Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 6 votes

[Confirmed] Luongo Willing To Waive Ntc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
714 replies to this topic

#241 Nosaj

Nosaj

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Because he's being treated like crap by fans and media alike. He's become a joke and a punchline, despite putting up some of the best numbers of his career. His numbers are near identical to his ones in the second year here. And yet, still, 0 respect.

There's no denying that Luongo is an amazing goalie; I would be ok with keeping him over Schneider provided that we got something out of the trade.

However, being the key player on the team means that reactions toward him will either be highly positive or highly negative. This is not a unique case in Vancouver, it is the same for any franchise in any sport.

None of this ultimately matters as the media and the fans aren't responsible for roster decisions. It comes down to the front office choosing between a proven but faulty veteran against a cheaper, and equally talented upstart.

Posted Image

#242 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

To you stats homers....might as well traded away Kesler, Edler, Higgins, Burrows, Booth, Lapierre while we're at it too then...

:picard:

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#243 I-miss-Wis

I-miss-Wis

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

I don't see how you guys can trade Luongo with that contract of his. Nobody wants to take on a 10 year contract at $5.3M a year.

#244 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

You serious? Stfu....its the bashers that wanted him out....us supporters have always wanted him here.....don't change the scenario.

Just because fans want Schneider to be here next year does NOT make them Luongo bashers.

The difference is that I'm a Canucks fan first, and any other allegiance I have to players comes second.

Schneider gave us a shot this year to get out of the first round, Luongo did not. Sure, it wasn't the goaltending in the first place, it was the rest of the team, but Schneider gave the team a shot. Not to mention his better stats through both the regular season and playoffs.

I want the Canucks to win, as much as I like Luongo, if having Schneider here means we have a better shot at the Stanley Cup, then I hope Schneider is here next year.

i1u6zif.gif

#245 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I fell bad for lui..... assuming we trade him in the offseason, i just hope schneids isn't the next victim of the "goalie graveyard"
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#246 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

I don't think it's so much about the fans as it is about Cory Schneider's sudden rise as an elite goaltender. Until this year, no amount of complaining would have resulted in Roberto being moved. Suddenly, another goaltender has proven he can match Roberto and outperform Roberto in net.

Cory has claimed the starting goaltender's position with his play, and the team has known all along that one goaltender needed to be moved by the time he reached RFA status. Everybody has realized that the goaltending tandem/two-goalie model is unsustainable, as Cory will receive a hefty raise this year. Roberto also might not want to split games evenly with Cory and sit on the bench for 41 games for the next several years. This is a pivotal moment in both of their careers, and in order for each of them to play 60+ games, they can not remain on the same team.

Everybody knew one goalie would be moved. It is a matter of deciding which goaltender should be kept, and Roberto knows it is Schneider. The fans had little to do with influencing how well Cory has risen to the task of challenging Roberto and claiming the starting job.

Edited by WeatherWise, 24 April 2012 - 01:05 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#247 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

IMO trading Schneider is sad but I'd get over it just like the Hodgson trade....but moving Luongo who has been a fixture in out net for almost 7 seasons and who can be argubly be our franchises best netminder...it would be devastating losing him.

2moy3iq.png

#248 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

The one with the bigger breasts.

(No, not being a pig, it's an old old joke)

LOL, dw its not being a pig....women shouldn't have their breasts out if they don't want guys too look at them lol
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#249 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Why? It's wasn't the fans decision to bench him for game 3.

#250 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Okay the team scored 8 goals in 7 games....not winning a cup with that, and how they got a 7 game series says it all but still gets blame?
Canucks only scored 8 goals again last series you know.

I've never been the one to blame a goaltender in a series where scoring is the issue. The problem is that it looks like we HAVE to decide between two goaltenders. Schneider has better stats, the team plays better in front of Schneider, Schneider is cheaper and younger.

I like Luongo, but I want the Canucks to win, if Schneider does that for us, then I want Schneider.

i1u6zif.gif

#251 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

We didn't run him out of town. The younger, better Canucks goaltender made him expendable.

#252 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

I don't think its' so much about the fans as it is about Cory Schneider's sudden rise as an elite goaltender.

