The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

Strombone1

LOL no one ran him off, he is simply done here ... real pros dont worry about fans. He wants to be in Tampa and Cory fits the canucks...hopefully we dont sign him for more then a 3 year contract...those long contracts seems to breed complacent players.

I agree, Luo did do well here, but seemed to get alot slower this year....Cory is the man.

Right, so they did better than that squad once.

And again, you illiterate fools, I didn't say that this squad isn't better. I said that prior to Luongo showing up, we weren't battling just to make the playoffs. We weren't getting by the second round, but we weren't battling just to make the playoffs. People make it seem like Luongo saved a dying franchise when that just isn't the case at all. We'll be fine without him, and probably better.

Fans didnt pull Lu for the remainder of the playoffs , Av did. Whos stays and who goes? I say It depends on your return. I love both goalies but I'm about the cup now. Anything it takes. We should go with one goalie and trade the other for a high end prospect and a decent right handed Dman.

I seriously cant believe it has come to this. I remember when we traded for Lu, that first year we had him. It was like a huge party all year long. Songs were made about him, the lu chant. It was definitely a great time. I really hope he doesnt go, but it seems like the only thing to do at this point.

Luongo is a great netminder, but he clearly can't get the big job done.

I'll take a consistently fair to good goalie over one that gets you to the big dance but cant deliver the goods becuase he is a head case under consistent pressure.

So it goes with Luongo. Whereas I appreciate his time and efforts here, It's clearly time for someone new as Luongo wants out anyway.

I do not know that Cory is that player, but he did a great job those last 3 games, and it was our inability to score that did us in.

2.9 goals per game season average does not spell Cup win in any league.

If we trade a player 2 years into a 12 year contract it's going to make our organization look like a complete joke.

Players around the league will not sign with us because because management will be showing that it has no loyalty to its players.

If you don't think this is true, just watch and see if it happens. It will also leave our current players wondering if they should re-sign here too. And might even make them reconsider taking discounts.

Yep. People seem to remember the WCE days as some sort of awesome run of years, when really we were only a cup contending team for maybe 3 seasons.

I've been a fan since long before the WCE days, through the dark Keenan years that we dare not speak of. And I'm sure there's plenty of fans on here that have been there since the begining and remember what it's like to miss the playoffs year in and year out and not get any better.

Here is why I don't think Luongo is going anywhere:

No one wants his contract. How are you going to convince someone not only to take him for free, but to trade valuable players in return with the monster contract that you guys gave him? Especially when any team that needs a goalie could just offer Schneider a large (but much less daunting) contract via offer sheet that you would not be able to match? Then boom, all of a sudden that team that was looking for a goalie has one that is cheaper, younger, and potentially even better than Luongo.

Now, in the case of an offer sheet to Schneider, the Canucks would have an oppertunity to match it. But, considering very few teams out there (none?) would rather have Luongo and his contract (plus players going the other way) than Schneider (without having to trade anyone), you will not be able to move Luongo until Schneider is off the market because teams seeking a goalie would first go for Schneider, but then that becomes a huge risk for the Canucks organization because how do they sign another number one goaltender big bucks and dedicate around $10 million in cap space to goaltending alone? What if they weren't able to get rid of Luongo? Also, Schneider said in his year-end interview that he thinks it's time to start thinking about himself and his career, and that he believes he deserves a legitimate shot as a number one goaltender. So, if you are unable to trade Luongo (which I believe will be the case), can you offer him that?

Teams would rather have Schneider long-term, because of his age, his price, and his potential. No one wants Luongo long term, because of his ridiculous contract, he's older, and his history of questionable playoff performances. So, you're not going to move Luongo while Schneider is an option for other teams, and without moving Luongo, you're not going to be able to keep Schneider. So it's a catch 22.

The off-season is going to be interesting...

Here is why I don't think Luongo is going anywhere:

No one wants his contract. How are you going to convince someone not only to take him for free, but to trade valuable players in return with the monster contract that you guys gave him? Especially when any team that needs a goalie could just offer Schneider a large (but much less daunting) contract via offer sheet that you would not be able to match? Then boom, all of a sudden that team that was looking for a goalie has one that is cheaper, younger, and potentially even better than Luongo.

Now, in the case of an offer sheet to Schneider, the Canucks would have an oppertunity to match it. But, considering very few teams out there (none?) would rather have Luongo and his contract (plus players going the other way) than Schneider (without having to trade anyone), you will not be able to move Luongo until Schneider is off the market because teams seeking a goalie would first go for Schneider, but then that becomes a huge risk for the Canucks organization because how do they sign another number one goaltender big bucks and dedicate around $10 million in cap space to goaltending alone? What if they weren't able to get rid of Luongo? Also, Schneider said in his year-end interview that he thinks it's time to start thinking about himself and his career, and that he believes he deserves a legitimate shot as a number one goaltender. So, if you are unable to trade Luongo (which I believe will be the case), can you offer him that?

