Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#691 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,705 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

If anyone should go, it should be AV.... Team needs a new coach!!!

So get rid of the winningest coach in Canucks history with the most playoff appearances?

Edited by Heretic, 25 April 2012 - 11:40 AM.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#692 RO8!!

RO8!!

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yea, but everyone knew that Carter and Richards had issues with their comittment to hockey. Obviously Philly had enough of it.

Luongo has been nothing but a champ and a warrior for this team. He's been involved in the community, he's captained the team, he's mentored young players including Schneider. He's genuinely proud to be a Canuck.

Schneider on the other hand just looks like he's biding his time until he can get a ticket out of here.

So you agree with me? I never said anything about attitudes just long term contracts being moved recently and more so you validated my point by saying Luongo is more committed to hockey then those others. I know they didn't get a kings ransom for them but they were moved for some decent young players showing that it is possible, I do worry about Schneider's attitude over this whole thing just like you do. It is going to be a long off season with lot of bad trade proposals for both goalies.

"Hey this milk is bad. Maybe tomorrow it'll be better."

Canucks NYG Celtics Fan

#693 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

I didn't say nobody would want Loungo. I know a lot of teams would like to have him....well....given his contract, a few teams probably would like to have him. What I was suggesting was that nobody would want him and his contract and history, over Schneider and his contract (or lack thereof) and his potential. That's why, when Schneider is available via offer sheets, why would anyone trade valuable players for Luongo? That's why Luongo does not get traded before Schneider gets signed, but then how do the owners sign Schneider without moving Luongo? Especially without being able to gaurantee Schneider that #1 role that he clearly is looking for. Luongo is too good, too proud, and too bloody expensive to play back-up. Schneider is too good, too hungry, and has too much potential to agree to continue to play back-up. You can't have both, and I don't see you moving Luongo while Schneider is available to other teams, and I don't see Schneider agreeing to sign while Luongo is still around...therefor, I don't see Luongo being traded.

I agree, there are a few teams that may want him, but given the circumstances, I'd say they would rather take a risk on Schneider than a risk on Luongo

I responded to your previous post but I understand better what you're talking about after reading this post. It is a very tough situation for Gillis, no doubt. My thoughts are if the team wants to go the Schneider route, they should get Schneider locked up first. Given Luongo's comments to the media yesterday and what transpired in the playoffs as Schneider took the reins, I believe there might exist some mutual agreement between Luongo and Canucks brass about parting ways and I believe Schneider is or will be fully aware of that so he likely wouldn't have a problem signing long term with the Canucks with Luongo still in the fold,

The next step is trading Luongo. You said that signing Schneider before dealing Luongo is risky, which it is, but I don't think it's as risky as you think. If the Canucks sign Cory, it takes him off the market. If other teams need a goalie bad enough they will have to accept that and consider Luongo. What's Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay going to say if Schneider is signed? "Fine then, I'll just go sign Marty Turco!". No, he's going to consider the next best possible option, no matter how much he coveted Schneider.

That's why I think the Canucks are better off to get Schneider signed right off the bat, assuming the Canucks, Luongo, and Schneider all have a little pow wow and come to an understanding of the situation.

#694 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Everyone is far too emotional about this situation. Of course everyone involved is going to have the outward stance being for the team etc. The reality is having 2 elite calibre goaltenders on a single team does not work.

Every player in the league is professional, and wants to play - no one wants to just sit on the bench and collect a cheque.

I have to believe that Gillis (with the realization of his remarks regarding the Hodgson trade) has done with Schneider exactly what was done with Hodgson - by design played him to something that can be traded and receive the most value for.

I've been Luongo's greatest critic for a long time, simply because he is such an elite player you can't not hold him to such high standards of expectation. With that being said, there are two realistic paths unfolding:

