The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Hate To Admit It But I'm Starting To Agree With Don Cherry...

NuckZin2011

I'll bite.

I wasn't talking about solely the visor issue, but his racism towards French-Canadian and European players in general. On the point of military, this has no place in my HOCKEY program. Don Cherry is paid to talk about hockey, I don't care what this buffoon has to say about Canada's foreign policy. It's also cheap patriotism which is not always, or even usually a good thing. Finally, those same soldier that you say ensure my security as Canadian citizen have actually made Canada a more dangerous place to be since they invaded Afghanistan. Do you think Canada was on anyone's list of places to attack before that war? And what about now? I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.

the thing is, they create this amazing equipment to protect body parts, which probably works, but when a hit comes to the head, the helmets are useless against the new gear. goalies, and players are going to have to make sacrifices when it comes to bumps and bruises on their arms and legs if they want to save their heads. it's a small sacrifice if you ask me. but yeah, i agree 100% with don cherry in this case, and it's unfortunate the league hasn't been more proactive in reducing the plastic in the equipments and going back to a more old school foam style. as an added benefit maybe more pucks would get to the net as players wouldnt be diving in front of them at every opportunity.

What about on Europeans, French-Canadians, and putting military garbage in a hockey program? He knows some about the game, granted, but the man is an ignorant, war-mongering racist.

Edit: Add sexist to that as well.

I guess I will bite too. His "racism" is not truely "racism" in the way you say it, IMO. He is prejudice about the way players play hockey, not about where they come from. He says good things about players that play the "Canadian Way" no matter where they come from. Holmstrom in Detroit, St. Louis in Tampa, Z Chara. If they play the way he likes, he will speak positively about them. If not, he will say they play a "European Style" and he will then tell you why he doesn't like it.Regarding him honouring soldiers, you don't have to watch it. It is probably pretty evenly split between people that like it and not. I will point out, it is not "your" hockey program. It is the CBC's program and they have given him a segment after the first period based on the tremendous popularity of his segment. His popularity has only really decreased in the last few years, but is still very high. Part of why people like him so much is that he loves his country so much. He shows this by paying respect to fallen servicemen, who deserve to be given more credit than they are given otherwise. I don't really enjoy watching this either because it makes me sad in the middle of a hockey game. However, I figured out an ingenious method to avoid this. Simply change channel for a couple minutes at the end of his segment. Voila, problem solved. You don't have to agree with the War in Afghanistan to appreciate the ultimate sacrafice someone made. The fact is these soldiers are doing what someone on parliament hill think makes our country safer, not necessarily what they think is best. Personally i don't support the war, but i sure as hell respect the guys that have been sent there, voluntary or not. They can have 30 seconds of my time during a hockey game, I think they deserve it more than the time it takes me to read/post meaningless drivel on CDC.

Soft Europeans?? Here's some facts to consider ....

Richards, Carter, Doughty and Mitchell just sent the Sedins, Salo and friends home for the summer.

Henrick was standing right beside the scorer on the last two Canuck season ending goals. Could have stopped them both with a check. Fact.

Don't let facts stand in the way of your anti Cherry theory.

Grapes rocks!

Even the way he talks about the "Canadian Way" as opposed to other styles of play, and the way he talks about Europeans and French-Canadians as being "soft" is pretty racist. Have you ever met a French-Canadian or European? They are just as likely to be "soft" as an Anglo-Canadian is. I can name dozens of "soft" Anglo-Canadian players. Of course this whole thing with the word "soft" is also contentious, but I'll leave that and we can assume that it's not problematic.

And yes, I can change the channel, but that doesn't change the fact that he's spewing pro-war propaganda. I also don't buy the against-the-war but support-the-troops thing either. Don't get me wrong, being a soldier might take tremendous courage, but it might also take tremendous stupidity or tremendously harsh living circumstances so that the best means to a better livelihood is joining the military. In supporting the troops no matter what, we pay homage to their courage without considering their possible stupidity or less-than-ideal living conditions prior to joining the army. Basically, saying "support the troops no matter what, even if I disagree with the war," takes away from multiple ways in which troops, and future troops, can be supported. Don Cherry, of course, doesn't do subtlety, which is why anything to do with anything other than hockey (and even then) is potentially dangerous and damaging in his hands.

Lets see some evidence of the idiocy:

Nice.

Say what you want here, watch the soccer video and tell me who majority of the "goofs" are.

Nice Canucks history in this one.

etc, etc, etc. I didn't put any military videos cuz that stuff is fairly obvious.

Ok, I'm no hockey equipment expert, but why not make new pads the best of both old and new?

Is there not a way to keep the new hard plastic shells, but then coat them with a half inch of dense foam, maybe even less considering the advances in that industry? That still wouldn't lessen the impact of a hit, in fact it may actually create a "bounce" effect which may increase the result of a hit... but more importantly it would create a cushion effect with equipment > equipment.

And don't anyone steal this before I get the patent! :mad:

Archived