The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 Major Deals And 2 Ufa Signings

I actually like Edler a lot but unfortunately you have to give to get so..

1st trade:

To Pittsburgh: Edler, 3rd 2012

To Vancouver: Staal

2nd trade:

To Toronto: Kesler, Raymond's rights

To Vancouver: Gardiner, 5th overall pick 2012

3rd trade:

To Tampa Bay : Luongo

To Vancouver: Brett Connolly, (DET) 1st 2012

Sign Justin Shultz

Sign Zach Parise

So out: Edler, Kesler, Raymond, Luongo, 3rd 2013,

And in: Parise, Shultz, Staal, Gardiner, Brett Conolly, 1st 2012 (5th), 1st 2012 (DET)

Play Salo with Shultz for one year and then re-unite friends and previous linemates Shultz and Gardiner

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Zach Parise ($6.500m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.613m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Sami Salo ($1.500m) / Justin Shultz ($2.000m)

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,659,167; BONUSES: $212,500

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $4,640,833

1st trade:

2nd trade:

3rd trade:

Sign Justin Shultz

Sign Zach Parise

And in: Parise, Shultz, Staal, Gardiner, Brett Conolly, 1st 2012 (5th), 1st 2012 (DET)

Play Salo with Shultz for one year and then re-unite friends and previous linemates Shultz and Gardiner

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

The Defence is a bit unpredictable with Ballard,Tanev,Shultz and Gardiner but maybe worth the gamble.........Booth seems like a nice guy and all but him and his cap hit need to go any way possible.......also Connolly and the 5th overall pick will likely be ready to play next season.....

Would be a fun team to watch for sure.........

This is the best proposal I have seen that allows us to stock up on some GREAT young talent for now and the future AND keep Schneider (our top trading asset). Imagine who we could get with that 5th pick from Toronto....I'm thinking Filip Forsberg. Wow! add him to the mix and this is one very dynamic and exciting team going forward. Good job Easton76...I am impressed. MG I hope you're reading this.

The Defence is a bit unpredictable with Ballard,Tanev,Shultz and Gardiner but maybe worth the gamble.........Booth seems like a nice guy and all but him and his cap hit need to go any way possible.......also Connolly and the 5th overall pick will likely be ready to play next season.....

Would be a fun team to watch for sure.........

im gonna give you props this is a very realistic trade scenario. i know this team needs a big shake up but i seriously doubt that kesler and edler are gonna get traded although i would love to get staal from pit, instead of edler i would much rather see bieksa go. second shultz and parise are not guaranteed, they can sign with any team they want. parise can ask for upwards of 7 mill and shultz can hold out for a team where he will be guranteed to play in the top 4. still this is pretty realistic, good job if this did happen i wouldnt be upset at all.

im gonna give you props this is a very realistic trade scenario. i know this team needs a big shake up but i seriously doubt that kesler and edler are gonna get traded although i would love to get staal from pit, instead of edler i would much rather see bieksa go. second shultz and parise are not guaranteed, they can sign with any team they want. parise can ask for upwards of 7 mill and shultz can hold out for a team where he will be guranteed to play in the top 4. still this is pretty realistic, good job if this did happen i wouldnt be upset at all.

I don't hate the any of the trades from a Canucks' perspective, but I'm skeptical that any of them would actually occur for various reasons.

Pittsburg already has a number of guys locked up on their defense for several years, and perhaps other than Martin, they all work cheaper than what Edler will likely want in his next contract (in one year's time). I don't see $5 million as being an unreasonable amount for him to ask. And on the subject of money, I suspect that Staal will likely demand more than $5 million when his contract is up in a year. In your scenario, I suppose they would have the space to be able to sign him. In any event, I suspect that Pittsburg could get more than Edler for Staal. And they are one head shot away from being down a center, so there might be a certain amount of reluctance on their part to trade Staal.

The Toronto trade has issues of personality to contend with in Gillis and Burke, so that might make it a non-starter right there. And while Toronto could really use Kesler, I suspect that Burke does not want to part with Gardiner and a 5th overall pick to get him. Toronto is also getting a big cap hit (over $3 million) and I suspect they would want to send an additional contract back to the Canucks. In any event, I don't like the deal in that Gardiner is kind of on the smallish side. If you were going to trade Kesler, then why not try to send him (and Ballard?) to Colombus for Jack Johnson and a pick, and likely an additional contract to help balance the cap hit?