1. Gillis let's AV go, keeps Luongo and trades Cory Schneider.

• Comments made during his presser, regarding the emotional balance of the team, peaking in January, not being able to adjust in the LA series. IMO because of how Gillis operates (by committee) the onus is just as much on the head coach as it is on the associate coaching and scouting staff, the reality is the head coach on any team is the lightning rod for blame before it arcs to the GM. If AV goes, the rest of the associate coaching staff goes as well with the scouts getting the memo to be a bit more diligent and proactive moving forward.
  • Luongo despite his slow starts plays phenomenally if streaky at times and has struggled in the post season, this I believe can be linked more directly to the coaching and preparation for series, or lack thereof.
  • Easiest goaltending asset to move is Schneider of the two. Given that Schneider is RFA, there is still value to his rights as whichever team trades for him can simply match any offer sheets tendered, or can simply qualify and work at their own pace to sign Schneids to a long term deal. Trade value could realistically net a solid T6 player that has the ability to get to the middle of the ice, generate more chances off the rush and provide toughness; a player like Jordan Staal comes to mind (though it's unrealistic given Pittsburgh's current goaltending situation)
2. Gillis keeps AV, trades Luongo and keeps Cory Schneider.
  • Realizing there aren't a lot of high calibre coaches available, the level of familiarity with the core, the team playing with more confidence with CS in net AV is kept on. I wouldn't be a fan of this, however I can understand how it makes the most sense.
  • Luongo for everything he has done for whatever reason has lost the coaches confidence. When it comes to an individual player vs the rest of an entire team, and when that rest of the team plays better with the other option in net it makes sense to move the "trouble player" - that's not to imply that RL is in any way a problem, he has been nothing but the consummate professional and may just simply no longer "fit" in Vancouver. Luongo despite his contract still has amazing value trade wise and for what Luongo provides, his cap hit is more than manageable.
  • Cory Schneider has earned the nod of approval from management, coaching and the team alike. For everyone saying "we don't know if Schneider can handle the load, he's never proven that he can play an entire season", you're already beginning his tenure as the bona fide #1 in a negative context. How about we give the individual the benefit of the doubt, he's played amazing when asked and rarely has a bad game. This is more of a testament to his mental strength and preparation than simply having played in a lot of games, because it proves that he has amazing focus and is ready for every game regardless if he plays or not.
IMO it's either one or the other. The compromise is standing pat which I cannot fathom being acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. Changes need to be made, but not wide sweeping.

A significant case can be made for either option, fire the coaching and introduce a new system, keep Luongo and move Schneider to bolster the roster or keep the system in place and move a player that doesn't fit with the team any longer and still bolster the roster.

The second option however is far more risky for Gillis, as he may not have the free reign to offer an extension to AV. In essence, if it doesn't work next season (Gillis and AV both entering the last years on their respective contracts), then ownership may decide to make wholesale changes and blow up the core (like Philadelphia did) and move out the entire management and coaching staffs and restructure.

It's entirely possible that ownership postures such that they give the mandate to Gillis to offload Luongo's contract and keep Schneider thinking long term.

I like your train of thought but I have one question. Why does the option of firing the coach only exist in one scenario? Why can't the team decide to move forward with Schneider and fire AV? In my opinion, besides the goaltending situation the coaching situation is the biggest and most necessary change for this team. Whether the Canucks go with Luongo or Schneider, AV has to go.

#695 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I responded to your previous post but I understand better what you're talking about after reading this post. It is a very tough situation for Gillis, no doubt. My thoughts are if the team wants to go the Schneider route, they should get Schneider locked up first. Given Luongo's comments to the media yesterday and what transpired in the playoffs as Schneider took the reins, I believe there might exist some mutual agreement between Luongo and Canucks brass about parting ways and I believe Schneider is or will be fully aware of that so he likely wouldn't have a problem signing long term with the Canucks with Luongo still in the fold,

The next step is trading Luongo. You said that signing Schneider before dealing Luongo is risky, which it is, but I don't think it's as risky as you think. If the Canucks sign Cory, it takes him off the market. If other teams need a goalie bad enough they will have to accept that and consider Luongo. What's Steve Yzerman in Tampa Bay going to say if Schneider is signed? "Fine then, I'll just go sign Marty Turco!". No, he's going to consider the next best possible option, no matter how much he coveted Schneider.

That's why I think the Canucks are better off to get Schneider signed right off the bat, assuming the Canucks, Luongo, and Schneider all have a little pow wow and come to an understanding of the situation.

I agree, it makes 0 sense (hockey and business) not to sign Cory first. If we don't sign Cory, and trade Lu, then Cory walks, what do we have left? A real goalie graveyard. Step one for GMMG is to sign Cory. Hands down. Trading his rights won't get us a good pay back because Cory could still walk from the other team. If we sign Cory, we have to option to trade one of them then.

EDIT: corrected spelling

Edited by Thanos, 25 April 2012 - 10:18 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#696 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

This is exactly how more people need to think. Have two phenomenal goalies split a season, 41 games each, both fully rested and playing they're A-game every night! This mentality of having a #1 and a backup has to stop.

In what world would Luongo and Schneider be ok with that situation? Yes, it's a dream scenario for us fans but we're not the ones at a crossroads in our careers. Put yourself in their shoes. As much of a consummate teammate as both are, neither wish to continue with the current setup long term. They both deserve to be the go-to guy and they've both earned that right. This point has been made several times the last little while. Even if both goalies actually did agree to split starting duties, Schneider has earned a healthy raise and no team can afford to spend 5.33 on Luongo AND whatever Schneider will be making starting next year. You're looking at $8 - $9 million or even more on goaltending. That's absurd.

