Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#181 windiddy0

windiddy0

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Actually til Zeimer "quotes" it...its all speculation.

Would rather hear the audio.

But then again most of you believe the media anyways.

It's been quoted. And just because there isn't audio doesn't make it a false quote. And I don't think "most of us" outwardly believe what the media states, it just leads to massive speculation. But in this case, that speculation from the media was actually a legitimate possibility, as can now be seen.
As for Luo, I've got total respect for him and his ability. However, it's clear he is unable to play with the pressure of a constant microscope on him, but I think that has more to do with the fact that he developed in a city where hockey is more or less their least concern. As for Schneider, he was born in a hockey town, and drafted and developed in a hockey town. Given their stats are so similar, I think age and poise are going to play the biggest role in what the outcome will be for these two spectacular netminders.

#182 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,469 posts

The point is Cory kept the games closer than Luongo did.

Exactly.
Posted Image

#183 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,557 posts

Luongo deserves to be treated as an all-star player because thats simply what he is. But please cut the crap on how Luongo is the only reason we got to the stanley cup finals last year, or that hes the reason we repeated as president trophy winners.

I lol'd

Ah Schneider fan-boys are so cute.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#184 snolan

snolan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Wow this is on the front page of tsn with the caption "waiving goodbye" mid-first round.

This has the potential to snowball rather quickly (and it would all be media driven).

Edited by snolan, 24 April 2012 - 12:40 PM.

CMON GUYS HAVE SOME FAITH! WE ARE GOING TO WIN. ANYONE CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT IF THEY WANT. YOULL SEE

-- 1st Period of Game 2 VS the Kings, 2012 Series

#185 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
:towel: :towel: :towel: :towel:

many nights you have made me stop in my tracks and think OMG!!

and then other night made me second guess your pay check..

alot of this :frantic: going on

#186 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Schneiders stats:

1.31 GAA, .960 S%

Luongos stats:

3.59 GAA, .891 S%

Regardless of the outcomes of games 1-5.... that is a STARK contrast in stats.

You wanna play the stats game now eh? Here, eat this:

Luongo has 339 NHL wins, Schneider has 38.

Luongo won Gold, Schneider not.

Luongo led the team to game 7 of the SC Finals, Schneider didn't even lead the team past 1 round. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luongo was voted hardest goaltender to score on a year or 2 ago by NHL'ers, Schneider not.

Luongo was a vezina finalist, Schneider not.

Therefore, Luongo >>>>> Schneider LOL!

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#187 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,872 posts

Philadelphia....Signed Richards and Carter during the Season to massive long term deals and trade them at the Draft. Jagr a big name free agent signs with them.

Your Theory Fails.

Didn't Jagr come from the KHL? He didn't exactly have any bargaining chips with him. If someone like Toews left to sign with them, it's a different scenario.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#188 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Luongo is a true competitor with all the respect in the world for our franchise.

Yet tons of our fan base are happy to see him go, but were outraged when Coho, a guy who disrespected our franchise by whining and requesting a trade mid season, left.

What a joke.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was overlap between fans who want Luongo to stay and those who were sad to see Hodgson go. A lot of this fanbase is reactionary and does not like serious changes.
Posted Image

#189 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

We scored 4 goals in the 3 games Schneider was in net.

The Canucks have scored 16 goals in the last 12 playoff games.

Schneider or Luongo can't score.... so where is the problem?I think it's pretty clear.

lol exactly that is the point I'm really trying to make...WE COULDN"T SCORE THIS SERIES AND IN THE SCF. even with out of this world goaltending we didn't win. Their are much bigger issues with this team and goaltending is not one of them.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#190 The Hansons

The Hansons

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

AHHAH!! Ya, like Gill to Preds!!

Ummmm......more like Cammalleri to the Flames.
Posted Image

#191 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,732 posts

lol Jagr?! give me a break, your theory fails. 2 teams were interested in Jagr, he is not a big name free agent anymore

First of all your theory FAILS!

2nd...Pittsburgh never traded any long term contracts, and Philly did. Jagr Chose Philly, if you pay them the players will come.

3rd.

Jagr had 54 points in an injury plagued regular season.

7 points in 6 playoff games so far.

He is a Big Name Free Agent.

Not many bigger names then Jaromir Jagr.

#192 StutterStep

StutterStep

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Won't be long before schneider is run out by this town too.
Limits like fears are often just an illusion

#193 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Going to be an interesting off-season. Pretty nice of Luongo to open up the options.

now we have more than just Florida and Tampa to work with. He's willing to be traded anywhere.

Washington, Columbus, Tampa, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida.

But I think he'll end up in either Minnesota or Toronto.

Backstrom only has 1 more year left and he's finished. Luongo would be the perfect replacement.

Luongo would fetch us a Luke Schenn or a Kadri.

I haven't seen that said anywhere at this point. He's certainly willing to waive it, but that doesn't mean he's giving up all approval on a deal.

As far as what he'd fetch, he could fetch both a Schenn and Kadri, with Schenn taking a step back and Kadri still working to keep a spot in the NHL. I'm not saying Burke would give them up for Lu, but I don't think we'd take just one or the other back for him either.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#194 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

Luongo led the team to game 7 of the SC Finals, Schneider didn't even lead the team past 1 round. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luongo was voted hardest goaltender to score on a year or 2 ago by NHL'ers, Schneider not.

