The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Schneider Trade Is Just What The Fans And Luongo Need?

TwinTelepathy

well have you even thought of the other method? what you say could be true, but it can also end up relieving some unnecessary pressure. If you look at the Luongo/Sabourin or Luongo/Sanford and Luongo/Raycroft years, look at how much better he did without having another Number 1 goalie breathing down his neck.

You wanna talk goalie graveyards look at WSH, PHI and TOR they have had many goalies in the last ten years. Van is no better or worse than any other team. The media can go FRAK itself to death with all the negativity we receive. I love both goalies but to say Cory is better than LOU is insane. Lou has won multiple 40 game seasons a gold medal and has a ton of experience. Even Cory would tell you he is no Lou yet. He will maybe even be better but that remains to be seen. Consider how many teams would love to be in the Nucks position with 2 top goalies to chose from ? Who knows maybe the Nucks rock both guys again next year anything can happen.

If you guys wana talk trade value, then most teams would be looking at Schneider rather than Luongo as he is a younger goalie. We would get more in return for Schneids and give Luongo a chance to "steal the spotlight" as he has done before. I remember when analysts used to say "Luongo stole the game for the canucks" almost all the time. I want to hear more of that come next season.

I agree with the sentiment echoed previously by others; you don't trade a goalie because his counterpart might play better, nor do you move hime because the fans need you to make a choice. These are 2 of the worst rationalisations for moving an asset I can think of. The goal is to win a goddamn Cup, not please people. It's simply a coincidence that by winning the Cup people will be pleased.

I need to say that like others, I don't know who will stay or who will go (The Clash), but there's no way that Gillis moves Schneider, or Luongo for that matter, for 2 such cavelier reasons.

If you guys wana talk trade value, then most teams would be looking at Schneider rather than Luongo as he is a younger goalie. We would get more in return for Schneids and give Luongo a chance to "steal the spotlight" as he has done before. I remember when analysts used to say "Luongo stole the game for the canucks" almost all the time. I want to hear more of that come next season.

Whatever happens I have this terrible fear that it will be the wrong choice.

If MG trades Schneider even if Lu gets his mojo back (not saying he was bad in the playoffs) people will still be watching CS to see him succeed and compare them. Even if he ends up on a team that doesn't get into the playoffs, people will be checking GAA and all that other stuff.

Alternately, if we keep CS and trade Lu (if he requests, which I wouldn't blame him the way he's treated), and Lu does heat up, maybe CS does falter long term, then we're in a worse situation than we are now because we won't have 2 elite goaltenders.

Any choice, I see MG getting flamed by the media and everyone else, it's a possible lose lose situation.

So glad it's not my job because I think both goaltenders are fan-freaking-tastic and I really respect them both.

Your so right, your logic is epically sound. It is clear that luongo's goaltending woes are due to the pressure of having competition. I will create a petition to trade schnieder, that will surely solve Lou from always biting on breakawaysh. This new confidence will stop Lou from doing his classic

leg split/fall on face fail. And with schnieder gone he wont lose composure after the D gives up a 2 on 1, go Lou go

well have you even thought of the other method? what you say could be true, but it can also end up relieving some unnecessary pressure. If you look at the Luongo/Sabourin or Luongo/Sanford and Luongo/Raycroft years, look at how much better he did without having another Number 1 goalie breathing down his neck.

I read your post, I remember the Halak era. I just dont think Luongo really beneifts NOT having somebody to steal his job away from him. If anything, it should make him more determined and wanting to perform. I really strongly believe that Luongo's style of goaltending just dosent work as well as Schneids does.. I mean, with the canucks, who's D-man love to be involved in the offence and love to pinch, Breakaways are common. Luongo is at his absolute best when he plays big, at the top of his crease using his shoulders to stop shots. He is NOT the goalie from 2007 that was an amazing spectacle to watch. Cory, is fast from post to post and is a similar goalie to Quick, and Rinne. Staying postionally sound, while taking away the bottom of the net, with a nice glove hand.

I just feel Luongo needs to be on a team like Phoenix, St.Louis, Nashville, even LA, or Tampa. Teams that take away shots from the slot and let shots from the point come freely. Luongo was his best when we were a trapping team.

My Ideal Scenario.

1) Trade Luongo this summer

2) Cory Schneider asks for a trade in a couple years.

3) Lack doesn't have what it takes.

4) Get Ty Conklin as starter.

------

Vancouver doesn't deserve any decent goalie in the league.

Spoken like a true fan.

This is a business and the players are assets. Love Lu or hate him there is a season to everything. Luy had his time in the sun here and didn't get it done. The organization has spent 6 years grooming Cory to be a #1 and he is showing signs of being an all-star goalie.

It's also a good long-term move to move Lu now while he has good value. He has maybe 2-3 good years left (based on most goalies and knowing he has had some injuries) whereas Cory has likely 10.

Lu will be more appreicated in a market desparate for a solid starting goalie. It's Cory's turn to carry the team.

Spoken like a true fan.

This is a business and the players are assets. Love Lu or hate him there is a season to everything. Luy had his time in the sun here and didn't get it done. The organization has spent 6 years grooming Cory to be a #1 and he is showing signs of being an all-star goalie.

It's also a good long-term move to move Lu now while he has good value. He has maybe 2-3 good years left (based on most goalies and knowing he has had some injuries) whereas Cory has likely 10.

Lu will be more appreicated in a market desparate for a solid starting goalie. It's Cory's turn to carry the team.

Archived