The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Win The Cup Next Year - Here's How

jyip

There's no way we keep both Schneids and Luongo even if it works out with the salary cap. Why? Because Schneider is 26 years old and will be 27 next year and is very close to his prime. He will definitely be wanting to start at least 40+ games. He's shown it and he's capable of being a #1. Luongo on the other hand will not opt to play as a back up. His play is starting to diminish and he has to make the most out of his time being a solid #1 before he's really old and unable to put up good numbers.

If we do sign Schneider and match qualifying offers considering he's a RFA, AND is told he will be getting less than 40 starts, I can seriously see him being impatient and kindly ask for a trade before the season starts.

The only scenario where I can see both Luongo and Schneider staying is if the management team splits 82 games evenly for Schneider and Luongo (41 each). I can see Schneider being okay with that but as for Luongo I'm not entirely sold on it.

If prez trophies are the goal, don't change a thing. If we want to aim for the cup, then we have to blow this thing up. A year ago everyone was on the Sedins for not showing up ... Now it's the whole team. This playoff was a disgrace! Where's the heart? Where's the character? Sorry, but the fact that this team looks at Burrows as a "character" guy speaks volumes about the rest of the team. When the chips are down we look to who? Burr? We are doomed. That's why I say blow it up ... A little less Sweden and a lot more Saskatoon.

If prez trophies are the goal, don't change a thing. If we want to aim for the cup, then we have to blow this thing up. A year ago everyone was on the Sedins for not showing up ... Now it's the whole team. This playoff was a disgrace! Where's the heart? Where's the character? Sorry, but the fact that this team looks at Burrows as a "character" guy speaks volumes about the rest of the team. When the chips are down we look to who? Burr? We are doomed. That's why I say blow it up ... A little less Sweden and a lot more Saskatoon.

I pretty much disagree with everything the OP wrote.

1) Kesler is a centre.  While he could be moved to the wing, it doesn't make much sense to do so.  At least at their current levels, none of the players you mentioned to slot into the 2nd line are really 2nd line players.  

2) Burrows is truly a #2 line player.  He is slotted with the Sedins because of all the players we have, he typically works best with them.  What we need is a bonifide, big, strong 1st line winger to play with the Sedins, then Burrows can move down.  This will likely have the added effect of lessening Burrows' contract expecations when his contract is up a year later.  *Most* teams have not figured out how to beat the Sedins - though less reliance on them for our scoring would be nice.

3) Keeping both goalies is unrealistic, illogical, and will not happen.

4) Of course we can use more size on the blueline.  Who can't?  We could probably use a bit more skill too.

5) Raymond will not stick around unless he resorts to being paid half of what he was this year.  He's ok defensively, but doesn't at all have the strength we're looking for... especially not on our lower 2 lines.  IMO, there are far better options out there for such a position.

Here's what we REALLY need to do:

1) As mentioned, get a beast to play on the top line.  Think of a guy like Doan or Hartnell.  This moves Burrows down to the 2nd line.  Hopefully Booth regains form and Kesler fully recovers and becomes beastlike again.

2) Sign a big name defenseman.  Someone like Webber would be great, but Suter, Wideman,Stuart or Kuba would help a lot too.  

3) Ship out Luongo, bring up Lack if he's ready.  If not, sign one of the many decent UFA's available for under 1m.

4) Get 1-2 players with size and grit on the 4th line and perhaps 3rd line if Malhotra doesn't get back to form.  Players like Tootoo or Asham.  

Here's a sample of the kind of team we could most certainly have without too much difficulty:

Sedin Sedin Doan

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Asham Malhotra Tootoo

Wideman/Stuart Edler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Salo Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Ok.  Done.

I pretty much disagree with everything the OP wrote.

1) Kesler is a centre. While he could be moved to the wing, it doesn't make much sense to do so. At least at their current levels, none of the players you mentioned to slot into the 2nd line are really 2nd line players.

2) Burrows is truly a #2 line player. He is slotted with the Sedins because of all the players we have, he typically works best with them. What we need is a bonifide, big, strong 1st line winger to play with the Sedins, then Burrows can move down. This will likely have the added effect of lessening Burrows' contract expecations when his contract is up a year later. *Most* teams have not figured out how to beat the Sedins - though less reliance on them for our scoring would be nice.

3) Keeping both goalies is unrealistic, illogical, and will not happen.

4) Of course we can use more size on the blueline. Who can't? We could probably use a bit more skill too.

5) Raymond will not stick around unless he resorts to being paid half of what he was this year. He's ok defensively, but doesn't at all have the strength we're looking for... especially not on our lower 2 lines. IMO, there are far better options out there for such a position.

Here's what we REALLY need to do:

1) As mentioned, get a beast to play on the top line. Think of a guy like Doan or Hartnell. This moves Burrows down to the 2nd line. Hopefully Booth regains form and Kesler fully recovers and becomes beastlike again.

2) Sign a big name defenseman. Someone like Webber would be great, but Suter, Wideman,Stuart or Kuba would help a lot too.

3) Ship out Luongo, bring up Lack if he's ready. If not, sign one of the many decent UFA's available for under 1m.

4) Get 1-2 players with size and grit on the 4th line and perhaps 3rd line if Malhotra doesn't get back to form. Players like Tootoo or Asham.

Here's a sample of the kind of team we could most certainly have without too much difficulty:

Sedin Sedin Doan

Booth Kesler Burrows

Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Asham Malhotra Tootoo

Wideman/Stuart Edler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Salo Tanev

Schneider

Lack

Ok. Done.

About No,3, I think we need to consider the future of Schneider, and the position of Luongo. Schneider wants to play at least 30 games, starting next season(Still a late start for Schneider, who is currently 27 years old.), and Luongo wants to be traded to a different team.

Vancouver needs a different agenda.

ahmm ... Tweet and twitter are 2 different things. Tweeting is like tinkering around under the hood of your car ... maybe adjust the clutch engagement point, adjusting the throttle cable, maybe changing the timing a bit. Twitter or twitting on the otherhand ... is where we go to waste time saying stuff online that nobody cares about. If twitter is all it takes ... I think Canucks would've won the damn thing by now. God forbid ... I think every freakin canucks player has at least 1 twitter account!

ahmm ... Tweet and twitter are 2 different things.  Tweeting is like tinkering around under the hood of your car ... maybe adjust the clutch engagement point, adjusting the throttle cable, maybe changing the timing a bit.  Twitter or twitting on the otherhand ... is where we go to waste time saying stuff online that nobody cares about.  If twitter is all it takes ... I think Canucks would've won the damn thing by now.  God forbid ... I think every freakin canucks player has at least 1 twitter account!

Archived