Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#511 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Good bye Shniiides~

Are you joking or what

#512 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

Really classy of Luongo, he may not have won game 7 for us but he did keep us in contention for the other rounds as well.

Thanks for all your hard work and if you are moved good luck on your future endeavors.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#513 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,967 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

I wonder if Toronto is desperate enough to do something like:

To Vancouver:

Jake Gardiner
5th overall pick

To Toronto:

Cory Schneider
1st round pick

Then we can sign Shultz and have a solid young bottom pairing D, not unlike what New York is doing.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#514 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

I wonder if Toronto is desperate enough to do something like:

To Vancouver:

Jake Gardiner
5th overall pick

To Toronto:

Cory Schneider
1st round pick

Then we can sign Shultz and have a solid young bottom pairing D, not unlike what New York is doing.

Doubt it. I also doubt Luo would waive (if he does) to go to Toronto.

I think there are only two options. Both in Florida.

Edited by Tanev's Smirk, 24 April 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#515 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,967 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Doubt it. I also doubt Luo would waive (if he does) to go to Toronto.

I think there are only two options. Both in Florida.

My trade didn't involve Lu. It was for Schneider.

Toronto is desperate for goaltending and Schneider is a former Nonis pick.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#516 bananian

bananian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

trade him for Hodgeson.

#517 Go Canucks Go Go

Go Canucks Go Go

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

May I ask - how did Luongo lose the Canucks the Stanley cup? We had what, 8 goals in the entire Boston series? The TEAM choked - we were up 2-0 in the series and couldn't finish it in game 6 or game 7. Does Vancouver expect Luongo to score goals now too?!
I don't have stats on me to back this up, but Luongo played fantastic in the playoff run last year. Sure - he let in 4 goals in game 7 - but where the hell was the rest of the team in games 3, 4 and 6??

And people don't talk about why the team meltdown in game 3, 4. I believe the Aaron Rome hit played a great role to shake our performance as the Boston was fired up. Lu had an amazing game 5 but how many goals we scored in that game? 1!!! Lu needed to be PERFECT for us to win the Cup. I agreed he could've been better in Game 7 but why everyone else get a pass?

Just like the games we played this year with LA, we cannot count on goaltending ONLY. So many invisible players to blame and on CDC we still put this much attention on our goalies...

#518 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Well Luongo is from Montreal and he would love to join that team but I don't think Pierre Gauthier would be interested in him since Carey Price is their #1 starter and is still young.

Gauthier was fired .. trade for Price .. him and Cory get 41 games each .. trade the "weak" link next summer .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#519 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

My mistake.

*read before posting, read before posting*

I could see Cory going that way, but I'd dislike the trade.

#520 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Lui to Florida for Gudbranson ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#521 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

Luongo won't be going to Detroit. He would be in the same situation with Jimmy Howard there. Howard posted a 2.13 GAA, .920 Save %, he won 35 games and put up 6 shutouts this year. Just like Schneider, Howard is a starter and a very good one. If anything, Howard is way ahead of Schneider because of his few seasons as a starter already under his belt. Additionally, why would Detroit bother to trade assets for him when they, like I just talked about, have Howard already?

#522 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I think we all need to sit back and asess what actually happened today....

Luongo played his cards beautifully, like the poker player he is, and Schneider's trade value just hit an all-time high!

All the while, we're sitting here admiring Luongo's class in this situation.

All bets are off in regards to what happens now.
Posted Image

#523 kurtis

kurtis

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

this
Posted Image

#524 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I'm not happy about this.. I love Lui and he even sign my white 2010 Team Canada jersey... Sigh.. I hope we can keep both players!

#525 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Rather would have a more reliable source. The player exit meetings have not even begun for crying out loud.

You really need "a more reliable source" than Roberto Luongo himself? Shouldn't be too difficult to read between the lines when you listen to and/or watch the clip.

#526 Hockey Coach12

Hockey Coach12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

His list of teams would probably look something like this:

Tampa
Florida
Montreal
Detroit
Toronto

Chicago could be a wild card team for that list.

Sorry to disillision you guys, but the Hawks have ZERO interest in Lou! They are looking at trying to get their hands on Brian Elliot if they get rid of Crawford from what I have been hearing.
Does anyone here remember the Corey Crawford that took us to game 7 in the first round after being down 3 games to none last year? Everyone here was extremely impressed with him, and I think Chicago opts to keep him around unless they can somehow get Elliot or decide to offersheet Schneids. A move like that from them wouldn't surprise me either, as I can bet that if the Nucks don't get Schneids signed before July 1, there will be plenty of teams looking to take him from us.

As far as Chicago goes, they could never afford Lou's contract anyways, they have some major holes to fill already on D and 2nd center. They don't pay that much for a goalie, that is why they let Niemi walk.

Edited by Hockey Coach12, 24 April 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#527 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,303 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I said this after the Hodgson trade and I'll say it again now -

Mark my words, if Luongo is traded the Canucks will pay dearly. In this case, we won't make the playoffs.

