#1 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
#Canucks centre Kesler may need surgery for suspected shoulder injury.

We are aware that Ryan Kesler was sitting in his stall after the horror of it all. Whether it was for one minute, five or as many as 10 before he shuffled to the players' lounge in obvious disgust didn't matter on solemn Sunday. And when he was hard to find after the captain had been questioned, it was symbolic.

Like his teammates, Kesler was just as hard to find on the ice during a stunning five-game exit by the Presidents' Trophy winners and you have to wonder if it was more than ongoing hip pain that made it hard for the centre to shoulder responsibility. And it's not so much that the reigning Selke Trophy winner — who isn't a finalist this season — managed but three assists against the Los Angeles Kings in the one-sided series and went without a goal in his final 17 games. It's the manner is which the Vancouver Canucks approached a season that would tax the collective resolve to clear the mental hurdle of a short summer and then make sure the head was as fit as the body for a long trek back to the final.

The results were mixed because in the end they weren't the swagger-filled Canucks of last spring.

In Kesler's case, you can argue through stubbornness that he never got the proper start after returning weeks early from a July 25 hip procedure and would simply suck up any additional pain. And there's reason to believe through body language and ineffectiveness that he may have been hiding a shoulder ailment. He never adjusted a game that had deteriorated from that memorable second-round Nashville series in which he figured in 11 of the team's 14 goals. There was no Beast-Mode this season. There was Beaten-Down-Mode.

Kesler's stride would come and go through soreness in his hip flexor. He couldn't out-skate or out-battle defenders and that wrist shot that packed velocity and accuracy went away when he planted his skate and there was a tug at the hip. A career 41 goals last season turned into 22 goals and turned the attention on how one of the game's best two-way players had been reduced to a shutdown solution rather than an offensive option. The acquisition of Samme Pahlsson at the trade deadline was supposed to free up that offence.

Kesler had 17 points in a 15-game span in December, scored in five-consecutive games from Jan. 31 to Feb. 9 and then went eight without a goal. That would suggest something went wonky physically at that point beyond the hip.

"It's still an ongoing thing — it still tightens up," Kesler said before the playoffs. "They [surgeons] tightened up the front of the hip capsule so much that you get some pain. The hip flexor almost pulls the femoral head forward and gives you a problem. It's all rotating and that's usually my plant leg and it took me a while to get my shot back and feel comfortable and I'm still working on it. It's going to be a never-ending process."

You also wonder if there was something else bugging Kesler because if his shot went away and he was getting less effective in the face-off circle, it would point to the shoulder because his game became more about positioning than battling. Dial back his goal funk and he hasn't scored since March 14, so it's only natural to wonder if by the very nature of his game that he banged up a shoulder in February or March and just tried to play through pain. And if it was that bad that he became a shadow of his former self, then surgery might be on the horizon.

It even got to the point where Alain Vigneault publicly challenged Kesler from the coach's podium to use his wingers more, as if to send a subtle message that putting the blinders on and trying to bolt through a number of defenders was a waste of energy and effectiveness. And because Kesler is wired to lead rather than follow, it only hampered his game. Rather than attracting defenders and dishing pucks off to his wingers, he still had that bull-in-a-china-shop mentality. You admire it but then understand why the Canucks went into defence mode and must wonder when their gung-ho centre, who has four more years at $5 million US annually, will finally escape the injury bug and surgeon's scalpel.

Without Daniel Sedin for the final nine games of the regular season and first three of the playoffs and with Kesler ineffective and too many bagels across the board — David Booth no playoff goals and one in his last 16 games, Mason Raymond no playoff goals and one in his last dozen games and nothing for Chris Higgins in the postseason — there really was no offence. When Daniel Sedin offered up a post-series assessment Sunday about not trading chances with the 29th-ranked offence, it either spoke of the reality of the situation or a suggestion that the Canucks are longing for an attacking style.

