The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Vancouver Canucks Trade Ryan Kesler? It's Not Unthinkable

Mookie Wilson

Link: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Vancouver+Canucks+trade+Ryan+Kesler+unthinkable/6513132/story.html

If Gillis decides he'd like to give this team a new look, I think he will strongly consider trading Kesler. This article draws attention to the rationale for trading Kesler, including: 1) remaking the team's image, 2) remaking the team's on-ice make-up, which over the last few seasons has lived & died with Kesler's production 3) practical considerations (i.e. Kesler does not now have a NTC, but will have one kicking in soon), 4) Kesler's trade value. I will let the article speak for itself on those matters.

One thing the article does not consider is how the Canucks could actually improve next year after trading Kesler. Yes, the Flyers traded both Richards and Carter last off-season and seem to be both younger and better this year. But they already had Giroux and Briere in place as top-2 centres. The Canucks do not have an internal replacement for Kesler. And furthermore, what team is going to give up a centre as effective as Kesler in any trade?

While I would support trading Kesler as a means to re-making the team's image and picking up pieces towards the development of a new, younger core, I cannot fathom how the Canucks could do that while remaining a contender next season.

No way they trade him. He is a heart and soul player and will do anything to win. He is a very important part of this organization and a core member. Besides MG just traded Hodgson. If Kesler was going don't you think MG would have traded him instead, and given Cody the minutes he was crying for?

I think he needs to stop playing if he's injured. he clearly doesn't do as well as he normally does and an upper body injury since Feb is not good. The team has a lot of depth and I can understand him wanting to play but the lack of production this season should be a big wake up call for him. Playing injured is not helping the team. He needs to pull himself together and recover over the summer.

$5M per season is a steal for a player like Kesler, compared to the likes of contracts signed as early as last off-season (Leino in Buffalo, Connolly in Toronto to name a few that each make $4.5M per).

Kesler had an off year, that is no reason to drive him out of town.

What the hell? Why would we trade him? If we were going to trade him we would have kept CoHo.

Kesler won the Selke trophy last year and had hip surgery in the off season so he couldn't work out and was behind all season. At the end of the year his shoulder was messed up and now he may need shoulder surgery. If he gets the shoulder surgery done early enough Kesler will be able to work out all summer and he will return to his dominate form. It would be the dumbest move Gillis has done if he trades Kesler.

I also think with a full summer of working out and training Malhotra will return to form next year. People don't realize how being hurt all summer and not being able to work out really, really affects your game. Look at Stamkos. In the first half of his first season in the NHL he was struggling. The second half of that season he turned it around. You know why? Cause he got into shape.

I know my opinion like Ian's is in the minority but I believe it is time to do deal Kesler. The offence was very anemic in the playoffs and in the end irregardless of whether Kes was injured or not, he is to shoulder a lot of the blame for it. His antics are also getting very old. He was told to stop his whining and his crap before the start of last season and clearly the message has not been sent to him. Game 1 of the playoffs was a prime example and it continued through out. He defines why so many other teams hate our team. I have also heard several people say (some related to the canucks) that Kesler is not really well liked in the locker room. Will not really divulge names but it is something that many people say and all rumors have a hint of truth to them.

I think if Gillis wants to send a message to the team and say I am not going to take this crap of under performing in the playoffs then Kesler is the guy to trade. Now there are problems, such as no second line center waiting on the wings. Undoubtedly, the trade would be slightly convuluded as you would have to get a second line center however I think if we could do Shea Weber+ for Kesler or that type of elite defencemen, you would have to STRONGLY consider it and probably pull the trigger

$5M per season is a steal for a player like Kesler, compared to the likes of contracts signed as early as last off-season (Leino in Buffalo, Connolly in Toronto to name a few that each make $4.5M per).

Kesler had an off year, that is no reason to drive him out of town.

Archived