The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

Strombone1

This is truly a shame! The BEST goalie we have had and the media, fans and management have basically hung Lou out to dry. Lets look at his accomplishments in a Canucks uniform.

2nd all time in games played - 386 games - (Surprised he made it this far, with the critism he receives)

1st all time in wins - 224 -

1st all time in win percentage - 0.58% - ght

1st all time in shutouts - 33 -

2nd all time in GAA - 2.35 in 386 games played - (Second to only Schneider with over 300 less games played)

2nd all time in Save percentage - 9.20 in 386 games played - (Second to only Schneider with over 300 less games played)

2nd all time in games played in the playoffs - 59 - (Second only to McLean @ 68)

2nd all time in playoff wins - 32 - (Only 2 behind McLean with Kirk having 9 more starts)

2nd all time in playoff GAA - 2.50 - (Behind Alex Auld @ 2.48 which only played 4 games)

2nd all time in playoff shutouts with 5 (Behind McLean @ 6 but still playing 9 less games)

1st all time in playoff save percentage - 9.17%

It's no secret I am a huge Luongo fan but for the past few years it has been difficult to continue to say the same thing over and over again. Luongo is the best goalie the Canucks have ever had and it is such a shame that we may be losing him. I remeber last year someone said on these boards that ANY other fan base/media would be treating him in a different way. That he would not be the scapegoat for the teams failures in any other NHL market. I guess now we may get the chance to see. I like Schneider, he will be great, he seems to be a team player and perhaps he should be the started but to just throw away someone that has done SO much for the orginization and played so well seems so ridiculous to me. Good luck with your new team if you do go and sorry we basically ran you out of town.

FTR: Schneids is 1-2 in the playoffs - Does that mean he should be traded? The only reason he even has that 1 win is because we scored two pp goals, something we couldn't give Luongo in games 1 or 2...

*** The above facts might not be exact, I'm not sure if they have updated them for the LA series ***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Vancouver_Canucks_records#Goaltenders

I hope that they deal with Luongo properly. Luongo deserves to be treated as an all-star player because thats simply what he is. I hope that the fans here realize what Luongo brought to this team and how he turned this team into a competitor.

With that said, the Luongo fanboys need to give it a rest.

Schneider had the better season and the better playoffs.

You can be said that Luongo may be traded, hell, you can mourn him. But please cut the crap on how Luongo is the only reason we got to the stanley cup finals last year, or that hes the reason we repeated as president trophy winners.

We had ELITE offense last year. We had great goaltending, but the reason we got so far was because we were able to put the puck in the net.

Schneider won 20 games for this team this season. Stop slamming your head into the sand everytime someone says Schneider earned his spot on this team.

Luongo is a true competitor with all the respect in the world for our franchise.

Yet tons of our fan base are happy to see him go, but were outraged when Coho, a guy who disrespected our franchise by whining and requesting a trade mid season, left.

What a joke.

It's obvious that it's going to be a shame if either Luongo or Schneider gets traded. Of course I'll support whoever the #1 goalie is, regardless of what happens over the summer. And whichever one leaves town, I hope he does well wherever he winds up.

If Luongo is the one that gets traded, someone is going to have to be willing to put up with his huge contract, and it's gotta be someone that has deep pockets. And the Canucks would get a lot in return (i.e., scoring sniper, offensive defenseman, stay-at-home D-man, prospects, draft picks, etc.).

If Schneider goes, same story: Canucks would get some veterans, prospects, and draft picks...and Schneider effectively becomes someone's franchise goalie for years to come.

And anyone want to take bets on how long it takes for people to turn on Schneids if he becomes Goalie #1?? Because it's going to happen, just as it has, it did, with Luo. It boggles my mind how any goalie would ever want to play in Vancouver the way they get treated by a certain segment of the fan base and the media.

I understand people being upset at how Luongo has been treated, but I dont understand how you can be mad that he is going to be gone this summer.

If the Canucks have to choose between Schnieds and Luongo, I dont know how you dont take Schnieds 100 times out of a 100. Would it be great if they were both back? Sure, but thats 5.5 million for a backup Goaltender assuming Schnieds takes over #1 duties which I am sure he will.

Do the Canucks have a responsibility to Luongo? Sure, thats why they signed a 12 year deal, however, this is a business. If you see something else potentially more profitable you dump your previous (some would argue bad) investment and cut your losses. I dont think it will impact the FA market like some of you do.

The alternative is trade Schnieder, a younger version of Luongo without all of the emotional baggage and built in hater fan base (im sure this will come eventually), then the Canucks would have dumped their best two assets in one calendar year, and we would be stuck with a team that looks exactly like the one that wasnt good enough for another few years.

This isnt kindergarten, big decisions must be made, and keeping Luongo over Schnieder is not the right one.

Archived