The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vigneault's Trickle Down Effect

DING

In my humble opinion I think that MG will keep AV, Kes, Salo, Ballard, Bieksa, Malhotra, Bitz, Luongo, Alberts, and Rome will all be moved at some point during the off season, there are not to many coaches of AV's caliber out there, and it is obvious that this team needs a shake up. Of course this is just my best guess based upon what i have seen this year combined with 18 years of playing, coaching, and reffing. Hank can't be the captain, this guy is way to soft, your captain has to be a leader in all areas of the game not just in goals and assists, for example Trevor Linden, Mark Messier, Erik Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, Sydney Crosby, i could go on. Hank does not posses the qualities required of an NHL captain.

I would rather see Burrows or Lapy as captain, someone who shows up every night to play, and that shows up in other areas of the game besides the score card, after all this is a multi faceted game!

Pretty much it.Lu will most likely split now,Raymond needs to go least have to fight for a job and show he will go to the net next training camp.On the fence with manny if he can get back to form or not..

I'd be happy to see AV replaced he's a good coach but a defense style coach only.We have to many offensive style players for that to work.Bring in a coach that loves to have goals scored first of all.Everyone in the league says we have some of the best D at jumping up in the play.Lets go with it and give Booth a full year and everyone else a year with the same line mates and see how they do.I think just the final point would make a huge improvement in goal scoring under pressure.

Too many offensive players? Is that why we can't score enough goals to win a 1-2 game?

The problem is not AV. There are assistant coaches too who are in charge of the PP etc....you can't just put the blame on AV.

It doesn't matter who the head coach is, eg. if the Sedin's and Booth are going to stand in front of our goal and collectively cannot contain Richards then we will not win many games with players playing only offense. Now that is ....offensive.

I was really P.O.'ed at AV's post-series comments. He had nothing to say but the equivalent of Bertuzzi's 'It is what it is; what am I going to do about it?'

There was no meat at all in what he had to say, and it's because if he said anything meaningful, it could only reflect poorly on himself.

We do have plenty of good players; I think MG has to get rid of the coach - 'shelf life' has expired.

Not sure it's the right thing, but I don't think he has a choice at this time.

I really don't know who it would be, but surely someone a wee bit more animated behind the bench would be better than AV's laissez-faire demeanor. Crawford, anyone?

Yep. Coaching has never been the problem.

Gillis just hinted that AV will probably helm the bench, upon finding out what his own his future holds with ownership.

Sorry...you dont make sweeping changes for a team this good, even though the last part and the first round were incredibly underwhelming.

There is nothing wrong with this team, there was nothing wrong with last years team. We have good players, they just don't play to their potential. You don't win back to back president's trophies with bad teams or bad coaching. Last year we lost one game: game 7 and that's why we lost the cup, this year nobody showed up. Luo was good, Shnieds was great, everyone else was crap. Unless you think we should trade away the core then there is nothing to do besides hope that the team plays to its potential.

In my humble opinion I think that MG will keep AV, Kes, Salo, Ballard, Bieksa, Malhotra, Bitz, Luongo, Alberts, and Rome will all be moved at some point during the off season, there are not to many coaches of AV's caliber out there, and it is obvious that this team needs a shake up. Of course this is just my best guess based upon what i have seen this year combined with 18 years of playing, coaching, and reffing. Hank can't be the captain, this guy is way to soft, your captain has to be a leader in all areas of the game not just in goals and assists, for example Trevor Linden, Mark Messier, Erik Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, Sydney Crosby, i could go on. Hank does not posses the qualities required of an NHL captain.

I would rather see Burrows or Lapy as captain, someone who shows up every night to play, and that shows up in other areas of the game besides the score card, after all this is a multi faceted game!

Ok Baggins, so are you saying that erik staal, Crosby and Trevor Linden among others were poor captains?

I am not refuting Hank and Danny's natural talents as pure goal scorers and outstanding team mates.

