and make fun of him, yelling at management to trade him (MUCH like that of Vancouver) and Halak (Schneider in this case) was the beloved one of Montreal. Carey Price was so hated at a time that people started making fun of him even in the Pre-season by "mockingly cheering" him when ever Price made an easy save (remember, this was in Pre- Season), causing Price to take shots at the fans with his "Chill out, it's only pre-season rant" (I'm surprised that Luongo didn't do anything like that even once). Halak soon became "the saviour" as there were games when Price choked and Halak basically came to "save the day" and even steal games for them. The goaltending controversy had begun in Montreal.

In the playoffs that year, the underdog Canadiens stunned the NHL when they took out giants like the Capitals and Penguins and Halak (the so-called backup) was the guy that lead the Canadiens to the Conference finals with the Flyers (Schneids played amazing in the first round). Even though the Canadiens lost that round, Montreal was beaming with excitement, making songs about about how Halak was the best goalie (yes, I said making songs), stores selling-out Halak jerseys and people were even saying that this "Halak" would be the second coming of Patrick Roy.

Canadiens fans were absolutely stunned when the management let Halak go to St. Louis (I believe he is the back-up currently) and were left with "having to accept" their "original projected Number 1" (sound like Luongo?) Carey Price. Sure, you can say that the Canadiens haven't been doing well, especially this year, but now, there is NO goaltending controversy in Montreal. In fact, most of the blame from a disappointing season like this (for the Canadiens) wasn't put on the most common target, Price, but rather the management and the leadership. Price actually seems to be doing a LOT better now without Halak and Montreal fans have grown into accepting Price. (Maybe that will be the same case with Luongo and Vancouver won't be a "goalie graveyard")

As much as Schneider lovers wouldn't want Schneids to go, I think you gotta keep Luongo. I think Luongo would do much better if he didn't have to worry about the other goalie outplaying him (I'm not sure about Eddie Lack but he is not as good as Schneider). Canucks fans are truly lucky that they are blessed with two wonderful goalies. Luongo, who lead this team one win away from glory, in my mind, must stay. I don't think the Canucks would be the same without him.

Sorry, but you don't move a goalie like Schneider because you think Luongo might do better without him around.

Unlike the young Price, Luongo hasn't played worse with Schneider around - he has still played very well - it is simply the case that Schneider has slowly and surely earned his equality with Luongo.

As much as Schneider lovers wouldn't want Schneids to go, I think you gotta keep Luongo. I think Luongo would do much better if he didn't have to worry about the other goalie outplaying him (I'm not sure about Eddie Lack but he is not as good as Schneider). Canucks fans are truly lucky that they are blessed with two wonderful goalies. Luongo, who lead this team one win away from glory, in my mind, must stay. I don't think the Canucks would be the same without him.

There wasn;t much to choose between Halak and Price...This year the stats are so much in Schneiders favour that you are comparing apples to oranges ! If Lou was not pushed he may not have been as good as he was...but unless Lou fixes whats broke...we will live without a cup.

I read your post, I remember the Halak era. I just dont think Luongo really beneifts NOT having somebody to steal his job away from him. If anything, it should make him more determined and wanting to perform. I really strongly believe that Luongo's style of goaltending just dosent work as well as Schneids does.. I mean, with the canucks, who's D-man love to be involved in the offence and love to pinch, Breakaways are common. Luongo is at his absolute best when he plays big, at the top of his crease using his shoulders to stop shots. He is NOT the goalie from 2007 that was an amazing spectacle to watch. Cory, is fast from post to post and is a similar goalie to Quick, and Rinne. Staying postionally sound, while taking away the bottom of the net, with a nice glove hand.

I just feel Luongo needs to be on a team like Phoenix, St.Louis, Nashville, even LA, or Tampa. Teams that take away shots from the slot and let shots from the point come freely. Luongo was his best when we were a trapping team.

There wasn;t much to choose between Halak and Price...This year the stats are so much in Schneiders favour that you are comparing apples to oranges ! If Lou was not pushed he may not have been as good as he was...but unless Lou fixes whats broke...we will live without a cup.

well have you even thought of the other method? what you say could be true, but it can also end up relieving some unnecessary pressure. If you look at the Luongo/Sabourin or Luongo/Sanford and Luongo/Raycroft years, look at how much better he did without having another Number 1 goalie breathing down his neck.

Archived