Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#331 Demo250

Demo250

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Can't believe some of the nucks fans. Get over it all of a sudden Luongo is everyones sweeheart? Give me a break, take a stand for a change. Luongo being shipped out is the best thing for the team and thats all that matters.

Gained a lot of respect for Luongo over the last week and how he has handled things but still would prefer him to be traded and hand the reings over to Schneider.

You act like every Canucks fan wanted Luongo gone prior to this... that is so untrue. If you haven't realized, the fan base is pretty split on this.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#332 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Daniel and Henrik did. Kesler did. Bieksa did. Burrows did. Salo continues to. Heck, even Luongo did.

This is absolutely correct.

To those who believe the fans have driven Roberto out of Vancouver:

This is about Cory Schneider's sudden rise as an elite goaltender. Until this year, no amount of complaining would have resulted in Roberto being moved. Suddenly, another goaltender has proven he can match Roberto and outperform him in net.

Cory has claimed the starting goaltender's position with his play, and the team has known all along that one goaltender needed to be moved by the time he reached RFA status. Everybody has realized that the goaltending tandem/two-goalie model is unsustainable, as Cory will receive a hefty raise this year. Roberto also might not want to split games evenly with Cory and sit on the bench for 41 games for the next several years. This is a pivotal moment in both of their careers, and in order for each of them to play 60+ games, they can not remain on the same team.

Everybody knew one goalie would be moved. It is a matter of deciding which goaltender should be kept, and Roberto knows it is Schneider. The fans had little to do with influencing how well Cory has risen to the task of challenging Roberto and claiming the starting job.

Without Cory's presence, Roberto would not even consider being moved. He has lost confidence in his ability to remain the team's starting goaltender, primarily because there is another goaltender who may in fact deserve more than forty starts per year with this team. This is a career decision for him. For the longevity of his career, and to remain a confident, starting goaltender for many years to come, Roberto wishes to be moved. That's it. Fans have nothing to do with this. This is a goalie controversy involving only the two goaltenders and an evaluation from management. Roberto has decided his starting job may be in jeopardy and wishes to be traded.

As I've already stated, his decision to make this public is smart from his perspective. He has implied to team management that a decision must be made, and that the team should keep Schneider and move him instead. He is insecure about his status as the team's primary netminder and has decided a two-goaltender system is unfeasable for him after three playoff games as the backup goaltender. He entered the playoffs supportive of the goaltending tandem, but suddenly found himself not playing. Perhaps he could support it when he was confident he could be the team's main starter.

It is not the fans who have chased Roberto, but Cory Schneider's rise as an elite netminder. Without Cory's unbelievable play, Luongo stays and we continue to rely on him as the team's starter, citing that he is our best option. With Cory, Roberto is not our best option. He knows this. For his own sake, he wants to play where he can be the starting goalie for the next several years; sitting on the bench during the playoffs is not something he wants to do.

The fans are not the reason for what has happened. Schneider did not become the starting goaltender in spite of his own play; he performed better than Roberto, and both goaltenders are aware of it. It is not a popularity contest. This is about performance and reliability. The team chose Schneider during the playoffs, and Roberto is not happy.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#333 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

Ok keep him and watch his inevitable meltdown next playoffs IF we make it. He's already tanked two consecutive playoff runs. Do you want to gamble on a third? $5.3m for a bench goalie is bad business. Heartwarming stats don't win you a cup. You like him so much then beg him to stay because he already said he would be happy to leave.

Luongo kept us in both playoff runs. I'm sure if he had it his way he'd try and score a couple of goals as well, cause the team sure couldn't do that when they needed to. I mean, it is hard to win a game when your team puts up an egg on the board.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#334 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

No matter what happens... I hope Schneids and Lu both get cups in their careers. Preferably at least 1 of those with the Canucks. They're clearly great friends and have a lot of respect for each other & the team as a whole. Much respect to Roberto for all he's achieved & helped this team achieve.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#335 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

he probably also realized that this team has no chance to win the cup. he was the best player in gm 1 and maybe gm2, Cory played lights out, and the team still can't score to save itself.

last SCF, he had to get 3 shutouts to win the cup. No goal support whatsoever. yet, the whole city blames him.

I'll get out of this crappy fan base too.

I think it's important to remember that shutouts (success as a whole) are reliant on many factors. The team has to play well in front of him in order for him to play well, and vice versa. But for all his successes, he's also had his fair share of failures, and he's had some very bad games mixed in with his great games. You can't just focus on one and not the other. Just because he's had great games doesn't mean the fanbase can't be tough on him for his bad ones.

