The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

Strombone1

Interesting...

Bottom line, one of them is going to have to go. I feel bad for Luongo, but at the same time, when you come to Vancouver, you have to expect and be willing to take on hard-nosed and whiny fans. I hope Schneider is up for that.

If we do end up going with Schneider, the only thing I ask is that Gillis doesn't sign him to another ridiculous long contract with a NTC. Gillis is lucky to have Luongo to be so willing in waiving his NTC; otherwise, this whole process with the two goaltenders could have taken much longer, but with Luongo's generosity, he's just made it that much easier for us fans and Gillis. Bottom line, something needs to happen with this team, a first round exit was not acceptable. You could argue that it was just one year, but with all the depth that was injected into this team, with a coach that couldn't execute accordingly with this great lineup, and with underachieving players, that all just speaks for itself. Folks, its the end of an era, or at least part of one. Someone is leaving.

Wow

When did this guy become such a saint? He used to be so self centered and now suddenly he's willing to take one for the team?

Amazing.

It's a tough situation because, IMO, it would be inexcusable to let Schneider walk but we'd be losing a fantastic goalie in Luongo as well

Good on him for his maturity. Best of luck to him in whatever happens

And FTR: he is not demanding a trade, he's simply allowing the Canucks that option should they decide to keep Schneider over him

This fan base is unbelievable. People forget that 2 years ago, this guy was our captain. We built our team around his outstanding play. You don't BUILD an entire team around just any goalie. I'm not by any means a Luongo-lover or anything, but I respect him as a player. I think he's elite, despite what some may believe. Playing in a hockey driven market is not an easy feat-- and sometimes, that brings even the best players down a notch... and I believe thats what happened with Luongo. He went from FLA to VAN-- can you imagine the mentality shift and the endless adjustments that he had to make?

The fact is, he was never really welcomed here by a minority of truly vile, outspoken people-- and they continued to bring Luongo down. The only time that he really was given a grand welcome was probably when people realized that the Bert for Luongo trade was actually the best thing to happen to this club in a long time.

Luongo has grown immensely from his first time here. He's learned how to handle the media. I really wish the best for this guy-- whether that be here or elsewhere. He knows the situation that he's in is a tough one but for him to say that his decision is one that won't be about him solely, but about the club is something else-- something we're not used to hearing from Luongo. Despite what many may believe, he's a class act.

Vancouver Canucks' Roberto Luongo willing to waive no-trade clause

'Yeah, of of course, if they ask me,' star goalie says of potential management move

VANCOUVER — Roberto Luongo said today he will waive his no-trade clause if Vancouver Canucks management feels this is the best move for the team.

Luongo, 33, has been the Canucks’ No. 1 goalie for six seasons but was replaced by 26-year-old Cory Schneider for the final three games of the playoffs. Luongo has 10 years and roughly $47 million remaining on his long-term contract. Schneider, meanwhile, is finishing a two-year deal in which he was paid $900,000 per season. He is in line for an extremely large raise.

“Yeah, of course, if they ask me to,” Luongo replied when queried about his appetite to waive the no-trade clause. “I don't want to be one of those guys who is going to stand in the way of anything. I always want to put the team ahead of me. I don't want to be one of those selfish guys.

“Obviously they have a guy here who is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years so I'm okay with it. It is a business and that's the way it goes. I've loved being here the last six years. If I'm here in the future, then great. If I'm not, that's good also.”

Luongo said the next move is up to the team. He has already met with GM Mike Gillis and they plan to meet again.

“Even though I have a no-trade, it is not my decision,” Luongo continued. “It's a very unique circumstance, I think, that we're in where we have an elite young guy who is up and coming and is probably going to dominate the league for many years. So I'm not sure what I would do if I was GM.

“I've learned over the course of my career that things change quickly,” he added. “With anything, you don't want to look too far ahead because life has a lot of curve balls.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1szFjxsNx

N0 - they are not. Hockey is a businuess not a family. It is important to treat players fairly and with respect but in the end of the day decisions that put the team first must be made. Both goalies are star quality - If we can't keep both from a point of view of what is the best for the Canucks on a go forward basis I see more value in keeping Cory - if we where to look back over which has up till this point done more for the Canucks its Lou hands down.

So long as the Canucks make the decision on which is going and work with the one leaving to respect to the best of their ability the choice of teams to land - then in no means would I agree that we are hanging him or Cory out to dry. Both goailies are #1 goalies and although Lou may be the better of the 2 for the next year or so - if you look at what is best for the Canucks over the next 5 or 10 years - Cory is the best businuess choice in my opinion

Nobody is saying the fans affect decisions made by management. However, it's a completely different story when a goalie is repeatedly reviled, jeered, has the failures of the team heaped on his shoulders by media and fans alike. You think that doesn't have an effect on them? That it wouldn't make them reconsider staying in a city where he gets nothing but crap in the newspapers, on radio, on television and from the fans? You don't think THAT has an effect on whether a guy would consider waiving an NTC???????

Yea :(

...Media in Vancouver and the stupid retarded fans can suck it...basically forced Lu to say he'll go it the team wants, and some retard fans can't even support a goalie on a consistent basis. And talking about consistency, its not every game Lu is going to have a shutout....every player has his ups and downs, so there's nothing different when Lu has them.

I wish Lu leaves now cause of this...seems as if he doesn't feel welcomed here anymore, and it was cause of him so many players came here to play along side an elite goalie that gave them a chance that no other person could. He deserves better than the cr@p he gets here for breaking goalie records, staying humble, and being the best goalie in Canucks history, and for the media and dumb@ss fans, I wish you guys are happy if he leaves and Schneid's starts sucking....would come to show you don't run out the best in the world for no reason.

Where ever Lu goes, I'll be with him 100% and I'll just laugh when you guys cry that our goaltending isn't good and FA's aren't signing with us anymore.

If the Canucks openly state Cory is staying and Lou is going - Lou's value drops. Heaven forbid the canucks do what is best for the canucks - put it out there that potentially both goalies are in play ( thus driving the value up ). One of the 2 is most likley on the move - alot will depend on what is offered and which offer improves the team the best.

Well, we knew one goalie would likely be going. I don't see how you can afford to keep them both. It's a luxury, but Cory will demand 3.0 mil at least and Lou makes a good amount. Lou should be in net for 60-65 games at his cap hit.

Either way keeping both is inefficient and we have other holes to plug. Gonna be an exciting off-season, hope the CBA doesn't caues chaos.

Archived