Mike gillis made a comment comparing Vancouver to Columbus. What does that Tell you?

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#253 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

I'm gonna miss Roberto,he helped us get better.Played some awesome games and seasons.But life always changes and if it didn't we would never grow as people.Anyone who has a marriage fall apart or similar serious part of their life changed knows it's hard<basically blows goats>but usually you learned a lot about life and yourself from it and you grow.
So to Lu and Cory best to both of ya.You have both shown outstanding sportsmanship,drive,skill and patience and the want to be part of something bigger then yourselves.I hope you both have the chance to enjoy playing the game ya love for many more years.
I'll cheer for whoever the starter is next year because they will be a canuck,not by my choice the media or the fans if you think whats said on here or in the papers matters to management your dreaming.But between periods if the other is playing you can bet I'll be channel flicking and cheering you on also.

To Cory have a awesome summer getting stoked to be starter in the NHL
To Roberto enjoy some sun, them kids and relax.You have nothing to prove to anyone.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#254 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Kudos to him. I think the media has massively piled the pressure on these goalies, it'll be a shame if both go. But great respect to him for flowing with the team.

And no, this isn't his PC way of saying he wants a trade. Not in the slightest.
100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

View PostLiving Rapture, on 31 January 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#255 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Long time Luongo supporter here.

Where were you so called supporters before?

Luongo needs the change of scenery. Bring on the Schneider era.

#256 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,359 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

I guess I am just really confused.

Every time Luongo played a bad game, or let in some goals, everyone was flaming him and wanting him out of town.

Now he gets a microphone in his face, and talks with a sad voice..... and everyone wants him to stay?

CDC is not everyone. Mostly people just get louder when it's their turn to shine. Most of those in this thread wanting LU to stay or blaming the fans have had that stance all year.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#257 iwtl

iwtl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

He said that he would always do what is best for the team....classy response from Luongo.
MG also said that he would be happy to have both Schneider and Luongo next year. That would be great if both goalies accepted that they were a tandem with no true # 1 guy.

Lou is too good to be sharing the starting role - he thrives with workload and responsibility - Cory has earned the right to challenge for a starting position and be the #1 goalie on a team. We all knew this day was comming and quite frankly the 2 men in question are handling themsleves more proffessionally then the fans. They both understand its a businuess and you can't have two #1 goalies forever....
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite. -
John Kenneth Galbraith

"This is the first test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible value to him." - William Lyon Phelps

#258 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Kes was playing injured, he will be back to his beasat mode when he trains in the summer, since his NTC kicks in :). Booth, I kinda understand, he was traded here during the mid-season, so he needs to adapt to the plays and players and stuff. Lu is the classiest player there is, hes been GREAT with the Canucks!!!!!!!!!! Everyone is saying that, we would get a BETTER return if we trade Schneider, than we would with Lu. I'd rather fix up our depth, than our goalie, because our goalie was NOT THE PROBLEM THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#259 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Just because fans want Schneider to be here next year does NOT make them Luongo bashers.

The difference is that I'm a Canucks fan first, and any other allegiance I have to players comes second.

Schneider gave us a shot this year to get out of the first round, Luongo did not. Sure, it wasn't the goaltending in the first place, it was the rest of the team, but Schneider gave the team a shot. Not to mention his better stats through both the regular season and playoffs.

I want the Canucks to win, as much as I like Luongo, if having Schneider here means we have a better shot at the Stanley Cup, then I hope Schneider is here next year.

We won't have a better shot with Schnieds or Lu if our offense doesn't improve a lot...Its pretty clear
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#260 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Lu's willing (and probably wanting) to waive his no trade clause. It's official, we've pretty much run him out of town. I've been a Luongo supporter since day one, so I am really angry and upset right now. He was the reason we made the playoffs in 2007, he was the reason we became an elite team, he was the reason we made it to the finals, let alone didn't even get swept in them, and what did you guys do? "The Canucks lost one game, it was all Luongo's fault!" He's stolen more games then he has choked them! "Playoff underachiever?" Yeah that's why we made the finals. He's been trashed so much I wouldn't even want to stay here. I have so much respect for him for putting up with all of this. To all you Luongo haters (so about 80% of you) Good job, I hope you're happy. He hasn't been traded yet but it's pretty much unofficial that hes played his last game. Here is my sarcastic clapping for you. For Luongo, thank you for being the best damn goaltender we've ever had. Cory may become better, but you've lead us through some amazing times and helped us become the team we are now. You deserve better.