"We didn't give up much and you can't run and gun with them [Kings] or they're going to kill you," said the winger. "We got our fair share of chances to win the game. It's shocking. The way we felt lately, we thought we had a good shot to get to Game 7."

Not with a pop-gun attack and not without their best players able to compete at an optimum level.

For Kesler the final summation was simple: The mind was willing. The body wasn't.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1syKiUMtd

Edited by Kack Zassian, 24 April 2012 - 08:30 AM.

#2 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

Wouldn't surprise me.
Posted Image

#3 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

It seems like after every playoff his getting surgery done he has no luck.
http://Posted Image

#4 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

Why is it that Kesler never admits to being injured before we get ousted? Let's hope that this either isn't true, or it doesn't keep him out for long so he can get his full training camp done over the summer.

#5 CodyHodgson's #1fan

CodyHodgson's #1fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

If he does need surgery then I hope get gets it right away, unlike last year when they waited and waited so he couldnt atten the training camp or teh beginning of the year which set him back.
Always will love and support Cody Hodgson, great player, great potential great character, and I don't care about those stupid rumours about the trade. And we lost him, what a dissapointment. Love you COHO, forever a canuck in my heart!

One day Luongo will raise Lord Stanley's cup.
And show all those haters that he is the amazing goalie that he is.
No matter what jersey he wears, I will always be cheering for Luongo.

Forever Believe.

#6 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

There has been some speculation that he hadn't fully recovered when he first returned to the lineup this season. The team did not need to rush him back. If he injured his shoulder recently, it still does not explain why he has been supbar this entire year. Hopefully he spends the summer recovering and refining his game.

Fans want to see an inspired Kesler, and the team needs him to return to form. If he needs the time to recover, they should give him however much time as he requires. If his game does not change next year, then we'll know that this year's disappointment has been more than a mere anomoly.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 08:36 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#7 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Dang, another surgery. I hope he can still have a summer and come back next year all healed up.

Posted Image

#8 lappykass

lappykass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

It would make me not so upset with our secondary scoring, but I hope he dosent need surgery for it

No matter what fate shall be laid upon us, every season, we will brush off our shoulders and bleed blue

canucks or bust.

#9 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

POPULAR

'May' have a shoulder injury.

'May' require surgery.

'May' be totally false.

If this wasn't an article from a local paper, this thread would be locked up quickly. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#10 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hopefully he heals and this puts an end to the trade Kesler talk we have seen these past few weeks...

#11 Kack Zassian

Kack Zassian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

'May' have a shoulder injury.

'May' require surgery.

'May' be totally false.

If this wasn't an article from a local paper, this thread would be locked up quickly. Cheers.

TOML

Kuzma is pretty reliable.

Its pretty evident Kesler has been injured, and the "may" need surgery probably comes from the fact that surgery isn't the ideal situation. They are probably seeing how it does on its own before deciding on surgery.

#12 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I still feel his disappointing season should not be attributed solely to this injury. He has been dreadful for much of the year. I don't think recovering from this injury will miraculously make him a different player unless he has had this injury all season. He needs to work harder and realize what is necessary for him to be effective again.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 08:42 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#13 Burnsey

Burnsey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

if this is true, then lets hope he gets surgery sooner rather than later and for crying out dont rush back. It was great to see him come back early at the beginning of the season but maybe we should have made him sit out for another few weeks. He obviously wasn't 100% and maybe that extra couple of weeks would have helped wonders in the long run.
Posted Image

#14 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

This is nothing but speculation. The only insightful detail in the article is Kesler's ongoing hip issues, which we all kind of figured he came back too early from.

#15 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'd be pissed at Kesler if he had shoulder problems prior to trade deadline and didn't tell the team. It might have made MG make some different moves for veteran depth in case Kesler couldn't play.

Kesler has to change his game otherwise he'll retire early with a broken body.