I guess with how poorly the rest of the team played that the 5 points that Hank got looks pretty good to you. As a former Midget Rep coach i can tell you that a player like Hank is invaluable, a huge part of a team, however if you want to be captain you have to do more than score goals!

Throw some big hits, the odd scrap, question some team mates motives and effort, and lift your team when they are down. I am sorry but i did not see that from Hank this year or in the play offs!

The lack of mojo from this team and all the talent we have is disturbing!!!!!

AV will probably stay but I want all of his assistant's heads to roll. Bowness did a terrible job managing the defence, who were gambling too often, playing a stupid free-wheeling style of hockey and were victimized for being out of position against the league's 2nd worst offence. Our goalies made our defence look much better than it really is, and we have some great pieces on the blueline minus one big physical defenceman, so it all comes down to defensive coaching.

Bowness has to go.

Then there's Newell Brown who has done a good job of the PK, but has to go because this powerplay cannot sink as low as it did in the regular season. From 1st overall to 27th after the half-way mark of the season, you can't have a 10% powerplay with the 2 best playmakers in the world. This guy has probably the best pieces in the league to work with on the powerplay and still can't get anything done.

Brown has to go.

Gillis' most critical call this season isn't going to be which goalie he trades, what he does with Pahlsson, Booth, Kesler, or Salo.

It's going to be whether or not he retains our longtime bench boss, Alain Vigneault. Everything depends on it.

Great post.

A lot of people don't seem to realize the influence a coach has on the players. AV has gambled with certain players and lost, and had success with others.

I think we're dead in the water if he stays as we'll likely be icing a very similar team/very similar style and continue to bang our head against the failures.

Hamhuis I wouldn't argue about because the guy plays a consistent two-way game and obviously has excellent hockey smarts: a defacto top two guy.

Alex "50 point" Edler on the other hand is not so reliable. Looking at the stat sheet (and not the +\- column as it is a real-time stat and hardly tells the full story), Edler is an all-star top-tier defenceman. Watching him play however, really does not convince me that the top-four spot should be his alone. Please don't lump me in with the knee-jerk reaction twits who ask for someone to be traded after a lousy playoff performance, I'm not one of them. I believe that Edler played sub-par all season and that the majority of his points came from secondary assists and a whole schwack load of Swedish luck. I know he is offensively talented, but like others had said of Ehrhoff, is he irreplaceable? I am curious to find out.

As the OP was hinting at, a change in bench boss (and/or assistants) means a possible change in systems and certain personnel could find themselves higher in the depth chart due to style of play. It's all hypothetical of course but stranger things have happened.

Great post.

A lot of people don't seem to realize the influence a coach has on the players. AV has gambled with certain players and lost, and had success with others.

I think we're dead in the water if he stays as we'll likely be icing a very similar team/very similar style and continue to bang our head against the failures.

I really don't get this....by the numbers our penalty kill and goals against are pretty low. Our problem in the last three months is we couldnt score. Our D core of hamhuis, bieksa, edler and so on is pretty damn good. What we lack is a pure goal scorer who can turn the momentum of a game. The best offensive D man in the league scores what...20 goals? We have lots of 20 goal scorers...what we need is a 40 g plus guy.

The sedins are all we have.....booth and kesler accounted for 38 goals last year....thats almost 10 million dollars worth of hockey player. Nash's 7.2 doesnt look so bad.......takes up one roster spot and can literally win a game on his own.

Av is a very good coach, his record speaks for its self. I would say that AV's part of this team losing was he reluctance to adapt his coaching style to not only the way the Kings were playing but also to the type of players given to him by MG.

The rest lies on the players them selves, they are adults (very high paid ones) and are also responsible for how they play (effort, grit, goals, assists, and so on) I did not see a lot of accountability from this

team. Part of that you could put on Hank. He as well as AV needed to do a better job of motivating this team, and that is not to say that the team losing was totaly tier fault, after all this is a team game!

Archived