Yes, there are holes in this team, and it's tough that Gillis did not figure this out before this season. But one thing has nothing to do with the other. Sure, there are some fans that blame Luongo for all our failures, but just because there are some dumb fans doesn't mean we all are. Look at how many fans are fervently defending Luongo, right or wrong. Luongo should be proud that he has such a loyal fanbase after everything we've been through. You are wrong about this fan-base. Just because people don't necessarily agree with your opinion doesn't make them wrong, or even bad fans.

#336 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,189 posts

Don't forget that we've only been as good as we have the past two seasons because Luongo won the majority of our games. Give him a decent backup and we can be just as good. Plus he's proven that he can handle alot of games if necessary.

If we keep Schneider and we can't find a backup who is good enough to play 30+ games, there's no guarantee that Schneider can handle 70+ games.

It's a big gamble whether fans wanna believe it or not. There's been lots of goalies who looked like they were going to be elite (steve mason), and then fizzled out. At least Luongo has a track record that shows he can be elite consistently.

Edited by DeNiro, 24 April 2012 - 02:02 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#337 BabyBolland

BabyBolland

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Man unreal ...when I pay my hard earned money to see the Canucks play, its to watch Loungo make a big save or the Sedins on the power play.

After everything Loungo has done for our team I cant believe they are hanging him out to dry like this.

not sure how the team has left him hanging when he said he's willing to waive his NTC when the MEDIA asked him if he would.

#338 G-Nucklehead

G-Nucklehead

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

I've read a good chunk of these posts and for the EMOTIONAL/DRAMATIC fans and die-hard Lu supporters please...put your freakin' emotions aside. This is a professional sports team and last I checked....HOCKEY IS STILL A BUSINESS. He's NOT being run out of the town by FANS and MEDIA. They have NO INPUT on this matter. Y'all can say what you want and the media can churn out whatever they want. This is between the ORGANIZATION and HIM.

There's no doubt what Lu brought to the table over the years with this organization. He's an amazing goalie in his own right. When's he's on his game, he's amazing. When's he's bad, everyone crucifies him even if it WASN'T his fault. IMO, he's not a high pressure game goalie. The pressure, media, and fans/bandwagoners does get to him.

Over the past two seasons, the Canucks have fired his goalie coach, limited his ice time when Lu thrives on being a workhorse, played Schneids in big games, and then have Schneids take over the playoffs when it was suppose to be LU's job. Simply, the Jedi has been overtaken by the young padawan. Luongo has handled the whole situation with class and I truly respect him as a MAN because it's tough to swallow when you're a 5 million dollar starter sitting on the bench during the playoffs. At the same time, he has to handle the situation with class because he's also trying to sell himself to other teams.

Both sides understand the situation. They made their decision in game 4. The Canucks are going younger and Schneids have proven himself that he's capable of being a starter and he deserves it. He's just as good as Lu skill-wise, cheaper, calmer in high pressure games, can handle the media and scutiny with grace. Gillis sees it, AV sees it, so does Lu hence the praise during the video interview. It's not financially feasible to keep two goalies worth around 8+ million in cap space. Lu's right. It IS what's best for the organization. Lu won't stay if he won't get what he wants so the organization will do their best to find a team that will suit his needs. IMO, he needs the change of scenery. I guarantee in a low pressure market like Tampa where the attention is not on him, he'll definately win a cup for them. Being closer to the wife and kids also helps.

I'm sure both sides will handle this with grace and the media can finally shut up about this goaltending controversy.....................until Lack becomes a backup and outplays Schneids in the future.
"If all else fails....MONOCLE SMILE!"

#339 canadiangunner

canadiangunner

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

You act like every Canucks fan wanted Luongo gone prior to this... that is so untrue. If you haven't realized, the fan base is pretty split on this.

The majority want luongo and his contract off the books especially if nucks get a decent return.

#340 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,970 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Greatest news ever. Should be an exciting off season

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#341 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

The fans did not force Luongo out of this organization and this city...if that's the way it goes down

I'm tired of hearing the "fans pushed Luongo out" shtick.

Better get used to it.....it's now being stated all over the place, go check out some other team's boards. Canuck fans are not well liked through out the league and this situation with Bobby-lou just gives them more fodder to spread this perception.

"He'll play, you know he'll play. He'll play on crutches."

linden_mclean1994.jpg

Kirk McLean and Trevor Linden -Game 6 1994 SC Finals

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#342 giXXer

giXXer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

I'm so pissed now, I hope LU goes to a contending team and tears crap up, which no doubt he will and without the pressure of the idiotic fans and the media in this town!!!

