Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

There's One, Glaring, Major Upside For An Early Elimination.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Players like Kesler and Malhotra get a full offseason to heal up. That alone, in my opinion, is enough to be okay with the elimination.

#2 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Doesn't Kesler already need another surgery? If anything this will just be another summer where he'll sit out rehabbing.

#3 Giroux28

Giroux28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Also give Kassian a full summer to workout with the Canucks trainers. Watch out for him next year.

Posted Image

Pacific Hockey League Commissioner | Colorado Avalanche General Manager

#4 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,333 posts

Players like Kesler and Malhotra get a full offseason to heal up. That alone, in my opinion, is enough to be okay with the elimination.

I strenuously object.

There's no upside ever for an early elimination.

I am not okay with this team missing the playoffs.
I am not okay with this team getting eliminated in the first round.
I am not okay with this team getting eliminated ever!

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#5 Onions

Onions

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

I think Kesler is pushing way too hard this season. Holding on the his stick too tightly.
A injury since Feb. is not something you hold off to fix till April.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Also give Kassian a full summer to workout with the Canucks trainers. Watch out for him next year.

hopefully not. I'd rather him have a full summer with gary roberts or anyone else.

#7 Demo250

Demo250

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

Malhotra is injured? I'm pretty sure they have already done everything they can with his eye? That's just the way it's gonna be for him from now on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I think Kesler is pushing way too hard this season. Holding on the his stick too tightly.
A injury since Feb. is not something you hold off to fix till April.

If it means a season ending recovery then yes it does especially when you play like warrior like he does
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#9 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Doesn't Kesler already need another surgery? If anything this will just be another summer where he'll sit out rehabbing.

No. They have to look at his injury and see. :rolleyes: He won't have surgery, the injury was used more as an excuse for poor play than anything.

After the 2009/2010 Kesler in his exit interview said almost the exact same thing as he did this year and no surgery ever happened that offseason.

Trevor Linden was certainly playing hurt in 1994 when he scored 2 Goals in Game#7. Was Kesler playing hurt? Perhaps but not hurt enough to excuse poor play and flopping. If his shoulder was really badly hurt perhaps he shouldn't have kept flopping to the ice because that couldn't have helped.

#10 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

People who don't play hockey shouldn't be lecturing real hockey players on how to do their jobs.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#11 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

Trevor Linden was certainly playing hurt in 1994 when he scored 2 Goals in Game#7. Was Kesler playing hurt? Perhaps but not hurt enough to excuse poor play and flopping. If his shoulder was really badly hurt perhaps he shouldn't have kept flopping to the ice because that couldn't have helped.

Yup, all inuries are the same too. If you have a broken leg, and I have a strained wrist, you better be able to give me a good wrestling match, because hey, we are both hurt.

#12 woot

woot

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

There is reason to be optimistic about next year - trading Lou/Schneids alone should be a big help. A long offseason can't hurt.

Edited by woot, 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

Formerly FANHL GM of NYR

#13 Odjickwillkillyou

Odjickwillkillyou

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Michael Wilbon disagrees.

"Just cause I am from Cali does not mean I am not a Canuck. We are all Canucks!"

Special thanks to Marleau 12 for the siggy...

"Gino's got the Zaaaaaaaaaaaa's"

#14 D'Trevmo

D'Trevmo

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

The major upside to the canucks early elimination is the focus the whitecaps will get this spring/summer now that they stand alone in the vancouver sporting landscape. If all we talk about all summer is "what do the canucks need to do for next year" and disregard the whitecaps who are actually playing, I will be upset. I hope to see a lot of sellouts this summer at BC Place without the competition of the canucks for attention.

#15 crime911

crime911

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

I strenuously object.

Posted Image

#16 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

Yup, all inuries are the same too. If you have a broken leg, and I have a strained wrist, you better be able to give me a good wrestling match, because hey, we are both hurt.

Using your analogy, Kesler was the one with the strained wrist and Linden was the one with the broken leg.

