The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Samuel Påhlsson & The Third Line

Ẉolverine

***Disclaimer: Semi-long post - press the red "X" located at the top right corner of your screen if you don't possess a sufficient number of brain cells.

I must have been watching different games than most of you people.

I don't know what Pahlsson did to make everyone dislike him so much, but I thought he was a great player. Underrated passer, great on the boards both offensively and defensively, can handle other top centers, not "soft" whatsoever and a smart player in general.

But I guess it's hard for people to notice the pros and cons of a player if it doesn't appear on the stat sheet or in the frame of a goal for / against.

I was forced to make this thread after seeing this ignorant comment:

Kopitar line made Pahlsson line its B***H, let pahlsson go to UFA

I really like Pahlsson, he's a great shut down guy and most of the time you don't even know he's on the ice (meaning he's doing his job).

This goal I quoted was the coaches fault. They put Pahlsson and Malhotra in the defensive zone in case one of them got kicked out of the faceoff circle. The problem with this is that both of the play center and were lost when the play started. Yes Pahlsson hit Brown but then he skated away from him towards the play (into his natural center position) leaving him wide open at the side of the net.

I really like Pahlsson, he's a great shut down guy and most of the time you don't even know he's on the ice (meaning he's doing his job).

This goal I quoted was the coaches fault. They put Pahlsson and Malhotra in the defensive zone in case one of them got kicked out of the faceoff circle. The problem with this is that both of the play center and were lost when the play started. Yes Pahlsson hit Brown but then he skated away from him towards the play (into his natural center position) leaving him wide open at the side of the net.

I also thought Pahlsson's line was good. Pahlsson does the little things right. As a matter of fact in Game 5 I could barely tell the difference between Pahlsson and Hansen, they were both working hard and playing physical. The main problem for us in the series was the team turning over the puck too much. Our defense should have kept their heads up and made better passes.

That is reaching quite far to blame AV. Putting on two centers has been done so often and been done by several coaches. How about the several times they've done something like this and they won the face-off and cleared the puck? Shouldn't the coach be praised for putting out two centermen?

It was just a play that worked out for Brown. He got hit, so he sort of got out of the radar as the play was developing elsewhere on the ice. Brown was just in the right place for the rebound. Sure, you could say Edler should've had him because he happened to be on his side, but it's not like Edler is suppose to only check him and forget any of the play elsewhere. Edler didn't have the strongest series, but these plays happen to even the best defenders. It's easy to sit back and watch all of the replays and say he should've done this and that, but when you're in the game, it's not quite as simple as "he should've stopped the man that scored".

Pahlsson isn't bad, but I would prefer an upgrade in the 3rd line center spot. If Gillis wants to keep moving in the speed/skill direction I would rather use the 3rd line as another offensive line, similar to how we deployed Hodgson earlier. We could try Schroeder there or sign a different UFA.

I wonder if Marcel Goc is available? He's underrated and a solid all-around player with untapped offensive potential. Florida and Vancouver love trading....Plus Florida needs to clear a center spot for Huberdeau.

If you want a guy who is on the downside of his career but who can still check quite well but can't score worth a lick and is average at best in the faceoff circle then he is the guy for you.

I don't think a team should have two guys like Malholtra and Pahlsson because they are somewhat redundant. Malholtra is better in the faceoff circle and Pahlsson is a better checker at this stage but neither can score.

If you want a guy who is on the downside of his career but who can still check quite well but can't score worth a lick and is average at best in the faceoff circle then he is the guy for you.

I don't think a team should have two guys like Malholtra and Pahlsson because they are somewhat redundant. Malholtra is better in the faceoff circle and Pahlsson is a better checker at this stage but neither can score.

Archived