Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#541 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Our weak link isn't goaltending right now. I think most people believe that either guy can be a number 1.

IMO whichever trade can improve our defence the most needs to be done. Our D is the biggest area of concern.

I'm sure there are some people that think it's goal scoring, but the fact is, when our D spend most of their shifts trying to get the puck out of our own zone, the offence is going to suffer. There's a reason why when Ehrhoff left that our offence began to take a dip.

Gillis needs to find a replacement puck mover that can play at both ends and play on the PP. Basically the number 1 that we've been neding forever.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#542 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again! WE DO NOT NEED LUONGO.

No need to shout lad .. we HEARD you the third time .. :towel:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#543 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I think down unda should stick to Ozzie Rules football or hes been down unda too long !!

#544 MikeyBoy44

MikeyBoy44

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

At least if it did happen Gillis wouldn't hang Loungo like Columbus' gm did. It was nice of Nash to take the hit for his team to grow and didn't deserve that treatment. Another reason I am fully trusting in our management.
Posted Image

#545 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

It really wouldn't matter whether we had Luongo or Schneider in goal to make the playoffs but if we want to play tight playoff hockey, I'd go with Schneider . Luo has not shown he can win the big ones for us. His stats in the playoffs never equal his seasons stats.

#546 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

much as i hate luongo... Schneider should be the one to go...

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#547 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,630 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

How is Luongo being run out of town? He's being outplayed.

You Luongo haters just never stop!!

He's pretty much said he will leave and you still continue to bash him, you've got what you want, what else do you want?

Can you just have some class and respect towards the guy for once, he's being classy and mature about this whole situation after saving this team, and making this team what they are.

He's the reason we have this great team, and he has to leave, I understand it but it's sad, but anyways you have you've got your way, now stop.

I'm just happy he won't have to take this crap from some of our classless, ungrateful fans. (not saying u necessarily but in general)

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 24 April 2012 - 06:58 PM.

zackass.png

#548 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well played Luongo.

I think this comes down to Luongo not being so much a "saint" as Hockeyville88 put it, but rather coming down to a game of chess. Luongo was able to say to the public he is willing to be moved, but has put the responsibility on Gillis to demand the trade. This makes Luongo look like a saint, while if Gillis does ask Luongo to waive his NTC, then Gillis looks like a complete jerk.

I think this is Luongo's way of guilt tripping Gillis into finding a way to keep both goaltenders. This makes Luongo look like a complete team player (which has seemed to be characteristic of him lately) yet makes Gillis look coldhearted.

As far as the players go, I think Schneider should be our starting goaltender next season.

Facts for the this years playoffs: Schneider earned 100% more wins than Luongo did. Schneider had a save percentage of .960 while Luongo was at .891. Schneider's GAA was at 1.31 while Luongo's is at 3.59.

Facts for the regular season: Schneider earned 20 wins in 28 starts, Luongo earned 31 wins in 54 starts. Schneider had a save percentage of .937, while Luongo had a save percentage of .919. Schneider had a GAA of 1.96, Luongo had a GAA of 2.41.

Schneider was simply the better goaltender this year.

Or it is simply you and those of your ilk seeing what you want to see. What type of misconstrued logic would be required to take something good and team-first said by Luongo to be some deceptive plot to guilt-trip people into letting him stay? Ridiculous. You and others can at least appreciate the fact that what he said was entirely team-first, and not bad in any way, instead of trying to make it out to being something bad just because you have a hard on for Schneider. Fact of the matter is, yes, Cory played better than Luongo over the number of games he played, but it is also a fact that Luongo took more crap than anyone else and did not play bad either. It is actually surprising he hasn't left with all the crap he gets here, but I guess there is something called loyalty and a team mentality that might factor into him still being here.

#549 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

much as i hate luongo... Schneider should be the one to go...

why should he be the one to go?

#550 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

To me this is heartbreaking, It's personal..you develop a relationship with these guys, they become a part of your life, A Big part, They give memories for a life-time, good and bad...I have a feeling of what's going to happen with Luongo but all I have to say is that I'd rather win the cup with him then with out him. It won't feel right, He deserves it. Class act.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#551 blueyedevil71

blueyedevil71

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Luongo had his ups and downs... I kinda feel for the guy to tell you the truth..This truly is the goalie graveyard... Good luck Luongo wherever you end up.

#552 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

trade him for Hodgson.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... good one.

Edited by Neversummer, 24 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#553 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Luongo wants out of Vancouver and I don't blame him.

I'm still ok with booking your ticket as well. Didn't you say if Lou is in Tampa you will go as well?

#554 blunttime69

blunttime69

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

why should he be the one to go?