#16 keslercrosby

keslercrosby

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

kesler will go downhill..
package him for staal, getzlaf or weber

#17 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

Apparantly he injured his shoulder in February. If true...we should have kept Hodgson as insurance.

#18 HorseGem2007

HorseGem2007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sure .... rub it in OP ... 2 days after we got eliminated from first round playoffs ... now to hear that ONE of my favorite player has to undergo surgery ... again !!!
Damn !

Not sure if we'll ever see the same Kesler we once had from his Trophy winning year.

Adds to the interesting off season ahead :) :
- AV is gone or not, will Gillis fire him ?
- who will we keep in net ? LU or Scheids ?
- Draft day ... who will we pick and any blockbuster trade on that day from the Canucks ?

Again repeating myself from another post .... can't wait now for training camp and see who will make up the 2012-13 line up.
" OnceUgotItUpKeepItUp "

Burr Kes Higgy
#14 #17 #20

YOU CAN PLAY ... Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect: http://youcanplayproject.org/

#19 vannuxforlife

vannuxforlife

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

IF Kesler has to get surgery I hope he gets it quickly and starts the recovery process so he can have all summer to train. It was obvious this year he needed it and I hope he doesn't miss it next summer. We need him firing on all cylinders next season.

#20 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

I expect Kesler to be much-improved next season. He needs the full training program.
Posted Image

#21 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

IF Kesler was playing injured, he should not have been getting the minutes he had been.

COMPLETE mismanagement of on of our franchise players and the blame will lie solely on AV.

Makes the Hodgson trade look even more ridiculous.

#22 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Why is it that Kesler never admits to being injured before we get ousted? Let's hope that this either isn't true, or it doesn't keep him out for long so he can get his full training camp done over the summer.

No player or team admits to an injury if a player is still able to be on the ice. Automatically that puts a big target on the player and where to hit them. It's somewhat good to hear that maybe his poor showing this year is based on his shoulder, and not that he never recovred from hip surgery.

#23 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Kesler needs to change his attitude too. There is not need for prima donas in the dressing room.
Life is short, LIVE IT

#24 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Kesler is like the old time hockey players, who played on one leg if they had to without any complaint. Just another reason to admire him once again. Not that it's right to ignore your injuries of course, as it does haunt you for many, many years to come. But it does show his dedication to the fans and his team.
I got nailed by a boat trailer fender in the calf at 30 mph, and almost lost my leg. But did that stop me from waterskiing on one leg 15 minutes later? Hell No. I was young, dumb, and dying to waterski. Just one example from my life of how I denied what was happening to me. Now I listen to my body.

Edited by Hotdawg, 24 April 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#25 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

brain surgery might be more appropriate, don't know what the **** he was thinking sometimes.

#26 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Because should he do that the opposition will just give him extra attention knowing that he's hurt.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

Another surgery.... :/ Another excuse....:/ Sigh Sami hasn't even been hurt all that much this year...TRADES anyone! lol

#28 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hopefully the long offseason will help him get healthy and rested, and he can come back strong next year.

#29 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

WW: I couldn't disagree more. Hip surgery, then a shoulder injury that possibly requires surgery will definitely play a role in production and impact a player's success Skating, shooting, checking will all be affected by these injuries, so it's too bad for us. I wouldn't discount these things in hampering Kes on ice.

Kes is a very talented player and I wouldn't slough off the injuries so quickly...you're underestimating him and, when healthy, he really does make a difference.

Kes' attitude is also what gives him that edge...I honestly don't want him to change a thing in relation to his snarl/confidence.

Kes is a warrior and I told people I suspected something wrong with him when his production slid. I admire him for battling despite this....

In following up/reading more, LOL at those of you saying "surgery = excuse". Of course it's a valid reason to explain deficiencies and dropped production. Give your head(s) a shake.

Posted Image

#30 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Cuz he did that a few years ago after losing to Chicago and the media ripped him for coming up with excuses.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.