Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NuckZin2011

I Hate To Admit It But I'm Starting To Agree With Don Cherry...

72 posts in this topic

Oops, should have been 'starting' not 'staring'...post concussion syndrome. :picard:

My football shoulder pads are no smaller than my hockey ones. My helmet however.....

I remember the year Cooper dropped the defenders and everyone on our team got them. like 1988...went from padding to hard plastic/like football pads and immediately we were destroying and knocking people out.

combined with the fact that the average player is getting much bigger and stronger its no surprise that everyone is getting concussed these days.

Another point Grapes makes is "accountability". Basically, back in the day, if you hit a star or ran anybody, you knew that someone on the ice was going to beat your ass. Guys definately take liberties these days because they won't be held accountable on the ice. Would Keith have laid that elbow on Danny if he knew somebody was going to pound on his face?... Nope. It happens over and over, stars get run and nobody beats the crap out of the offender, just a fine and suspension.. Ouch, hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet?! These guys are loaded, fines and suspensions don't work.

The easy fix would be to reduce the size of shoulder pads and elbow pads.

Better to have an injured shoulder than give someone a concussion for the rest of their career.

There dealing with it right! I don't believe Torres hit should of been the big example but it is deff going to hit home with players when a super star is sitting out on a 10 game suspension and his team is sitting in 9th place with 10 games remaining on the season, honestly it's going to be effective shanny is only in year 1? Maybe 2 give it time

60% of the time, he's right EVERY time.

Another point Grapes makes is "accountability". Basically, back in the day, if you hit a star or ran anybody, you knew that someone on the ice was going to beat your ass. Guys definately take liberties these days because they won't be held accountable on the ice. Would Keith have laid that elbow on Danny if he knew somebody was going to pound on his face?... Nope. It happens over and over, stars get run and nobody beats the crap out of the offender, just a fine and suspension.. Ouch, hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet?! These guys are loaded, fines and suspensions don't work.

Don Cherry is the man. He knows hockey like no other. He's almost always right and he doesn't just read the G rated script that CBC hands to him.

Soon nearly every hit where a player gets up slowly is going to be over evaluated. That's not hockey. The game is at such high impact these players don't have time to play nicely, they're crashing and banging. That's how it is.

I don't think you can edit titles...