People have to realize the split is not going to happen. At the very most, I could see Schneider agreeing to sign for one more season in tandem in tandem with Luongo until he hits UFA status next summer but that's absolutely it. Besides, I don't think management wants to go the tandem route for much longer either. With Schneider progressing like he has, the situation has become borderline awkward and distracting. Gillis said as much in his presser when he mentioned that Schneider's progression into not only a good goaltender but an elite goaltender has changed the landscape completely. It's no longer feasible to go with both.

#697 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

To Chi:
Roberto Luongo

To Van:
Duncan Keith :P

I would do it in a heartbeat, hah, but they wouldn't

Edited by TimberWolf, 25 April 2012 - 11:05 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#698 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

Cool - looks like we both staterd cheering for them the same year!

First game I saw was the Hawks with Tony O in net.

I saw Tony O three times during the 70's..............my favourites to watch were the Habs, Bruins and Flyers, though Gilbert Perreault was the most exciting player I'd seen, short of Bobby Orr and Gretzky.......more than Mario, imo

#699 Li'l Fra

Li'l Fra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I guess the media needed to "scoop" each other and there was no chance to put the "goalie conundrum" on hold for a few days, but dang I feel bad for Luongo.

It just feels lame and disrespectful to be beating him, and Schneider, to death with this same storyline.

Luongo did a lot to bring respect to this organization, two years ago he pledged himself to us for the duration of his career. He's the best goalie the Canucks have ever had. He's been getting a pretty bad rap despite playing consistently awesome hockey for us.

Now he's being hustled out the door. It doesn't feel right.

#700 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Too many people on here acting like Luongo's already gone...

He hasn't been traded and he's not likely going to be. His contract is too big, and it would be too difficult to work out a trade that got us any value.

Schneider will be traded at the draft, mark my words.

Luongo is gone, read between all the lines of the last day. Sad day for him but Cory is taking over as number 1. Let's make a bet for 50 bucks whether he is traded or not... agree?

#701 Sedintron

Sedintron

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have to admit, this whole NTC deal is pretty quick, considering things. I mean, I get that the post season didn't exactly go very well, but the whole Schneider instead of Luongo issue is just too confusing at the moment

Posted Image

#702 jovocop55

jovocop55

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

luongo won't get much in trade.. maybe a draft pick and a 3rd liners or 2 pair dmen at best..

#703 VMR

VMR

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

luongo won't get much in trade.. maybe a draft pick and a 3rd liners or 2 pair dmen at best..

I think if he is gone, he will get us something good.

Then again I think too much.

Edited by VMR, 25 April 2012 - 12:17 PM.

They are my team!
Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image
Thank you VC!!!!!

#704 Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

we'd get better return for Schnieder IMO. Would rather trade him

Go Canucks Go

#705 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

The decision is really simple, keep the 33 yr old goalie whose probably have 3-4 good years left in him OR keep the other goaltender thats 6 years younger thats just entering his prime?

Worst case scenerio is we trade CS:

- Luongo relaxes now that he doesnt have CS breathing down his neck.
- Gets back to his prima donna attitude now that we dont have any other option to play in net.
- Decides he doesnt want to play here anymore and demands a trade leaving us with no replacement.

It's easier to trade CS 4-5 years down the road than it is to trade Luongo when he's 37-38 with a 5m dollar CAP HIT.

Seriously people, put aside your emotions and see the big picture. CS Is the better option for this teams future.

We would end up like NJ with an aging ex superstar with a cap hit of 5m and we'd constantly be looking for a backup.

A fresh start for the Canucks and Luongo is the best for both.

Lets give CS a chance to prove he can handle the regular season load before we write him off (talking to Luongo fans). At one point of Luongo and every star goaltenders careers, they were all unproven... so lets stop the "CS is unproven" garbage.

#706 Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Don't.Mess.With.Kes<3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Strombone @strombone1
What ever your going through @notbobbylu just ask yourself this question.... What would FUHRsee do? And everything will be alright!#idol

aw I love Lu! love the reference to his idol Fuhr in this tweet hahah

Go Canucks Go

#707 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

Do we want to pretend to be NJ with an aging Brodeur or go with the young guy that runs a clinic every time he plays?

#708 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

Going by the post you chose to quote......you're going to base all this ^^^ on some tweet from a HABS reporter? Okaaaaay........

Rumours and speculation as fact.........I must be on CDC. :rolleyes:

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph
Toronto is indeed on Roberto Luongo's list of teams he'll submit to #canucks GM Mike Gillis and it should come as no surprise Tampa Bay is 2

james duthie@tsnjamesduthie
Sources say Roberto Luongo will submit a short list of teams he'd waive his no-trade to go to next week. Toronto will be on it.