#343 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

The majority want luongo and his contract off the books especially if nucks get a decent return.

majority? You do a poll on this?

linden_mclean1994.jpg

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#344 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,026 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have no idea if anyone replied to me earlier...but after thinking about what I said earlier I want to contract my previous statement somewhat. I think Luongo still is a better goalie at this point in time. I think Schneider has the potential to be better in a year or two. The best part about moving Luo though is that it would give us the money to bring some better players. So while I would hate to see Luo go, long term it is probably better.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#345 Denguin

Denguin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,743 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

And suddenly everyone loves Luongo...

I kind of feel bad about the whole situation. Luongo has done so much for this franchise by giving us security in goal for the first time in several years... Mad respect to him for making a decision like that.

My stance? I think Schneider will be better in the long run, however, it's still a tough decision between two all star calibre goaltenders.

#346 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

We as fans have no clue what goes on and the reasoning for the decisions they make. Maybe there is friction int he locker room, mabye it is tough on his family, maybe is nobody would have thought Cory would play this good this soon, maybe could Cory could still go if ownership refuses to let MG let Lu go, maybe if MG says we have to trade Lu and ownership says no it will be MG who leaves

#347 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Pretty heavy statement from Luongo. But he is NOT asking for a trade. He makes very clear that he would be happy to stay.

However, I'm very happy that he feels this way because it gives Gillis options - and if teams know we are not desperate to move one or the other, we are more likely to get a better return for the one who is moved.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#348 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

To you stats homers....might as well traded away Kesler, Edler, Higgins, Burrows, Booth, Lapierre while we're at it too then...

:picard:

No. We can keep edler.

#349 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,490 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

Better get used to it.....it's now being stated all over the place, go check out some other team's boards. Canuck fans are not well liked through out the league and this situation with Bobby-lou just gives them more fodder to spread this perception.

The same fans with their multitudes of Ro8erto 7uongo and 7 past Luongo posts? Yeah, their sudden support for the guy is crap and just looking for another way to rail on Vancouver.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#350 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I hope everyone's happy. We've basically run the best goaltender we've ever had out of town. Our past captain, and a core member who has put up with everything we've thrown at him. Captain Kirk McLean and King Richard Brodeur are honoured in this city, while Roberto Luongo is treated like the court jester who people have grown tired of when he doesn't blow you away every time.

Good luck in the future Luongo. I'll be supporting you in the rest of your career, proudly wearing the jersey you signed for me.

/stupid why would you wear a signed jersey out?

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#351 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Although I think his contract makes him untradeable, let's say Gillis does find a taker for him. What do you think you will get in return? I'm seeing lots of posts of people thinking star players will be coming back in the trade - not so. Your trading partner is in the driver's seat and knows they don't have to give you anything in return because just them taking that contract and money off your hands would be value enough. Another thing too - there is a short timetable to trade Luongo before a decision is needed on Schneider. If you can't trade Luongo I don't see how Vancouver could match an offer for Schneider or even risk having to pay that and still have Luongo's contract on the books. This is the downside to the lifetime contracts. You guys won't be the only ones experiencing this in the years to come. Ask the Islanders how they feel about the 15 year deal they gave to DiPietro.

#352 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

I'm so pissed now, I hope LU goes to a contending team and tears crap up, which no doubt he will and without the pressure of the idiotic fans and the media in this town!!!

The irony of this is that if Roberto does not perform well, fans will unanimously declare Roberto to be a complete failure. As I have stated numerous times already, the fans have nothing to do with this. Insiders have all declared Cory Schneider to be the more desirable goaltender of the two, amongst the NHL's general managers. The goaltenders are not being picked based on popularity, and Roberto is not being chased out of town as an impending free agent. Analysts, scouts and management teams around the league have chosen Cory Schneider over Roberto Luongo. The team itself decided this postseason that Cory Schneider would be the more reliable goaltender in net.

This is not about the fans. This is about NHL elites evaluating which goaltender is better, and Roberto being insecure about the uncertainty. He knows Cory Schneider is a very capable, elite goaltender. He does not appreciate becoming a backup goaltender.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#353 Mad_Duck

Mad_Duck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

...Here's a recent pic of Canuck Fans who continue to show they care and support Roberto Luongo......... :(

Posted Image

Looks more like a media scrum to me.
I put the F U in Fun!

Posted Image

#354 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Clearly fans here treat the goaltending position much differently.

And Luongo signed his lifetime contract before things got really ugly.

I don't think Schneider is the type of guy that would even wanna steal a job away from someone, let alone his mentor. You think he'd feel good about that? He'll probably make the decision easy by telling management he's prefer to go somewhere else.