Mods I don't care if you lock this or not, I just needed to vent.

I'm with you on this. I still hope it doesn't come to this. Winningest goalie in team history and we're trying to drive him out of town. It will be interesting trying to sign free agents to a partially moronic (some same passionate) fanbase that chooses to eat their own.
Posted Image

#261 EV604

EV604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

His eyes were watering... Good thing he didnt blink, tears would have been flowing

#262 unbridled_id

unbridled_id

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

You have to find a team willing to take that contract.... It's not going to be easy and you will get back a less than desirable contract... I wish Lou the best... he isn't the goalie he was in years past but is still good.

I remember back in 07/08 when I had a fantasy team... I wanted Lou with my first pick no matter where I was slotted...

Edited by unbridled_id, 24 April 2012 - 01:03 PM.

"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

#263 Nevlach

Nevlach

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,020 posts

Everyone thinking Schneider is going to be the saviour of this club needs a reality check. Luongo is one of the best in the league and we're running him out of town (goalie graveyard for sure). Most fans like to blame the starter for problems and assert the backup would be better but both are human and with increased playing time I think everyone would see Schneider is good but the AMAZING best goalie in the world so many Canucks fans think.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#264 EV604

EV604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Trade Luongo for Cody Hodgson

#265 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

I hope everyone's happy. We've basically run the best goaltender we've ever had out of town. Our past captain, and a core member who has put up with everything we've thrown at him. Captain Kirk McLean and King Richard Brodeur are honoured in this city, while Roberto Luongo is treated like the court jester who people have grown tired of when he doesn't blow you away every time.

Good luck in the future Luongo. I'll be supporting you in the rest of your career, proudly wearing the jersey you signed for me.

Couldn't agree more. Would be such a shame if he does leave, but that cap space would be phenomenal. Could blow up in our face IF he leaves and Schneider can't perform at the level over a season, then he'd get scrutinised. Interesting time ahead.
100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

View PostLiving Rapture, on 31 January 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#266 Muse

Muse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

You wanna play the stats game now eh? Here, eat this:

Luongo has 339 NHL wins, Schneider has 38.

Luongo won Gold, Schneider not.

Luongo led the team to game 7 of the SC Finals, Schneider didn't even lead the team past 1 round. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luongo was voted hardest goaltender to score on a year or 2 ago by NHL'ers, Schneider not.

Luongo was a vezina finalist, Schneider not.

Therefore, Luongo >>>>> Schneider LOL!

I dont want to be that guy but , we had s good team up front for the olympics! And luongo almost made us lose it.

Sure he made us go to the scf but he let in 8 goals in the first round and 4th

Schneider is still young so saying he isnt a vezina finalist doesnt work

#267 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

We won't have a better shot with Schnieds or Lu if our offense doesn't improve a lot...Its pretty clear

Totally agree. We definetly need to fix our offensive production because it has been pathetic lately. With that said (bringing this back to deciding between two goalies), Schneider has been letting in less goals a game. If we have a goalie with a lower GAA, then technically we can afford to have a weaker offense. With that said, I really hope Gillis fixes our offense because it hasn't been the same since we traded Hodgson. We don't have the depth and our second line hasn't been producing.

i1u6zif.gif

#268 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Mike gillis made a comment comparing Vancouver to Columbus. What does that Tell you?

Gillis made that comment in jest, telling the media that the way people are discussing the team is as if the team had finished in last place and needed major changes.
The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#269 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,099 posts

To some of the Luongo fans here:

Can you please wait until next season at least before predicting Schneider will fail?

You are calling people out for running Luongo out of town and already doing the same to Schneider.

#270 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

LOL, dw its not being a pig....women shouldn't have their breasts out if they don't want guys too look at them lol

Yes, because we women have a button to push to make them retract, right? :P :lol:

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.