Luongo has been playing in this league for a LOT longer than Schneider. Your stats are stupid because you can't compare the two players in those terms. You CAN compare the two players in regards to their stats this season. Schneider played better.

i1u6zif.gif

#195 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

Didn't Jagr come from the KHL? He didn't exactly have any bargaining chips with him. If someone like Toews left to sign with them, it's a different scenario.

Lol that makes zero sense. I guess we're good then because Toews is signed long term in Chicago so we had no chance at him anyways. So no big deal trading Luongo.

Another theory fail.

#196 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Everyone is assuming Schneider would actually want to stay in this hot mess of a city instead of going to a good team that is under much less scrutiny and without fickle fans. I don't think he is that impressed with Vancouver.

But if he did stay and Lu did go to Tampa, for example, and then went further with Stamkos and co. than Vancouver with Schneids.... ooh, now that would be funny.

#197 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

unless folks have been living under a rock - the knowledge that one of these 2 star goalies would be leaving the Canucks has been well known for several years. So much drama being injected into a situation that everyone knew was comming. If Lou goes folks complain we ran him out - If Cory goes folks complain we never gave him a chance....

Instead of looking to add to the drama look to what it will bring this team for next year - one of these 2 star goalies is on the move and will bring a great asset in return. All the drama in the world is not going to keep both of these great goalies in the same uniform next year - the time has come. I applaud both men for the great play they provided - To luo for leading the canucks to "yearly contender status" and to Cory for putting the team first and staying to grow as a back up and doing so with dignity ( people are forgetting that its not just important to treat Lou with respect but Cory has earned that right as well ).

My only wish on this matter is that the Canucks do what is best for the team ( and without seeing the trade offers we have no way of knowing what that is ), and that they do so in such a way that shows the profound respect and thanks we have for both of these great goalies.

One of the two are on the move folks - accept it.
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#198 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

it's terrible. i feel really bad about this situation

Cry baby

#199 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Won't be long before schneider is run out by this town too.

I give him 5 years max, if he stays

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#200 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

I lol'd

Ah Schneider fan-boys are so cute.

Your reasoning that the goaltender is the only reason our team gets anywhere is silly. We have two art ross trophy winners on our team, we have a selke winner. We don't have a Vezina winner. I think our offense got us those titles rather than our goaltending. Its not being a Schneider fanboy, its being a Canuck fan that wants the best chance at winning. Get over yourself.

Edited by Fateless, 24 April 2012 - 12:43 PM.

i1u6zif.gif

#201 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,816 posts

Schneiders stats:

1.31 GAA, .960 S%

Luongos stats:

3.59 GAA, .891 S%

Regardless of the outcomes of games 1-5.... that is a STARK contrast in stats.

Small sample sizes are only really indicative of the team's play in those games, rather than anything specific to the goalies.

His stats were still better in the regular season but that wold obviously be hard to maintain over more games.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#202 wesley

wesley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

All you said is ture.

But, by the same argument one can conclude Brodeur >>>>>> LU. Do we want to sign Brodeur for the next season?

#203 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 26,040 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Video of his interview
http://video.canucks...tid=6&id=174550
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#204 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Luongo and Schneider are both quality NHL starters. As a team, we would be better off trading Luongo as he would bring a greater return. We would also have a significant cost savings in Schneider.

Remember, this is a business, not pleasure.

#205 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,557 posts

Nnoooooo but I saw Schneider playing better with my own eyes! Schneider made a save and luongo let in a goal! I watched 5 games this season that were in the playoffs. And when Lu let goals in he was just bad. And Schneider let goals but he was good! I don't care about old stats about luongo it's all about new cool Schneider stats!!!!! When luongo gets traded we can finally win the Stanley cup!

(Schneider fan-boy impression)

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#206 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,469 posts

Small sample sizes are only really indicative of the team's play in those games, rather than anything specific to the goalies.

His stats were still better in the regular season but that wold obviously be hard to maintain over more games.

Trust me - I agree.

But the difference is still astounding in the playoffs and regular season.

Regular Season;

Luongo: 2.41 GAA .919 S%
Schneider: 1.96 GAA .937 S%
Posted Image

#207 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

The point is Cory kept the games closer than Luongo did.

All that matters in playoffs are wins and loses. So your satisfied with just keeping the games closer and not winning?

So your saying had Lu just kept the games closer in Boston, even though we still come up with the same outcome and no cup, you would be happy and satisfied?
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#208 Amaneey

Amaneey

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Luongo doesn't deserve the crap he gets from the fans, media, etc. He is a world class goaltender, it's unfortunate he is so under-appreciated. I would love to have either Luongo or Schnieds in net next season - I know we will do great with either guy in net.

That being said, I think it would be hard to part with cory after he had such a good season as a backup. He is young, still has lots of potential, room to grow, and get better.

Either way, I trust GMMG and I'm sure he will do what's best for the team.

#209 jcroams

jcroams

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Say what you will, we all bashed this guy at one point in anger. But i will say one thing, he was probably one of the best things that ever happened to this team. He brought joy, hope , and sadness to us all. If he does leave i will always remember him as a great vancouver canuck.

#210 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Damn, this really is going to be an interesting off-season.

It has become evident that Schneider provides the Canucks with a greater solution for the present and down the road (potentially) with a more friendly cap hit (to be determined).

I've always been a huge supporter of Luongo, and always will be. Trading him makes sense for both Luongo's sake, and the Canucks sake. I hope he goes to the Lightning and wins a cup with them.

I just hope Schneider will want to stay with us, and be received properly. Certainly there are lessons to be learned from the Luongo situation.

Who knows what will happen..
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.