The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Hate To Admit It But I'm Starting To Agree With Don Cherry...

NuckZin2011

I seem to recall someone saying the equipment manufacturers along with the league will be dealing with this issue next year or in the near future. Right now the outer shells of the shoulder and elbow pads are made of a hard plastic material. I've heard that soft padding will be added to the outsides of the pads to help cushion the blow for those being hit by a body check.

I believe it was Cherry that said the equipment manufacturers should add these paddings to the outsides of these hard outer shells a few years ago on HNIC.

I've always paid attention to Grapes and agreed with what he's had to say, he's one of the few who both understand the game and have the stones to tell it like it is and not care what anyone else thinks. On icing, on equipment, on so many other things he's right, and usually he's the only one talking about this stuff when everyone else is just debating how long a suspension Player X should get.

Another point Grapes makes is "accountability". Basically, back in the day, if you hit a star or ran anybody, you knew that someone on the ice was going to beat your ass. Guys definately take liberties these days because they won't be held accountable on the ice. Would Keith have laid that elbow on Danny if he knew somebody was going to pound on his face?... Nope. It happens over and over, stars get run and nobody beats the crap out of the offender, just a fine and suspension.. Ouch, hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet?! These guys are loaded, fines and suspensions don't work.

I've always paid attention to Grapes and agreed with what he's had to say, he's one of the few who both understand the game and have the stones to tell it like it is and not care what anyone else thinks. On icing, on equipment, on so many other things he's right, and usually he's the only one talking about this stuff when everyone else is just debating how long a suspension Player X should get.

Another point Grapes makes is "accountability". Basically, back in the day, if you hit a star or ran anybody, you knew that someone on the ice was going to beat your ass. Guys definately take liberties these days because they won't be held accountable on the ice. Would Keith have laid that elbow on Danny if he knew somebody was going to pound on his face?... Nope. It happens over and over, stars get run and nobody beats the crap out of the offender, just a fine and suspension.. Ouch, hit 'em where it hurts: in the wallet?! These guys are loaded, fines and suspensions don't work.

I think the extra armor and padding is a great thing. The method of how they're being used is up to the players. No matter how you look at it, these armor are there to protect the players first. If they're being used as weapons, then you might as well make the argument that hockey sticks are too dangerous and should be made of different material.

I agree with a lot of what you said, and with what Don Cherry says.

I think the punishment in this game is ridiculous, especially regarding fines.

Players are not going to give a crap about $2500. They make so much money that it's pocket change to them. They make like a minimum of $500,000 in a year. IF they were making minimum, and most players aren't.....then that's not even a big hit to the wallet.

Weber got a $2500 fine and he makes $7,500,000 this year. He obviously isn't effected by this.

My fisrt post.

I do agree that player now ware 'suits of armour' these days and if they are elbowing people in the head the injurys will be more devistating. There are two sides to this coin though. I agree with what you said, 'the game has evolved (bigger, faster, stronger)' and thats why the players need this equitment with big plastic armour. Players now are expected to go down and block 100mph slaps shots, they are skating around at insane speeds, and playing 82 games a season. If the players today were wearing the leather pads of the 70's and 80's none of them would make it 10 games into the season without being injured. There would be more injuries if the players were playing todays game with pads from 30 years ago, maybe not concusions, but far more injuries. Just some thoughts, feel free to flame me or share your thoughts on the issue.

Part of the problem is that a shoulder or an elbow to the head at speed is concussive. Consistency in punishment and long bans should be brought in now.

Does anyone think that Torres would be less of a head hunter just because he didn't have elbow pads. How do you cope with a stick to the elbow without protection.

While there may be some validity in Cherry's argument he is not comparing like with like. For example in rugby union most players have a mandatory 2 weeks out for concussion, was that ever the case in his day. His point is there are more concussions, My point is how does he know when in his day many probably played with some of the symptoms.

The only way to stamp them out (or at least to a reasonable level) is to firstly, make the punishment fit the crime and secondly refuse to tolerate repeat offenders.............put them out for a season.

For example Keith's hit whether he had a history or not was "outside the game and calculated to injure" We all saw Danny sit out important games while Keith played. That needs to be addressed. I'm not saying Keith calculated his ban but he could have and come to the conclusion it would be worth it because he would be back for the playoffs..........that is not right.

I dont know too much about the equipment myself but it is obviously something that can be looked at. But first imo, there is a huge lack of respect in the league. If you don't respect your opponent then you won't care what happens to them. As an example, we all hate Chicago but we must accept and respect the combination of Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith (as much as i hate to say it).

The league needs respect first and then sort out the equipment.

Bodee, since you are brand new to the game of hockey, we will overlook some of this tripe.

God gave you two ears and one mouth, you should use them in that proportion.

Part of the problem is that a shoulder or an elbow to the head at speed is concussive. Consistency in punishment and long bans should be brought in now.

Does anyone think that Torres would be less of a head hunter just because he didn't have elbow pads. How do you cope with a stick to the elbow without protection.

While there may be some validity in Cherry's argument he is not comparing like with like. For example in rugby union most players have a mandatory 2 weeks out for concussion, was that ever the case in his day. His point is there are more concussions, My point is how does he know when in his day many probably played with some of the symptoms.

The only way to stamp them out (or at least to a reasonable level) is to firstly, make the punishment fit the crime and secondly refuse to tolerate repeat offenders.............put them out for a season.

For example Keith's hit whether he had a history or not was "outside the game and calculated to injure" We all saw Danny sit out important games while Keith played. That needs to be addressed. I'm not saying Keith calculated his ban but he could have and come to the conclusion it would be worth it because he would be back for the playoffs..........that is not right.

Archived