Assuming Luongo waives his NTC to go to TB, and assuming that TB does actually want him, I believe that Yzerman will say that he is being asked to pay far too much in your deal. He's being asked to take on a load of extra cap hit, trade away a 10th overall pick AND a very good prospect in Connolly for a goalie who may play for perhaps, at most, another 5 years. I don't see Yzerman agreeing to this. It would be nice if he did, but I don't see it happening.

I'm assuming that Parise's deal would be one of those crazy front-loaded contracts, but what would be the length of term? Just $6.5 million per season would not be enough to sign him. I suspect that there is someone out there that would gladly pay him $7 million per season.

Connolly could probably be tried on the 2nd line, which makes Booth expendable. He could then be traded, somewhere, for a d-man and/or you could then use some of the now over $8 million in space to sign Suter. This would shore up the defense rather nicely. Further, assuming you did get Suter, then Ballard (assuming he hasn't already been traded for Johnson) could possibly be moved, freeing up additional cap space. In return, perhaps the Canucks could acquire some additional bottom-6 depth. Kassian might even be sent to Chicago to get more playing time.

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($6.500m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m) / Brett Connolly ($1.633m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.613m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Jack Johnson ($4.357m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,908,476; BONUSES: $750,000

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,391,524

The big problem is: what do you do the next year when you have to re-sign Staal, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen and Lapierre?

regards,

G.

That defence will get ripped apart in the playoffs, sorry. Edler is a great defenceman, he just had 5 bad games. The sky's the limit for this guy, who will probably have another 50-ish point season next year and be much better after a long off-season so we should at least keep him.

Shultz and Gardiner in exchange for Edler is a bad changeup on the blueline - if anything we need to improve on what we already have because it's not much, and Edler is not the only problem back there.

As for goalies, I don't like how everyone is suggesting to trade Luongo. Schneider is NOT ready for 50-60 games in the NHL let alone any more, and Eddie Lack cannot play anywhere close to 20 games. The only reason Schneider's numbers were so good was because he was spotted games - the only time he played 7 consecutive games he was down-right brutal and got blown out. This guy is still a kid and we can't expect him to start for us just because he's played well in a few select games. Luongo is the true professional on the other hand - he understands the grind better than any goalie in the league, so don't let 3 playoff starts fool you fans. MG is not stupid enough to trust his team's hopes on Schneider just yet.

On first look, looks great as a whole!

1) Possible hickups; does Pitt need a defender like Edler?

2) Why give Kesler away. Should get more value!

3) Who plays the big mean bastard we need on our top line, and ditto for who plays a big mean defender.

1st trade:

2nd trade:

3rd trade:

Sign Justin Shultz

Sign Zach Parise

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Jake Gardiner ($1.117m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.660m)

i'd rather get rid of bieksa instead of edler. Edler does have potential even if he didn't play well in the playoffs I still believe in him but Bieksa is just a turnover machine. Only reason he's looking good is because Hammer bails him out for all of his mistakes. Remember when Hammer was out, Bieksa started to play like crap...Rather trade Bieksa than Edler

That defence will get ripped apart in the playoffs, sorry. Edler is a great defenceman, he just had 5 bad games. The sky's the limit for this guy, who will probably have another 50-ish point season next year and be much better after a long off-season so we should at least keep him.

Shultz and Gardiner in exchange for Edler is a bad changeup on the blueline - if anything we need to improve on what we already have because it's not much, and Edler is not the only problem back there.

As for goalies, I don't like how everyone is suggesting to trade Luongo. Schneider is NOT ready for 50-60 games in the NHL let alone any more, and Eddie Lack cannot play anywhere close to 20 games. The only reason Schneider's numbers were so good was because he was spotted games - the only time he played 7 consecutive games he was down-right brutal and got blown out. This guy is still a kid and we can't expect him to start for us just because he's played well in a few select games. Luongo is the true professional on the other hand - he understands the grind better than any goalie in the league, so don't let 3 playoff starts fool you fans. MG is not stupid enough to trust his team's hopes on Schneider just yet.

Archived