The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

Strombone1

Ya, because Luongo won us the Stanley Cup this year right?

Schneider was the better goaltender this year by FAR.

I don't understand all the Luongo fanboys in here. Don't get me wrong, I'll be sad to see him go because he was a great asset to this team and a great goaltender. The real problem is about what is best for the team.

The Canucks play better in front of Schneider. Schneider has proven he can play extremely well in pressure games.

I'll be sad to see Luongo go, but that will be attoned for when Schneider starts next season.

How disheartening to hear Luongo's sadness in his interview. Those who've stated that Luo is/was self-centered or arrogant should go take a look in the mirror.

I just had a call from a friend who asked me if it was true that Luongo is being traded and that he asked for it?????? How's that for misinterpretation of facts......lightening speed ffs.

I believe he chose his words well, and I think he is sending team management the implicit message that he would like a trade. Certainly, others in his position would take the opportunity to express the same notion that the team no longer needs him, that they have found an adequate replacement, and that they should move on. It sounds a lot like he is asking for pity.

Best case scenario- Trade Luongo for Malone or Hedman , but honestly even if you have to give Luongo for nothing , that contract has to be removed. It's an albatross around the neck. Even if you say take him we want no return , you free up about 7 million give cory half of that and if the salary cap goes up we have lots of money maybe weber , who really knows.

you guys can say what you want but the truth is , cory is leading all playoff goalies in GAA and SVP% and hes cool as a cucumber in the net and hes so flexible and strong , guys on sportsnet said hes 1 of only a few goalies that can hold a position that low . and ya I know he only played 3 playoff games but Lu played 2 and cory was like top 5 in GAA or SVP during regular season and halak and elliot split time and people rave about them but nobody gives cory credit , I bet if you guys had to choose to play a playoff game u would choose cory , and I love Luongo but if you really Love him you understand he is better off somewhere else , he needs a fresh start and maybe close to family.

you guys can say what you want but the truth is , cory is leading all playoff goalies in GAA and SVP% and hes cool as a cucumber in the net and hes so flexible and strong , guys on sportsnet said hes 1 of only a few goalies that can hold a position that low . and ya I know he only played 3 playoff games but Lu played 2 and cory was like top 5 in GAA or SVP during regular season and halak and elliot split time and people rave about them but nobody gives cory credit , I bet if you guys had to choose to play a playoff game u would choose cory , and I love Luongo but if you really Love him you understand he is better off somewhere else , he needs a fresh start and maybe close to family.

Trade Schneider and keep LU...Jeez what does that say about our team when we attempt to demonstrate our commitment to a player through a long term contract and make him our captain, only to strip him of his captaincy and trade him 2 years after. He is an ALL STAR GOALIE who CHANGED this franchise around. :picard:

Still think the only way Luongo would be willing to stay is if AV was fired. It was AV's decision to bench Lu and for MG to convince Lu that his future is here he might need to know it's as a starter.

Aside from that, on the benefit of trading Lu vs Schneids (if it is possible to keep Lu), what do we get for Lu? Another big contract? Or a few plugs? Not because of his value as a goalie, but simply because of his contract and market demands. So we sign Shcneids for 3.5 - 4 mill. and we save 1.5ish on a cap hit. Is it worth it?

We trade the hottest up and coming goalie in Shcneids then the market is bigger, teams negotiate their own contracts with him, all is well. Plus the Canucks still have a great goalie. From a business standpoint, I just think that makes more sense.

I respect Luongo for coming out and saying that, he knows his job has been taken by a better goaltender and is willing to break the ice and waive his NTC for the betterment of the team. Now the ball is in MG's court, he doesnt have an excuse to use if he doesnt trade Luongo.

If MG gets Malone or Connolly and their 1st for Luongo, id be ecstatic :D

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

Oh and those people that are hating on kesler, you guys know that he couldnt practice all off season because of his hip surgery and he came back early and was never 100% and now with the long off season we get like and extra 2 months to re energize and kesler had 0 goals in his last 17 games and everyone looks at that as a bad thing but you know kesler is going to be determined as ever to work his butt off and get back better then ever , it will fire him up and even though all our guys may not be 100% they are still healthy enough to play so with a long off season they should be pumped and healthier then ever

Can't believe some of the nucks fans. Get over it all of a sudden Luongo is everyones sweeheart? Give me a break, take a stand for a change. Luongo being shipped out is the best thing for the team and thats all that matters.

Gained a lot of respect for Luongo over the last week and how he has handled things but still would prefer him to be traded and hand the reings over to Schneider.

The fans did not force Luongo out of this organization and this city...if that's the way it goes down. Like Gillis said, it wasn't an accident that Schneider played in some important and pivotal games this year. They wanted to know if he could play in those games, and have the same kind of success that he had against lessor teams last year, and he did. I personally don't think that they would have started Schneider in game 3 if the organization didn't have an agenda as to who they wanted to go with moving forward, and Schneider played some amazing hockey in response.

Schneider's age, character, and performance allowed Luongo to become somewhat expendable, and two starter capable goaltenders were a luxury for two years, and will be a luxury should they want to keep both. At this point, Schneider has the potential to become an elite goaltender in the league, and that's the only reason why Luongo could be moved. I'm tired of hearing the "fans pushed Luongo out" shtick. There's something very impressive with Schneider's game; calm demeanor, efficient movement, explosive agility...we'll regret moving such an articulate and outstanding goaltender, and I think the Canucks feel the same way.

I know that Luongo is a competitor, and he's a guy that if it were up to him, he'd play all 82 games. I feel that he has declined in the last few years in terms of agility and athleticism, but he has evolved his game to become more efficient, and maximize his biggest assets, which is his play-reading ability, size, and battle level. I wish him all the luck moving forward, because he has accomplished a lot with this team and I admire his competitive spirit.

Oh and those people that are hating on kesler, you guys know that he couldnt practice all off season because of his hip surgery and he came back early and was never 100% and now with the long off season we get like and extra 2 months to re energize and kesler had 0 goals in his last 17 games and everyone looks at that as a bad thing but you know kesler is going to be determined as ever to work his butt off and get back better then ever , it will fire him up and even though all our guys may not be 100% they are still healthy enough to play so with a long off season they should be pumped and healthier then ever

Archived