Schneider is NOT ready to play 60+ games in the league. The only reason he looked so good during the regular season was because he played a few spot starts. The one time he played 7 consecutive games he was blown out and let in 3 terrible goals on around 10 shots in a period. This guy is still a kid, nowhere near the professional Luongo is and he'll be lucky if he ever achieves what Lu has already.

Moreso, Eddie Lack is nowhere near close to starting in the NHL let alone playing 20 games, which is what we need from our backup if our starter is to play well in the playoffs.

Furthermore, if we go with Schneider that's basically a giant "F-U" to the rest of our core, who are hitting their prime now. Schneider is still a few years from his prime (no matter how well he's playing now, goalies take much longer to develop than regular skaters) and his prime would fit in much better with Gragnani's, Edler's, Kassian's, Tanev's, Schroeder's and Jensen's which is the future wave of the Canucks. By doing this we're essentially giving up on our core of the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler who deserve a goalie who will give them a chance to win now, and right now that's Luongo over Schneider.
Posted Image

#528 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Mark my words, if Luongo is traded the Canucks will pay dearly. In this case, we won't make the playoffs.

Schneider is NOT ready to play 60+ games in the league. The only reason he looked so good during the regular season was because he played a few spot starts. The one time he played 7 consecutive games he was blown out and let in 3 terrible goals on around 10 shots in a period. This guy is still a kid, nowhere near the professional Luongo is and he'll be lucky if he ever achieves what Lu has already.

Moreso, Eddie Lack is nowhere near close to starting in the NHL let alone playing 20 games, which is what we need from our backup if our starter is to play well in the playoffs.

Furthermore, if we go with Schneider that's basically a giant "F-U" to the rest of our core, who are hitting their prime now. Schneider is still a few years from his prime (no matter how well he's playing now, goalies take much longer to develop than regular skaters) and his prime would fit in much better with Gragnani's, Edler's, Kassian's, Tanev's, Schroeder's and Jensen's which is the future wave of the Canucks. By doing this we're essentially giving up on our core of the Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa and Edler who deserve a goalie who will give them a chance to win now, and right now that's Luongo over Schneider.

It's not like Schneider's playing in Phoenix and has to stand on his head like Mike Smith, I'm sure if Gillis wants to go with Schneider as starter he'll be bringing in a few decent Dmen and form a solid core in front of him.

He's 26 so I figure he's ready to take on the starting position.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#529 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:28 PM

I know I'll probably get flames for this cuz everyone hates Lu these days but please MG don't do it. Mark my words, it'll come back to bite you in the ass

No, not every Canuck fan "hates Lu". Not even close, but, he's smart enough to see the writing on the wall. I'm not necessarily happy about what looks like the end of the Luongo era, but, the team does come first and Schneider is far too talented to platoon (as is Luongo) or, worse, let sign elsewhere as a UFA if/when the time comes.

#530 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Tough to watch the video. Luongo was really emotional. I can tell how much he loves playing for this city even though the fans don't seem to appreciate his play.

Posted Image

#531 BabyBolland

BabyBolland

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

listen to this guy. he knows about as much hockey as a piece of brick. schneider has a better sv% through 33 games than luongo when he played 33 games. time to throw your theory the window. might as well throw yourself out while you're at it.

#532 RGC

RGC

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Are you related to Zippy or are you one and the same?

Please stop representing your own thoughts and opinion as fact. You can't possibly know what Roberto Luongo feels or thinks and the only ego I see beginning to shine through, again, is your own......IMHO, of course. <_<

Clearly a lot of what is going to be stated over the next few months by fans will be their opinion. They don't need to say it's their opinion if it's a subjective statement, the subjectivity clearly shows that it is their opinion. This is the same if you're writing an essay or something, rarely do you say 'I think' or 'in my opinion' because it should already be clear based on the subjectivity of the statement at hand.

#533 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Tough to watch the video. Luongo was really emotional. I can tell how much he loves playing for this city even though the fans don't seem to appreciate his play.

I think they do appreciate his play, but they have seen him melt down enough to no longer have faith in him in net. Whenever I watch Luongo play I can never tell which Luo will show up.

#534 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

listen to this guy. he knows about as much hockey as a piece of brick. schneider has a better sv% through 33 games than luongo when he played 33 games. time to throw your theory the window. might as well throw yourself out while you're at it.

Just cause you are "Baby" Bolland does not mean you get to talk like you are "goo-gooing" at everything .. comeback when you have all your baby teeth .. go on now .. <_<

Edited by Tearloch7, 24 April 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#535 Kubrick

Kubrick

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Can deals be made by non-playoff teams? I know they used to...
Posted Image

#536 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Lui to Florida for Gudbranson ..

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again! WE DO NOT NEED LUONGO.

#537 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:44 PM

Nonis also traded for Lu

#538 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again! WE DO NOT NEED LUONGO.

If the coaching staff want Cory as their starter then they do.

#539 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Luongo for Lecavalier
Kesler, Edler, Booth, 1st for Toews, Kane

Posted Image

#540 Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Strombone @strombone1
Chin up Charlie @notbobbylu ur still the best French Italian goalie in the league in my books!

Go Canucks Go

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.