Teams would rather have Schneider long-term, because of his age, his price, and his potential. No one wants Luongo long term, because of his ridiculous contract, he's older, and his history of questionable playoff performances. So, you're not going to move Luongo while Schneider is an option for other teams, and without moving Luongo, you're not going to be able to keep Schneider. So it's a catch 22.

The off-season is going to be interesting...

Guest gumballthechewy

We should keep both. We don't need a #1. They can split the season. Lui's cap hit is not bad, it can be done

Everyone is far too emotional about this situation. Of course everyone involved is going to have the outward stance being for the team etc. The reality is having 2 elite calibre goaltenders on a single team does not work.

Every player in the league is professional, and wants to play - no one wants to just sit on the bench and collect a cheque.

I have to believe that Gillis (with the realization of his remarks regarding the Hodgson trade) has done with Schneider exactly what was done with Hodgson - by design played him to something that can be traded and receive the most value for.

I've been Luongo's greatest critic for a long time, simply because he is such an elite player you can't not hold him to such high standards of expectation. With that being said, there are two realistic paths unfolding:

1. Gillis let's AV go, keeps Luongo and trades Cory Schneider.

• Comments made during his presser, regarding the emotional balance of the team, peaking in January, not being able to adjust in the LA series. IMO because of how Gillis operates (by committee) the onus is just as much on the head coach as it is on the associate coaching and scouting staff, the reality is the head coach on any team is the lightning rod for blame before it arcs to the GM. If AV goes, the rest of the associate coaching staff goes as well with the scouts getting the memo to be a bit more diligent and proactive moving forward.

• Luongo despite his slow starts plays phenomenally if streaky at times and has struggled in the post season, this I believe can be linked more directly to the coaching and preparation for series, or lack thereof.

• Easiest goaltending asset to move is Schneider of the two. Given that Schneider is RFA, there is still value to his rights as whichever team trades for him can simply match any offer sheets tendered, or can simply qualify and work at their own pace to sign Schneids to a long term deal. Trade value could realistically net a solid T6 player that has the ability to get to the middle of the ice, generate more chances off the rush and provide toughness; a player like Jordan Staal comes to mind (though it's unrealistic given Pittsburgh's current goaltending situation)

2. Gillis keeps AV, trades Luongo and keeps Cory Schneider.

• Realizing there aren't a lot of high calibre coaches available, the level of familiarity with the core, the team playing with more confidence with CS in net AV is kept on. I wouldn't be a fan of this, however I can understand how it makes the most sense.

• Luongo for everything he has done for whatever reason has lost the coaches confidence. When it comes to an individual player vs the rest of an entire team, and when that rest of the team plays better with the other option in net it makes sense to move the "trouble player" - that's not to imply that RL is in any way a problem, he has been nothing but the consummate professional and may just simply no longer "fit" in Vancouver. Luongo despite his contract still has amazing value trade wise and for what Luongo provides, his cap hit is more than manageable.

• Cory Schneider has earned the nod of approval from management, coaching and the team alike. For everyone saying "we don't know if Schneider can handle the load, he's never proven that he can play an entire season", you're already beginning his tenure as the bona fide #1 in a negative context. How about we give the individual the benefit of the doubt, he's played amazing when asked and rarely has a bad game. This is more of a testament to his mental strength and preparation than simply having played in a lot of games, because it proves that he has amazing focus and is ready for every game regardless if he plays or not.

IMO it's either one or the other. The compromise is standing pat which I cannot fathom being acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. Changes need to be made, but not wide sweeping.

A significant case can be made for either option, fire the coaching and introduce a new system, keep Luongo and move Schneider to bolster the roster or keep the system in place and move a player that doesn't fit with the team any longer and still bolster the roster.

The second option however is far more risky for Gillis, as he may not have the free reign to offer an extension to AV. In essence, if it doesn't work next season (Gillis and AV both entering the last years on their respective contracts), then ownership may decide to make wholesale changes and blow up the core (like Philadelphia did) and move out the entire management and coaching staffs and restructure.

It's entirely possible that ownership postures such that they give the mandate to Gillis to offload Luongo's contract and keep Schneider thinking long term.

I really beg to differ that nobody will want Lu. Under circumstances of not being in a Canadian market somewhere remotely close to his home Lu will be elite again. One has to be very grateful to Lu for how he is handling this BIG TIME. Any team trading for Lu now knows Lu will do what is best for the team and this may have increased his value . Any team knows Lu will not just hang around until the end of the deal and there is an out clause after 5 seasons for the team, and any team will realise Lu has an out clause after 3 more years.

I dont get why every sports network forever says is 10 years left when they know any team could cut ties in another 5 years.

Archived