Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#301 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Ya, because Luongo won us the Stanley Cup this year right?

Schneider was the better goaltender this year by FAR.

I don't understand all the Luongo fanboys in here. Don't get me wrong, I'll be sad to see him go because he was a great asset to this team and a great goaltender. The real problem is about what is best for the team.

The Canucks play better in front of Schneider. Schneider has proven he can play extremely well in pressure games.

I'll be sad to see Luongo go, but that will be attoned for when Schneider starts next season.

No offence to anyone but, Schneider has not had the same pressure on him as Luongo has. I hope it remains that way if Lou leaves.

Lou is a great Goaltender and deserves more from the media and fans here. I hope everyone has learned from this and going forward we support everyone on the team no matter who is in net (Schneider, Luongo or Lack.
They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#302 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Gonna cheer for Luongo in that one

I hope he somehow goes to the Flames so I can watch you eat a feast of crow in the Flames thread.

#303 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Seriously? Wow.

Yes. We didn't hire a GM to play sentimental favorites.

In this situation, salary cap issues prevent us from keeping both goalies. I'm in favor of putting both on the hook and seeing what kinds of offers we receive.

Fans get too worked up about individual players that they neglect the overall health of the team. The reason why can't dump under performing players is because it is often unfeasible to find better replacements.

Hypothetically, if someone offered to trade Malkin, Karlsson, Hartnell, Sharp and Neil for Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Booth and Lapierre, would you do it or would you hang on to our beloved Canucks based on what they've accomplished in the past?

Posted Image

#304 iinatcc

iinatcc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'm glad Lu is being a team player ... but this makes me sad thinking about this.

I've been middle ground on Lu but overall, looking at things as an Organization, he's been great for the team.

#305 SimplyHockey

SimplyHockey

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Wouldn't his contract get in the way or could he agree to renegociate a new contract by all parties agreeing to throw this life time contract out.
You need to be a lawyer I guess.

Contracts cannot be renegotiated, they can only be extended.
"If you win say nothing, if you lose say less."

#306 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,397 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes, because we women have a button to push to make them retract, right? :P :lol:

Push down bra?

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#307 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

How disheartening to hear Luongo's sadness in his interview. Those who've stated that Luo is/was self-centered or arrogant should go take a look in the mirror.

I just had a call from a friend who asked me if it was true that Luongo is being traded and that he asked for it?????? How's that for misinterpretation of facts......lightening speed ffs.

Roberto's comments can quite easily be interpreted as a request to be moved. Players have been trained to remain politically correct throughout the entire careers. Throughout the interview, Roberto stated a trade would be for the sake of the team. For a recent comparison, we may simply look at Rick Nash, who claimed he wanted to be moved to help the Blue Jackets build for the future. We are all aware Nash desires to play for another club, yet he provides an unselfish reason, perhaps even an excuse, for the team to move him. Luongo praised Cory immensely today by calling him a superstar franchise goaltender, and made clear that Cory deserves to be the starting goaltender. If Roberto wanted to remain Vancouver's goaltender, he would argue for his own cause, but he has surrendered the net to Schneider.

It seems Roberto is asking for fans to pity his position, and has publicly made the entire city aware that he will accept a trade. Any individual who cares about his own career would certainly keep in mind what he says, and Roberto especially would want the best result for himself, whether it be as this team's starter or another team's starter. One thing is clear -- he wants to be a starting goaltender, and is not content with splitting games with Cory. Three playoff starts, and Roberto is already discussing a potential trade.

I believe he chose his words well, and I think he is sending team management the implicit message that he would like a trade. Certainly, others in his position would take the opportunity to express the same notion that the team no longer needs him, that they have found an adequate replacement, and that they should move on. It sounds a lot like he is asking for pity. He has made himself the target of rampant trade speculation and has essentially implied to Mike Gillis, "trade me, not Cory." There is now public pressure to trade him, and people are now expecting him to be moved, whereas just a few days ago it was an ambiguous decision.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#308 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I believe he chose his words well, and I think he is sending team management the implicit message that he would like a trade. Certainly, others in his position would take the opportunity to express the same notion that the team no longer needs him, that they have found an adequate replacement, and that they should move on. It sounds a lot like he is asking for pity.

Yes, I'm sure others may have the same opinion as you've stated above, I'm not one of them and I'm sure there are others who also share mho.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

#309 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Best case scenario- Trade Luongo for Malone or Hedman , but honestly even if you have to give Luongo for nothing , that contract has to be removed. It's an albatross around the neck. Even if you say take him we want no return , you free up about 7 million give cory half of that and if the salary cap goes up we have lots of money maybe weber , who really knows.

Luongo's cap hit is 5.3 million, in comparison to other goalies around the league that is a very good cap hit. The problem is not the cap space its the term, and if Luongo continues to decline over the years you will be stuck with his contract until he retires. As for trading him for Hedman there is no way that would happen. If Tampa has to take on Luo's contract they are not going to give up young assets. They might give up malone but i wouldnt want him. He has a bad contract and doesnt perform in the playoffs. It's like getting another Booth.

