The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Was 1 Of 6 Targeted By Gillis. Who Are The Other 5?

rizzuto&hatoum

The '6th man' has been bothering me, I'm really curious. Then it dawned on me that AV is the most unique coach in the NHL. Given how radically and uniquely he uses his players, it should be easy to determine who the 6th man is. Here's what we know (facts):

A) Gillis told Friedman he was seriously thinking of building a Boston style team (i.e. Big and can take care of themselves)

B ) Gillis stated he wants to get bigger and younger

C) Canucks needs, roles that have to be filled:

1. 3rd line centre. But not just any centre - this position is required to play difficult minutes against top opponents every night (i.e Malhotra minutes). We know Hodgson didn't fit that mold, either would guys like Kadri.

2. Top 4 right handed d-men to play with Edler. They tried Salo beside Edler most the yr, but spent the last 1/4 of the season trying to get him out of that position.

3. Get bigger bodies with offensive upside in the lineup - likely to play on Kes wing or move up to play w/ Sedins eventually

So who are the 5 targets for Gillis (that we know of according to Friedman):

1. Sutter. Young, big centreman who plays Malhotra minutes effectively in Carolina.

2. Gudbranson and Carlson. Both young, big and right handed d-men

3. Clifford and Kassian. Both young, big, tough with offensive upside

See a pattern? What's missing? Answer: Another young big centre who can play Malhotra minutes. There aren't many centres in the league who play these type of difficult minutes - so the field significantly narrows. And the only other young, big centre in the league who plays Malhotra minutes effectively is Sean Couturier.

I'd bet big bucks that Couturier was Gillis's 6th target. Obviously he plays a significant role in Philly, which is probably why they didn't make him available. But Phillys going to have cap issues next yr (again). Unless the cap goes up significantly (doubtful under a new CBA) or Pronger is out all next yr, they're gonna have to shed some payroll or not re-sign guys like Carle, Vorachek, Bourdon. Gillis needs to make a huge move to get Couturier out of Philly, cause I don't think Carolina will ever let Sutter go (they've signed all his cousins).

pyatt wont be back in a canucks uniform. his fiancee died, and the canucks left him out to dry.......didn't offer him a contract that season. i could be wrong, but i know that if i was in his situation, i would never work for the canucks organization again.

Anyone who thinks AV can't develop a prospect/young player hasn't watched the Canucks for awhile as he developed many of our star players and impact players not only on the Canucks but back in Winnipeg too. AV is fine for developing what people don't like is that he doesn't give young players a spot they have to earn it and their ice time, AV doesn't throw a young kid into the fire but protects their minutes, pairings and confidence, I believe this is the right way.

Kovy had 37 goals at a cap hit of 6.7 mil last season which equals to 5.6 goals per millionCody had 19 goals at a cap hit of 1.6m last season which equals 11.8 goals per million.Who was the better value. Yes Cody is due to get a raise but NJ is stuck with Kovy's insamely long contract for the next 12 years. Will Kovy still be a 6.7m player when he is 40? Personally I think Buffalo is in the better position.

Carlson

Sutter fro

Carolina

JVR

There was a brown/Clifford package that LA bailed on...sigh, how things would have been different

Burke offered schenn and a second I believe and Gillis told him "Toronto did not have the assets they were looking for"

Not sure if Johansen was on the list, CBJ would not have done one for one

Archived