The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Much Will Schneider Get?

FaninON

Someone has already beaten me to the 12 years @ a 5.33 mil per year cap hit jest.

So I will answer seriously,

3 years for 10.5 million (3.5 per year)

Then at 28 - 29 if he's still killing it. Then he can get

the 35mil contract for 6yrs.

And what happens if Schneider's agent Mike Liut plays hardball and demands $6M+....then what?

What if Mike Liut tells the Canucks that Schneider has outplayed Luongo this year and with that in mind he demands a raise over what Luo gets?

If that happens, any cap space that some are counting on to sign a FA is gone.

Be careful what we wish for because Schneider is a RFA and offer sheets could very well screw us from having the cap to go after an impact player.

I was completely on the trade Luongo and sign Schneider bandwaggon until my husband pointed out something I never thought of. Schneider hasn't played a complete season yet, so even though he has put up great numbers we still don't know how he is going to perform when he is playing day in and day out. My husband then told me a story of another goal tender. Maybe some of you remember him, Vesa Toskala? For those that don't, Vesa Toskala played for the San Jose Sharks (He was actually drafted before Mika Kiprusoff - also drafted by the Sharks) as a back up to Nabokov. After a couple of seasons doing well as a backup he was given the starter job. Vesa Toskala is no longer in the NHL, but Nabokov is.

I think people are overinflating Schneider's worth. While I hope he lives up to his potential, he hasn't truely be tested yet and until he is truely tested we can't really assess his worth. If the Canucks decide to go to with Schneider over Luongo, I would be surprised to see him signed for more than 2/3 years at an average of 3.5 mill per year. However, I am no expert and am looking forward to see what is added to the team in the off season. I would like to see Cory given a chance and I think Luo would be better off somewhere else (and I would love to see Luo back up to his old form). I also think that Iginla would be a good add to the Canucks next year (if Calgary really is rebuilding then you will probably see him leave).

Of course, this is all depending if Luongo leaves...

But that being said, 2.5 is fair I think, first real big league contract... maybe lock him up for 3 years, that's a good length for a trial run

Cory doesn't seem to be the type to be greedy. He knows what he's worth and what he deserves. he knows he's just starting out and hasn't really done much in his career yet. Ideal situation would be to have both Luongo and Schneider back next year I think....

I think Schneider will take 3m for 3 years. Or ... I hope. Mike Liut isn't as greedy as Winter and has always taken a balanced/even keel approach. He will advise Schneider well.

I can envision both Lu & CS back next year sharing tending duties 50/50 and the "hot" goalie at end of the year gets the bulk of the load heading into the playoffs.

Why would Lu accept this? He, like us, still see the Canucks (when healthy) as having one of the better chances at winning the cup. Lu is a professional, and like all professionals, he will accept that the better player should play ... period.

A decent incrementaly rising base salary, plus signing bonus and performance bonuses is what i would offer him

Signing Bonus 1 mill.

Annual Performance Bonus:

.935 sp + : 500k

Vezina : 1 mill.

Conn Smyth : 1mill.

Archived