0-10 in the AHL playoffs, 1-5 in the NHL playoffs, 7-5-1 vs playoff calibre teams this year. How do we know he doesn't turn out a bust? Id rather not take that chance and stick with Luongo who has faced more adversity than any other player on the planet, and has bounced back from bad games and has been stunning. This team and the fans would regret this move

#555 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Question is if Luongo gets traded, will Gillis drive him to the airport?

#556 Karan01

Karan01

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hopefully he takes Bieksa with him......

#557 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

0-10 in the AHL playoffs, 1-5 in the NHL playoffs, 7-5-1 vs playoff calibre teams this year. How do we know he doesn't turn out a bust? Id rather not take that chance and stick with Luongo who has faced more adversity than any other player on the planet, and has bounced back from bad games and has been stunning. This team and the fans would regret this move

I doubt Schneider made it all the way to the Calder cup without winning a AHL playoff game

#558 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Cory has played in 34 AHL playoff games. His record is 17-15.

#559 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

The writing was on the wall. This has been coming for a long time now. Gotta give Luongo respect for the way he's handling the situation. I never bought into his reputation for being self-centered and a loudmouth. He always seemed like a down-to-earth, classy, well-spoken guy to me. As a person, I like Luongo...but this comes down to what is best for the team.

#560 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

im sorta saddened by this.. it looks almost certain that Lu's time in Vancouver is near its end. He was my inspiration to play goaltender myself, i'll be sad to see him go if he is dealt. :(

tumblr_lxk4f2YfMc1qaosmto1_400.gif

#561 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

im sorta saddened by this.. it looks almost certain that Lu's time in Vancouver is near its end. He was my inspiration to play goaltender myself, i'll be sad to see him go if he is dealt. :(

Look at the bright side. If he's traded it will most likely be to an eastern team where the media and fan base will not try to bury him alive after a bad game.

#562 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Too many people on here acting like Luongo's already gone...

He hasn't been traded and he's not likely going to be. His contract is too big, and it would be too difficult to work out a trade that got us any value.

Schneider will be traded at the draft, mark my words.

Edited by DeNiro, 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image

#563 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'll quote you on that.

The damage has been done.

#564 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Too many people on here acting like Luongo's already gone...

He hasn't been traded and he's not likely going to be. His contract is too big, and it would be too difficult to work out a trade that got us any value.

That would be exciting. I wonder what he would fetch at the draft?

#565 linden16kesler17

linden16kesler17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

Just a thought.

I love Schneider, I love the way he has been so articulate with the media and saying the right thing almost all the time.

I also really like Lu, especially this new (to us) very team oriented Lu that probably was there before but we couldn't usually hear because of his foot in his mouth (or the media placing it there)

One thing I did notice today watching the Lu and Schneids interviews today.

Lu talked about what the team needed to do, if they wanted him to move, waive his NTC, he would for the team.

CS, on the other hand, talked about him wanting to be a starter, his age etc etc. He didn't seem particularly attached to this team, it's goals and what happens with him staying or going. He did say that he'd like to start and 'if it's here that's great', but it felt like more of a toss out comment where Lu really seemed to be speaking from the heart.

I don't know, I just felt I had to mention it.

#566 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 25,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

It shouldn't be a shocker that Luongo wants to be a Canuck for the rest of his career. He did sign a 12 year contract to stay here.

Loyalty like that shouldn't just be dismissed. It's clear that Schneider would be happy playing anywhere.

Posted Image

#567 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Just a thought.

I love Schneider, I love the way he has been so articulate with the media and saying the right thing almost all the time.

I also really like Lu, especially this new (to us) very team oriented Lu that probably was there before but we couldn't usually hear because of his foot in his mouth (or the media placing it there)

One thing I did notice today watching the Lu and Schneids interviews today.

Lu talked about what the team needed to do, if they wanted him to move, waive his NTC, he would for the team.

CS, on the other hand, talked about him wanting to be a starter, his age etc etc. He didn't seem particularly attached to this team, it's goals and what happens with him staying or going. He did say that he'd like to start and 'if it's here that's great', but it felt like more of a toss out comment where Lu really seemed to be speaking from the heart.

I don't know, I just felt I had to mention it.

Cory does not have a contract for next year. He has no idea what his future holds.

Luongo on the other hand is tied to the team for 10 more years and has a NTC.

#568 BabyBolland

BabyBolland

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

not sure what has more intelligence, you or my toaster.

#569 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

I will miss Luongo if he gose what am i gonna do with my Luongo Jerseys if he gose?
Posted Image

#570 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Weber, Suter, Nash etc... anyone would help us more that Lui
I Love Lamp...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.