The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo That Bad? Or Cory Just That Good?

DarkGhost

So I know there has been a lot of news surrounding the team's goal-tending situation now that Luongo has said he would waive his NTC and I've been wondering something...

Fans have been on Luongo's back heavily for the past 2 seasons, some of which has been deserved, and some of which isn't.

Now I am not the biggest Luongo fan in the world but I couldn't help but wonder if all of this negativity towards him is completely warranted.

The thought occurred to me that fans might not be reacting to him so badly because he is playing poorly (sometimes this is this case but not always)...but because Cory has shown that he can play at the same level as Luongo for a much cheaper price.

Luongo is really not a bad goalie and has been one of the top goalies in the league for the last 5-7 years. Yes he has melted down in the playoffs more frequently than we would like (although show me anyone on our team not named Sedin that has shown up the last 2 playoff rounds).

I think though that the real issue is that fans see Cory playing so well and realize that him and Luongo are basically equal right now....except one is making significantly less money per year.

Basically what I'm getting at is............

Is Luongo that bad? (and by bad I mean in comparison to the Jimmy Howards, Tim Thomas, etc) Or is all of this blowing up because Cory is just THAT good?

Thoughts?

No Luongo isn't that bad it is just because Cory is that good.

Cory is better positionally, he doesn't fall down as often, and for the first couple of years as a starter he would probably make less money than he should because he has only been a starter for three games in his NHL career.

Cory is better at a younger age in my opinion

Cory is great. Luo is great.

Cory is young and we'd have a do-over when it comes to not giving a lifetime and beyond contract.

Luo is experienced and a proven performer... we know he can shoulder a heavy work load. Can Cory?

Cory will be cheaper.

I'm torn on what to do to be honest... with that being said, I don't see a way you can possibly trade a young guy with this kind of potential. He looks like he is poised to take the league by storm and become a superstar. Tough choices for MG.

Luongo not even close to being "bad", a lot of the hate directed at him is unwarranted.

it's blowing up because it's Luongo. media jumps on stuff like this. they make it sound like Lu is bad but in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.

i don't know, tbh. Both tenders are fantastic and have their upsides and downsides... we'll see what MG and the Canucks decide on.

Cory is a great goalie, and at the moment Luongo isn't that great just because he knows he has to be nothing but prefect without getting any flak from the media or fans. If and once Luongo leaves for a team like Tampa he will return to his old shape. The pressure of playing in a real hockey market has really gotten to Luongo.

Yes Cory is that good. They are both good goaltenders and some are in the Schneider camp while others are in the Luongo camp.

The money issue doesn't really come into play because Schneiders contract is up and is a RFA in July.

Lets just suppose that Schneider's agent gets a big head and says that Schneider wants $6-6.5M per season if he is going to sign a short 3-5 yr contract. So now the decision is whether Luongo is a better bang for the buck at $5.33 longterm or is Schneider is a better deal at $6+ short term.

So gone are the dreams of freeing up all that capspace and signing a Weber or Suter....the landscape starting to look a bit different?

It may be that Schneider signs a short term for less money than that but you really can't base a decision on the hope that you will have as good a goalie for significantly less money. No one knows,not even MG, what kind of deal Mike Luit will demand.

I also got caught up in the freeing up cap by trading Luo argument but really that is getting way ahead of ourselves because Schneider is not under contract as of July.

Based upon Schneiders statements on the New Hour, he is not willing to be anything other than a starting goalie. Quote: I have earned the right to start, I want to start whether it is here or elsewhere.

So with a statement like that, he does not sound like he is willing to accept too big a home ton discount and definately will not be back as anything other than #1.

Luongo is a great goalie. The numbers back it up. The problem?...... He's not a particularly warm and fuzzy guy. Cory is likeable. The fans relate to him. And his play this season was as good or better than Luongo. Lou loses the popularity contest and is banished to the geek table in the cafeteria.

Cory being absolutely flawless. Luongo is not going to be traded for the hell of it. He will be traded because we have a younger, cheaper, and a little better goalie in Cory Schneider. Luongo has faced the facts, acted like a true pro, with endless class and maturity, and is willing to waive his NTC.

Luongo era is officially, IMO, over.

This is a salary cap world. Bang for the buck is absolutely the most important factor for a team's success. Luongo hasn't been playing like a $5.3 mil goalie. Schneider, on the other hand has been playing better than that. If you've got a #1 goalie next year who puts up numbers like Schneider's, and you're only paying him $2.5-$3 mil...that gives you a huge advantage over most other teams in the league. In short, Luongo costs too much and gives too little back, and its the exact opposite for Schneider.

The problem is that media wants to sell papers and most of you people (especially people who don't know a lot about hockey) buy this drivel and make them money. It's like trolls on CDC, if you people could gain some willpower and stop feeding them they'd go away. We have 2 great goaltenders, not a good one and a mediocre one, like a lot of the media would have you believe.

Luongo is a great goalie, but Schneider is a younger, cheaper alternative. Schneider is set to be a great goalie and we have to keep him. Vancouver drafted him, groomed him, mentored him, and have help make him the player he is. How can we just trad a "franchise" player of that caliber away? That and I have a Schneider signed jersey, so we have to keep him. :lol:

The fact Gillis is going to be able to possibly move Luongo's contract is huge. Signing Luongo that long was a HUGE mistake.

Personally I think Schneider is going to be better than Luongo over his career.

Gee wiz what a problem for the Canucks to have two world class goalies, just be happy that they or anyone for that matter would ever want to play for fans that will turn on you for a single goal. Grow up stuff happens, after all it's only a game..."BALLS"

If you wish to put blame, take a good long look at how the games were called by the refs. Hit an LA player in the box but if an LA player hooks, hacks, slashes, punches, spears, shot to the head, to a Canuck player the ref's go suddenly blind..."BALLS"

Gee wiz what a problem for the Canucks to have two world class goalies, just be happy that they or anyone for that matter would ever want to play for fans that will turn on you for a single goal. Grow up stuff happens, after all it's only a game..."BALLS"

If you wish to put blame, take a good long look at how the games were called by the refs. Hit an LA player in the box but if an LA player hooks, hacks, slashes, punches, spears, shot to the head, to a Canuck player the ref's go suddenly blind..."BALLS"

Right now, Cory is the better goalie and he has the potential to be a star. I just hope the fans and media cut him a little more slack if he has some growing pains while taking over the #1 job.

Cudos to Luongo for showing some real class and humility in his interview today. He earned a little respect from me(not that it matters).

Archived