#310 Drew1

Drew1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

you guys can say what you want but the truth is , cory is leading all playoff goalies in GAA and SVP% and hes cool as a cucumber in the net and hes so flexible and strong , guys on sportsnet said hes 1 of only a few goalies that can hold a position that low . and ya I know he only played 3 playoff games but Lu played 2 and cory was like top 5 in GAA or SVP during regular season and halak and elliot split time and people rave about them but nobody gives cory credit , I bet if you guys had to choose to play a playoff game u would choose cory , and I love Luongo but if you really Love him you understand he is better off somewhere else , he needs a fresh start and maybe close to family.

#311 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

Agreed. Vancouver doesn't deserve luongo. And definately wont win a cup next year without him.

Be lucky if Schneider can even get us to the playoffs.

Can't you just cry to your mommy instead of whining here?

#312 Drew1

Drew1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

you guys can say what you want but the truth is , cory is leading all playoff goalies in GAA and SVP% and hes cool as a cucumber in the net and hes so flexible and strong , guys on sportsnet said hes 1 of only a few goalies that can hold a position that low . and ya I know he only played 3 playoff games but Lu played 2 and cory was like top 5 in GAA or SVP during regular season and halak and elliot split time and people rave about them but nobody gives cory credit , I bet if you guys had to choose to play a playoff game u would choose cory , and I love Luongo but if you really Love him you understand he is better off somewhere else , he needs a fresh start and maybe close to family.

#313 Apricot

Apricot

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Trade Schneider and keep LU...Jeez what does that say about our team when we attempt to demonstrate our commitment to a player through a long term contract and make him our captain, only to strip him of his captaincy and trade him 2 years after. He is an ALL STAR GOALIE who CHANGED this franchise around. :picard:

AMEN NIKI! Amen. 10000000% agree, took the exact words out of my mouth.

ahmet-maranki-kayisi-yagi.jpg

Previously known as CanucksRuleAll, CRA or Cantaloupe.

RIP RR, LB, PD. Forever in our hearts <3

#314 We Are All Cucks

We Are All Cucks

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Still think the only way Luongo would be willing to stay is if AV was fired. It was AV's decision to bench Lu and for MG to convince Lu that his future is here he might need to know it's as a starter.

Aside from that, on the benefit of trading Lu vs Schneids (if it is possible to keep Lu), what do we get for Lu? Another big contract? Or a few plugs? Not because of his value as a goalie, but simply because of his contract and market demands. So we sign Shcneids for 3.5 - 4 mill. and we save 1.5ish on a cap hit. Is it worth it?

We trade the hottest up and coming goalie in Shcneids then the market is bigger, teams negotiate their own contracts with him, all is well. Plus the Canucks still have a great goalie. From a business standpoint, I just think that makes more sense.

#315 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

I respect Luongo for coming out and saying that, he knows his job has been taken by a better goaltender and is willing to break the ice and waive his NTC for the betterment of the team. Now the ball is in MG's court, he doesnt have an excuse to use if he doesnt trade Luongo.

If MG gets Malone or Connolly and their 1st for Luongo, id be ecstatic :D

#316 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

he probably also realized that this team has no chance to win the cup. he was the best player in gm 1 and maybe gm2, Cory played lights out, and the team still can't score to save itself.

last SCF, he had to get 3 shutouts to win the cup. No goal support whatsoever. yet, the whole city blames him.

I'll get out of this crappy fan base too.

Edited by Jaimito, 24 April 2012 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

#317 Drew1

Drew1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Oh and those people that are hating on kesler, you guys know that he couldnt practice all off season because of his hip surgery and he came back early and was never 100% and now with the long off season we get like and extra 2 months to re energize and kesler had 0 goals in his last 17 games and everyone looks at that as a bad thing but you know kesler is going to be determined as ever to work his butt off and get back better then ever , it will fire him up and even though all our guys may not be 100% they are still healthy enough to play so with a long off season they should be pumped and healthier then ever

#318 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Can't believe some of the nucks fans. Get over it all of a sudden Luongo is everyones sweeheart? Give me a break, take a stand for a change. Luongo being shipped out is the best thing for the team and thats all that matters.

Gained a lot of respect for Luongo over the last week and how he has handled things but still would prefer him to be traded and hand the reings over to Schneider.

#319 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

The fans did not force Luongo out of this organization and this city...if that's the way it goes down. Like Gillis said, it wasn't an accident that Schneider played in some important and pivotal games this year. They wanted to know if he could play in those games, and have the same kind of success that he had against lessor teams last year, and he did. I personally don't think that they would have started Schneider in game 3 if the organization didn't have an agenda as to who they wanted to go with moving forward, and Schneider played some amazing hockey in response.

