The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Av Hasn't Done A Bad Enough Job To Get Fired

Sixteen W's

The team won 8 out of the last 9 games in the regular season without Daniel Sedin and nearly no secondary scoring.

AV did what he could, juggling the lines to find a combination that could score some goals. Some lines looked promising, but none of them actually scored any goals.

When a coach has no offense to work with and still manages to win in the regular season, he deserves some credit. He couldn't cut the icetime of top players because the bottom six wasn't built for scoring.

LA was the better team in the playoffs, and AV actually made adjustments. Special teams lost the first two games, then the team was much better in the last three. You can't blame stupid penalties and turnovers on the coach. The players admitted as much that the first two games were the biggest reason to losing the series.

Firing AV doesn't give enough responsibility for the loss on the players. The Canucks have been good at saying all the right things, but it didn't show on the ice. AV deserves more credit than he gets.

If anything, for a team that wants to get younger, I'm more upset with management that's only managed to draft Mason Raymond that's still in the team's lineup since Gillis took over.

Av is a fine coach, but he will not be able to bring the Cup here.

He has many accolades and awards to show for it, but the last piece in the puzzle, the holy grail eludes him. All those pretty things are in the past, especially after such an unceremonious first round exit.

Too many times the Canucks have leaned on the comeback in the 3rd period, leaned on the dump and chase game, leaned on their goaltender when the defence took a siesta. These issues fall under the coaches jurisdiction.

His doghouse also made no sense.

The coach is the one who makes the players accountable. Calling them out in a press conference is unprofessional. After he threw Kesler under the bus, I believe the team tuned him out and lost respect for him.

There is no getting that back. Better to start fresh.

Mason had major injury last season . Why you forgot that ? And 10 months ago doctor told him " might You couldn't skate on ice in future " ( ask ur self if you were mason' spot . how do you relized after hear this report ? ) beause it was really bad incident in 2010-11 stanley cup final series against bruins . but thank god he got better now . He didn't make pre season camp and returned in line up 2nd week of December 2011 . It is too hard to come back in his best form .

We will see in next season . He will show everybody " who is mason Raymond and his hockey "

That's all

Go Canucks Go ( go van go )

It's time for a change. A new culture is needed. If you couldn't see the way the players looked the last couple of months and realised something wasn't right or the same, so be it. For Gillis to back up AV is because he is kinda the architect of the down fall in round one of the play-offs. Trading away Hodgson , Grabner, Erhoff must have been with the OK of AV. So they both need to go.AV and his flunkies, and the GM. They did that but still signed and played an aging Salo who was too slow and too old. For much of the yr as usual AV relied on his boy Burrows, and towards the end even he was burned out. I really think the Hodgson trade stifled any enthusiasm the team had. What happened to Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis ? Wasn't there enough talent to put together some guys that could win or had they simply lost their enthusiasm. Oh yeah it happens, and they don't even realise it.

I guess if you set your standard of performance at "Not Bad" then you ar ecorrect, he doesn't deserve to ge tfired.

Lu likely doesn't deserve to be traded either but it may be a move that makes the team better and re-focuses them.

Same can be said for a coaching change. Look at Hitchcock!! He got fired an now has a chance in less than a season with St Louis, to takt them to the cup.

AV's appoach to player treatment has been suspect (Ballard, Raymond, Rome, Hodgson etc) and over time, all of hte favoritism and dog-house punishments build up. He was unable to get this group to motivate for 3 months!! THe system that got shut down last year in the playoffs (except for SJS) was employed again this year with even worse results.

AV is a system coach and his system has been dissected by other coaching staqff and no longer works.

HIs inability to change things, motivate and adapt mena it is time for a fresh approach for this group.

PUt it this way...If you bought into a coach's system and put everything you had into it and it failed (and you knew it failed), how keen would you be next year to put everything you had into the same system?

More specifically --- I'm addressing the "AV must go" contingent --- who out there would be an improvement over AV? That question never gets answered among that crowd, who seem to me to just want change for the sake of change. I don't doubt Montreal would give him another chance --- the time is right for that --- but, I hope MG doesn't make him walk the plank this off-season.

i like av and how he speaks in interviews. seems to care a lot about his players.

that is the impression i have and the one i have been spoon fed through the media.

i thought coho was a team player who wanted to play for the vancouver. guess i was wrong about that one.

i am left with the very real feeling that i know the team as players and coaches, nothing more. it would be difficult for us to truely know what the players are thinking about av.

what ever happens to the players or coach, i hope we can keep a team identity. i would wish all who may move on the best of luck with where they go.

i truely hope the canucks enjoy the golf course this spring. remember, it's just a game. golf is just a game, hockey is something else.

I think the problem with AV is his adaptation to the "meta game" of hockey. He cannot out adapt any other coach. Look at Boston's play, look at the King's play. His system just doesn't work against defense oriented team's that have the ability to finish chances. That being said, where is his emotion or passion on the bench to get his players fired up? Look at Suter. He was personally calming Doughty down and telling him what to do. What was AV doing? Chewing gum. AV is not a bad coach, but he is not a GREAT coach. He's gotten them close to the cup, but has never got it. Great regular season, with no finish. I think it's time for a change.

Av is a great coach, he's one of the best. Av should stay in Vancouver where next year the players need to fully recover from there injuries ie kelser,edler.

Its not that the players arent motivated I believe they are emotionally drained and mentally fatigue.

Like Boom Boom said after playing boston it felt like 2 years as gone by before the playoff started.

AV needs to stay.

The team won back to back President's cups --------- playing in the weakest division in the league.

Good job or by AV or not changes are required and it is always easier to replace the coach than a core player.

Montreal will love AV, perhaps the nucks could get a draft pick for "allowing him to go".

Archived