Linden played the last 4 games of the Stanley Cup with cracked ribs and torn rib cartilage. http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=397641

Kesler played with a shoulder injury that wasn't bad enough to even be given a maintenance day down the stretch.

Edited by gradin123, 25 April 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#17 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

No. They have to look at his injury and see. :rolleyes: He won't have surgery, the injury was used more as an excuse for poor play than anything.

After the 2009/2010 Kesler in his exit interview said almost the exact same thing as he did this year and no surgery ever happened that offseason.

Perhaps you need to change your name to Dr.gradin123, since you obviously know more than any of us about his injury and what he will and will not need

#18 antagonising

antagonising

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Personally I agree.

For those of us that watched the exit interviews we heard that the off season means a lot. Malholtra and Raymond both started the season late due to their injuries. Malholtra's eye is continuing to improve but more-so, is his confidence. Neither player felt they were up to their usual game.

While Bieksa and Kesler admitted to injuries both were quick to mention they won't use that as an excuse. Whether Kes needs surgery or not isn't the issue, getting him rehabbed is. It's not a matter of playing through pain, its a matter of trying to make a move and your body physically not responding. I've torn a shoulder too, whether it hurt or not, drunk or sober, I could NOT lift that arm past level.

I don't think we are debating a long offseason vs. the cup. I think the OP was pointing out the silver lining. I agree. It will be good to have our players fit, focus and rested for next season, plus allowing new players like Kassian to work with training staff and hone skills.
Posted Image
Started watching Canucks when Glen Hanlon was in net!

#19 arsenalian

arsenalian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Uh, the hip surgery we're all talking about says HI

edit: Doh, just realized the surgery would have been the next offseason :bigblush:

Edited by arsenalian, 25 April 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#20 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Yeah, let's start looking at the positives. We also get a higher draft pick. :)
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#21 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Uh, the hip surgery we're all talking about says HI

I'm not talking about last year. He clearly was playing through significant injury last year. I am talking about the 2009/2010 season. In that years playoffs he had 1 Goal in 12 Games and afterwards said he was playing through a shoulder injury that may need surgery. No surgery ever happened.

#22 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

People who don't play hockey shouldn't be lecturing real hockey players on how to do their jobs.

I suppose you would never tell any politicians how to do their jobs would you?

#23 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Perhaps you need to change your name to Dr.gradin123, since you obviously know more than any of us about his injury and what he will and will not need

He said the exact same thing after the 2010 season when he had a poor playoffs. Fool me once shame on me, but you ain't fooling me twice.

Remember this

. http://www2.canada.c...68-1834ced84404

Sound familiar? If it is not an excuse then why does it keep coming up. There was no surgery that offseason.

Edited by gradin123, 25 April 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#24 realnucksfan2010

realnucksfan2010

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

There is no upside to being the pres trophy winner and going out in 5 games in the first round.
What is worse is the way they lost, this team appeared to have no desire this year, it was painful to watch.
As far as rest goes it will be good, but that's about it for up side to going down early.
Mabey the other upside could be that the team has more time to search their hearts and see if they can't find some pride for next season and the will to bring home the cup.
Happy golfing boys!

#25 Flintigen

Flintigen

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I strenuously object.

Do you understand what an upside even is? Things are rarely, if ever, all good or all bad.

#26 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I don't think we would have won the cup. Early exit is better than 2nd, 3rd round. More time to rest/recover

#27 danjr

danjr

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Lets put it this way.
Not all injuries are the same. I blew my knee out. It healed but I had no strength in it. There was no pain, but I just could not get that leg to perform for two years.

I am sure that Keslers injury could be similar. He looks fine, but his body just didn't generate the strength needed to be effective.
Calling dibs on a Presidents trophy. Boy did I call that right X2.

#28 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

That's a scary thought im sure AV and MG have a game plan and discuss what they want and expect from him next year.

Being a man child at the age of 21 6'4 and 230 pounds with the potential to still get bigger and stronger definitely watch out.
http://Posted Image

#29 CanuckinEdm

CanuckinEdm

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Do we pick earlier now too?

#30 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Do we pick earlier now too?

Not really. The Canucks pick 26th.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.