Schneider's age, character, and performance allowed Luongo to become somewhat expendable, and two starter capable goaltenders were a luxury for two years, and will be a luxury should they want to keep both. At this point, Schneider has the potential to become an elite goaltender in the league, and that's the only reason why Luongo could be moved. I'm tired of hearing the "fans pushed Luongo out" shtick. There's something very impressive with Schneider's game; calm demeanor, efficient movement, explosive agility...we'll regret moving such an articulate and outstanding goaltender, and I think the Canucks feel the same way.

I know that Luongo is a competitor, and he's a guy that if it were up to him, he'd play all 82 games. I feel that he has declined in the last few years in terms of agility and athleticism, but he has evolved his game to become more efficient, and maximize his biggest assets, which is his play-reading ability, size, and battle level. I wish him all the luck moving forward, because he has accomplished a lot with this team and I admire his competitive spirit.

#320 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Oh and those people that are hating on kesler, you guys know that he couldnt practice all off season because of his hip surgery and he came back early and was never 100% and now with the long off season we get like and extra 2 months to re energize and kesler had 0 goals in his last 17 games and everyone looks at that as a bad thing but you know kesler is going to be determined as ever to work his butt off and get back better then ever , it will fire him up and even though all our guys may not be 100% they are still healthy enough to play so with a long off season they should be pumped and healthier then ever

Posted Image

#321 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

This could be the best trade or the worst trade for this franchise's future.

Don't be so hasty with trading Luongo, he is still a vital part of this team. And has anyone stopped and asked, does Schneider even want to sign here?

He's probably disgusted by the way fans treat Luongo. Do you think he really wants to play out the rest of his career in front of a bunch of ungrateful ingrates?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#322 hank&dan

hank&dan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Nature of the beast
Posted Image

But as usual, Bieksa makes the routine defensive play a hair-raising adventure.

#323 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yes. We didn't hire a GM to play sentimental favorites.

In this situation, salary cap issues prevent us from keeping both goalies. I'm in favor of putting both on the hook and seeing what kinds of offers we receive.

Fans get too worked up about individual players that they neglect the overall health of the team. The reason why can't dump under performing players is because it is often unfeasible to find better replacements.

Hypothetically, if someone offered to trade Malkin, Karlsson, Hartnell, Sharp and Neil for Kesler, Edler, Burrows, Booth and Lapierre, would you do it or would you hang on to our beloved Canucks based on what they've accomplished in the past?

I agree.

Dangle both. Then compare the offers...Package A + Luo in net or Package B + Schnieder in net. Then make the trade that makes the team better.

#324 Poofy

Poofy

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

5 division Championships in 6 years, 2 Presidents Trophies, Game 7 of the Cup finals....... Let's fire the coach, get rid of a great goalie, blow up the team etc etc etc.

This fan base is a fickle *****.

Ok keep him and watch his inevitable meltdown next playoffs IF we make it. He's already tanked two consecutive playoff runs. Do you want to gamble on a third? $5.3m for a bench goalie is bad business. Heartwarming stats don't win you a cup. You like him so much then beg him to stay because he already said he would be happy to leave.

Edited by Poofy, 24 April 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#325 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

This could be the best trade or the worst trade for this franchise's future.

Don't be so hasty with trading Luongo, he is still a vital part of this team. And has anyone stopped and asked, does Schneider even want to sign here?

He's probably disgusted by the way fans treat Luongo. Do you think he really wants to play out the rest of his career in front of a bunch of ungrateful ingrates?

Daniel and Henrik did. Kesler did. Bieksa did. Burrows did. Salo continues to. Heck, even Luongo did.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#326 Deets

Deets

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

Personally, I want what is best for the team. Schneider is the future.

But anyone who slights Luongo should pull their head from between their cheeks. The Canucks are unbelievably fortunate to be in the position to pick between two amazing goalies. I pick Schneids, but dont forget, part of the reason Schneider is so good, is because he trained under Luongo.

#327 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

This is the beginning of the end of an era.

I'm going to say we miss the playoffs next year without luongo.

Then the haters say Lu wouldn't have made a difference.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#328 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Wow,

Im going to miss "GREAT SAVE LUONGO"

It just won't be the same. :( :unsure: :mellow:

LOL I still miss Jim Hughson's "GREAT SAVE, CLOUTIER!" Oh the West Coast Express era..

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#329 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Daniel and Henrik did. Kesler did. Bieksa did. Burrows did. Salo continues to. Heck, even Luongo did.

Clearly fans here treat the goaltending position much differently.

And Luongo signed his lifetime contract before things got really ugly.

I don't think Schneider is the type of guy that would even wanna steal a job away from someone, let alone his mentor. You think he'd feel good about that? He'll probably make the decision easy by telling management he's prefer to go somewhere else.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#330 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Players will play where they feel they have a greater chance at winning (if that's what they want).

Perhaps a better question would be why does anyone play in Toronto? Their fans actually chant for the coach to be fired :shock: (how dare they!).

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.