Kudos to the Habs reporter for breaking the news.

Perhaps provide your own opinion next time, rather than criticize others' needlessly. My opinion that Roberto is hastily trying to leave Vancouver still stands, and is supported by: the speed and haste of such an important, career-changing decision, Roberto's desire to be the team's undisputed starter rather than share starting duties, as well as past judgments about his ego.

Now that Dan Murphy, the Canucks' beat reporter, has reported that Toronto is on the list, perhaps winning the Stanley Cup isn't as big a deal to Roberto as being the face of Canada's most popular franchise and reuniting with his former goalie coach, Francois Allaire.

Roberto is chasing himself out of Vancouver. It isn't the fans. Roberto wants to secure a starting position, even if it means playing for Toronto. This is about him. To those who want to blame the fans for this, you shouldn't. Roberto is calling the shots, and he apparently wants out. You may cheer for Roberto's team to win before the Canucks as a way to spite this organization, but remember he is the one deciding to leave. Nobody is pushing him out except himself (and maybe Cory Schneider).

Edited by WeatherWise, 26 April 2012 - 04:38 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#709 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

This just in...

Nick Kypreos@RealKyper

#SNPlayoffs #Canucks Luongo asks for trade. Van didn't even need to ask him to waive NTC. He tells them himself in exit meeting he wants out

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#710 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

Perhaps provide your own opinion next time, rather than criticize others' needlessly.

Situation fixt! ;)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 26 April 2012 - 08:34 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#711 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Toronto, eh?

I wonder what all the armchair "experts" that confidently stated that 'Luongo would win a cup before Vancouver will' are thinking now?
Posted Image

#712 Cause=Time

Cause=Time

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:42 PM

Ugh, I remember that play like it was yesterday. It was the turning point of that series, but I don't think of this organization. In fact, we've only gotten better from there haven't we?

I was thinking it was a turning point in terms of Luongo's confidence in himself as a playoff goaltender.

Posted Image

MERCY YEARS - Debut EP out now! - Check it out at mercyyears.com

#713 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

Luongo isn't Being run out of town or pressured in any way. He's a real professional and also been a fan of the game his whole like. He knows hockey better than anyone here and lives this business every day.. He's not on the Internet everyday creating fantasy teams to take him to the finals.

He's a professional goalie that understands the situation.. Vancouver drafted a goalie that developed into possibly one of the best goalies in the NHL. This kid is like 6 yrs younger than him and is better from a technical stand point. Lu knows he's a damn good goalie himself but knows the advantages to the team in the long run going with Cory.. It's not who's better because they're both good but just what makes sense.

We can speculate on Cory's talent level or if he's the real deal or not but nobody in the world knows more about that than luongo. Maybe he sees the best goalie in the world in the making and is giving the team the right to choose him.

#714 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Kudos to the Habs reporter for breaking the news.

Perhaps provide your own opinion next time, rather than criticize others' needlessly. My opinion that Roberto is hastily trying to leave Vancouver still stands, and is supported by: the speed and haste of such an important, career-changing decision, Roberto's desire to be the team's undisputed starter rather than share starting duties, as well as past judgments about his ego.

Now that Dan Murphy, the Canucks' beat reporter, has reported that Toronto is on the list, perhaps winning the Stanley Cup isn't as big a deal to Roberto as being the face of Canada's most popular franchise and reuniting with his former goalie coach, Francois Allaire.

Roberto is chasing himself out of Vancouver. It isn't the fans. Roberto wants to secure a starting position, even if it means playing for Toronto. This is about him. To those who want to blame the fans for this, you shouldn't. Roberto is calling the shots, and he apparently wants out. You may cheer for Roberto's team to win before the Canucks as a way to spite this organization, but remember he is the one deciding to leave. Nobody is pushing him out except himself (and maybe Cory Schneider).

Schneider's desire also is to be the starter! Why are you vilifying Luongo for being in exactly the same position and wanting the same thing as Schneider? Either way, one is going to go. There won't be a platoon situation next year, regardless of if Luongo doesn't want it that way or wants it that way.

I just can't believe you're faulting Luongo for wanting to be a starter. Unreal. By the way, Cory Schneider is quoted as saying to the media that he thinks he deserves to be a starter as well. I guess he's only thinking about himself too, right?

Edited by NuxFan09, 28 April 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#715 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

I still don't understand why Toronto will be on the list. I have heard the different reasons why he would choose to have Toronto on his list but I still don't understand it. Just doesn't makes sense to me.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.