The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows

Super_Canuck

With Burrows entering the last year of his deal next season, signing him to an extension should be made a priority asap. The guy is my favourite player on the team and he's a heart and soul type player. So what do you guys think his value would be on the open market? or what would be a reasonable price for him to sign back with us?

The guy gave the franchise a big time discount and he deserves to be rewarded for his loyalty. Guys like Malhotra and Raymond make more then Burrows which is a travesty. Burr is far more important to this team then those guys.

I would have no problem giving him $3.5M-$4M/season. I hope he retires a Canuck. What do you guys say?

Sorry to say, but I think he gets $4 mil. And if the Canucks won't cough up, I'm sure quite a few other teams will.

Why do I say he gets that much or more? Because he and his agent will want to make up for last contract's underpayment. It was four years at a bargain, after all.

edit: For those who say no way, how do you justify Booth at the same $4 mil, after what Burrows has done for us, without putting Burr on at least the same level?

You know, I have to wonder. I think Burr could be a player that stays with us for the duration and takes a discount every time. Sure a lot of other teams would want a player like him, but he seems like the type of guy who really appreciates the opportunity the Canucks gave him since no one else was going to give him the chance, and is going to repay them with everything he has if he can. I think for him it's really, truly about the hockey, and not the money. Not in the slightest. He deserves it, definitely, but will he push really hard for it? Maybe not.

The only way I could see him moving on is if the Canucks didn't want him anymore at all.

Some of you guys suggesting between 3 and 3.5 million are in for a big shock. Burrows will get at least $4 million and that in itself would be a good deal. His goal total during the last 4 seasons:

2011/2012: 28 goals

2010/2011: 26 goals

2009/2010: 35 goals

2008/2009: 28 goals

Players who put up that kind of goal production over that long a period are generally good for north of $5 million. The only reason he likely won't get that is A) He's a team player and will probably take a discount again and B) He has shown he's fairly unproductive away from the Sedin line, although he is still a great defensive forward and PK'er.

If Gillis can re-sign him to a deal 4 or 5 years long at $4-4.25 million per then I'd be happy. This guy is a true Canuck and should remain one.

Burrows plays his heart out every game. He's a great penalty killer, has hockey smarts, good hands, and a decent shot. Having said that, he is to some extent a beneficiary from the Sedin's level of play and this is shown through his goal totals. He realizes this though, and will not take more than 3.5 million a year. In the end, I believe he will get paid 3-3.5 million a year, which is a good raise for him.

Agreed. Gotta get a deal done ASAP and it'll have to be a little more on the expensive side because his current deal is so ridiculously cheap given all he does on the team.

He'd better not sign anywhere else. He's one of the heart and soul members of the team and our team needs him...and I just bought a $250 jersey of his :)

Archived