The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Much Will Schneider Get?

FaninON

Considering he is making 900K right now, $2.5-$3.5mil for 3-5 years seems like a fair raise for a guy who has never started more than 30 games in a season. If he signs a 3 year deal and outperforms his contract again, he will only be 29 and still good for a 5+ year deal for more money. I do not see GMMG giving him more than a 3 year deal at this point though, which would make sense for both sides given his age.

We'll probably see a small cap, short term deal. Something like 2 years @ 2.75per or 3 years @ 3 per. The longer the deal the higher the hit. This is beneficial for both Schneider, and whichever organization(including Canucks) holds his rights. Allows cap flexibility for a few years, then when Schneider's contract expires, he is primed for a big pay day.

And what happens if Schneider's agent Mike Liut plays hardball and demands $6M+....then what?

What if Mike Liut tells the Canucks that Schneider has outplayed Luongo this year and with that in mind he demands a raise over what Luo gets?

If that happens, any cap space that some are counting on to sign a FA is gone.

Be careful what we wish for because Schneider is a RFA and offer sheets could very well screw us from having the cap to go after an impact player.

Tricky tricky situation this year with CBA expiration. How does Gillis negotiate and state with confidence the offer he wishes to make (say 3.25mil/year) then finds out on Sept 15th that the cap ceiling drops by 6 mil? Then how, if we go to arbitration with Cory, does an arbitrator state with any confidence what he should get? There are a few other goalies in the same situation this sumer that could see arbitration, or be settled soon after midnight July 1st, but their respective GM's are in the same boat...do we sign based on current revenue sharing percentage or is everything on hold until we learn what that new figure will be? I wouldn't want to be a GM with impact RFA's on my roster right now with a looming re-negotiated cap figure hanging out there. The safe bet is a lower hit for a shorter term, then once a UFA, get the bigger bucks on the table. Gives us a safer evaluation period as well. So I'm gonna say 2.750 over 2 years.

If they trade Luongo than schneider can easily get 3.5 - 4 over 5 years. He's only 26 years old and will be 31 when the contract is up. I think it would be wise to lock him up considering how goaltending comes at a premium nowadays. Plus If he turns "superstar". $3.5-$4 over 5 years will seem like a steal

Archived