Fans are fans. Some are right, and some are wrong. Some are dumb and others not. They are the same everywhere. I remember PIttsburgh fans wanting to waive Fleury at the start of last season for his poor play against Montreal. I remember his poor start, and fans overreacting and saying some outrageous things. Then Fleury buckled down, played terrific and was one of their most consistent players after that terrible first month. Now take this year; I'm not sure Fleury could even show his face in Pittsburgh after his post-season.

How about Miller? Their fans were screaming for Enroth to become their new number one, and were already thinking about ways they could transition to Enroth by starting Miller less, moving him next year, etc.

Fans are the same everywhere. Don't beat down an entire fanbase based on a few bad and/or dumb fans. Just take a look at how many fans fervently defend Luongo. Like I said before, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they are wrong or even bad fans.

#355 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

thats cause he knows the alternative is riding the bench next year.

formerly......puck n icehole

#356 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

I hope Lu stays. It would suck to see him in another team.

Can we just keep both and see how it goes for another year? To be honest, letting Lu go and having Schneider to stay is also risky move. We haven't see him play as many games as Lu to fully say he is consistent. I think he only played 33 games the whole reg season, right? Plus, it's hard to say if he can be consistent during the whole playoffs because he hasn't started games until the last 3 against LA.

At least with Lu we know he can carry the team during the playoffs (look at last year's run----> yes some meltdowns now and then but every goalies have their moment). What we need is a big improvement in our offense and D.

#357 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Here's something else to consider. What kind of goaltender will Schneider be AFTER he inks his new contract and hefty payday. Remember he was playing for a contract this year. You guys may regret losing Luongo. And him leaving may give him the incentive to prove you guys made the wrong choice.

#358 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,648 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

I hope everyone's happy. We've basically run the best goaltender we've ever had out of town. Our past captain, and a core member who has put up with everything we've thrown at him. Captain Kirk McLean and King Richard Brodeur are honoured in this city, while Roberto Luongo is treated like the court jester who people have grown tired of when he doesn't blow you away every time.

Good luck in the future Luongo. I'll be supporting you in the rest of your career, proudly wearing the jersey you signed for me.

Don't be so melodramatic!!!

Management made a decision to play the goalie they have groomed for 6 years in the belief that he may be the best option and the future for the oprganization. It appears their hunch about Cory was right.

Yes, Luongo has had crap thrown at him in Vancouver but so has Price in Montreal, Patrick Roy etc.

Don't be so arrogant as to think that you or any fans led to Lu leaving. He is aging and declining and there is what looks like a better goalie ready to take his place. IT happens, or did you think he would play until he's 80?!!

LU has a great contract and will be a hero in a new market where he can replace someone that has nto been getting it done. I appreciate what he did for this team and he will always be remembered s the best goalie we had. Times change and in the salary cap era, tough choices have to be made.

I wish Lu all the best IF he ends up leaving. This could just be a way of taking the heat of Lu if the trade Schneids rather than have fans believe it was Lu that drove Cory away.

We will have to wait and see just how this plays out.

#359 tocnhockey

tocnhockey

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

The same fans with their multitudes of Ro8erto 7uongo and 7 past Luongo posts? Yeah, their sudden support for the guy is crap and just looking for another way to rail on Vancouver.

Yup! Hawks and Calgary Puck are the two worst boards for Canuck bashing, in fact the Hawks fans there spend a lot of time obsessing about our fanbase and the team LOL.

linden_mclean1994.jpg

8_9_18.gifRIP PAT QUINN

#360 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

I hope Lu stays. It would suck to see him in another team.

Can we just keep both and see how it goes for another year? To be honest, letting Lu go and having Schneider to stay is also risky move. We haven't see him play as many games as Lu to fully say he is consistent. I think he only played 33 games the whole reg season, right? Plus, it's hard to say if he can be consistent during the whole playoffs because he hasn't started games until the last 3 against LA.

At least with Lu we know he can carry the team during the playoffs (look at last year's run----> yes some meltdowns now and then but every goalies have their moment). What we need is a big improvement in our offense and D.

Nobody is too certain that Roberto wants to repeat as the backup during the playoffs. He only spent three games on the bench before discussing with the media that he would waive his NTC. That is a fairly short time. He had been praising the tandem when he was the primary starter, but now seems so uncertain after a week as the backup. This can imply impatience or insecurity.

Roberto wants to play, as does Schneider. The goaltending tandem can not operate because both goaltenders wish to be the starter. I doubt Roberto wants to remain on the bench for half of next season, as well as during the playoffs.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.